What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

Monica Lennon would be the Kezia choice - good person, good intentions, someone who could be leader in at least 10 years but is much too young and inexperienced. She'd get chewed up by her own party.

Jackie Baillie seems has a remarkable record holding her own seat and bucking the trend going on all around her. But at a national level I think she would mostly garner hostility.

Ian Murray would be flatly rejected by the Corbynistas.

It's hard to see past Sarwar.

2 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I’ve met Neil Bibby and he was alright, although he’s a complete nobody so your point still stands. 

Aye I'm sure some of them are quite personable in private and that but Lennon seems quite well regarded, has been the name behind a recently passed universally approved bill, and crucially has attracted the ire of Wings at some point.

Aye I'm sure some of them are quite personable in private and that but Lennon seems quite well regarded, has been the name behind a recently passed universally approved bill, and crucially has attracted the ire of Wings at some point.
The limited experience I have of meeting MSPs at committee level, they, in the main, mostly seem decent, pragmatic, able and willing to engage with issues, irrespective of party.

The issue is the party - as soon as a meeting concludes the party line and mantra takes over again. The problem Labour have is their party line has been best served with a glass of kool aid for a good few years now.

11 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Sarwar at evens looks a bet. Too soon for Lennon, Murray won't give up his Westminster seat, the rest are either clownshoes or nobodys.

It's just hit me how I know more about American politics than I do my own country, hardly know any of them. Is there not a chance that Murray might be fed up with the pointless job of shadow Scotland Secretary and realises he's going to stay there until Labour get another Scottish MP, which looks like a long time?

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's just hit me how I know more about American politics than I do my own country, hardly know any of them. Is there not a chance that Murray might be fed up with the pointless job of shadow Scotland Secretary and realises he's going to stay there until Labour get another Scottish MP, which looks like a long time?

Nope. He's got a good grip on the party's attitude towards Scotland.

5 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Nope. He's got a good grip on the party's attitude towards Scotland.

But does he ever get invited to important cabinet meetings, except the photo op ones where everyone gets in? Must be a bit humiliating if he's after the limelight.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

But does he ever get invited to important cabinet meetings, except the photo op ones where everyone gets in? Must be a bit humiliating if he's after the limelight.

I'm not sure. That article basically saying him and Baillie and that lectured Rayner on what the script was with Leonard suggests that he has some clout. The party at large haven't the faintest clue what to do about Scotland. There's a serious contingent of members who think Murray and Baillie should be listened to because of their constituency success.

This 'the problem is that people just don't know the Labour Party are unionists' hot take (Jack McConnell's drinking buddy on Newsnight this evening) is sumptuous. Jackie Baillie or Anas Sarwar trying to outstaunch the Tories for the '50-75 Rangers fan vote' while leaving the rest of the electorate alone sounds like a sure-fire winner.

38 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Sarwar at evens looks a bet. Too soon for Lennon, Murray won't give up his Westminster seat, the rest are either clownshoes or nobodys.

Facebook lobby page United against separation ( except the EU) are backing Sarwar.   I've his cousin on my FB page.  

3 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I'm not sure. That article basically saying him and Baillie and that lectured Rayner on what the script was with Leonard suggests that he has some clout. The party at large haven't the faintest clue what to do about Scotland. There's a serious contingent of members who think Murray and Baillie should be listened to because of their constituency success.

Is there anyone you think might have a chance outside Sarwar, Ballie and Lennon?

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Is there anyone you think might have a chance outside Sarwar, Ballie and Lennon?

I don't think Lennon will run. Sarwar was Leonard's only challenger last time and it was really timing that cost him more than anything. With Baillie fairly soundly beating Kerr and most of the Corbynistas either leaving or falling in line there's no real bloc to coalesce around someone else and no ideas other than rampant unionism. 

I don't want Lennon to run either. She's a decent enough MSP that shouldn't take that job and all the shite it entails. She's not going to do Wightman levels of good shit where she is but she can probably do better without having to age 10,000 years dealing with Sarwar and Baillie's pettiness.

Edited by NotThePars