What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

5 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

Posted without comment.

Aye, because he's always had great instincts about his home nation. From a Unionist point of view, having Douglas Alexander go and take his sister-wife out the back and shot for her "Bring it on" chat was a huge mistake. Pre crash and around the time of Brown's superman routine would have been the best time to smother the Indy movement.

51 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

This is my attempt from memory

Donald Dewar

Jack McConnell

Iain Gray

Wendy Alexander

Johann Lamont

Jim Murphy

Kezia Dugdale

Richard Leonard

Is that in chronological order or in order of who you would trust most organise a piss up in a brewery?

1 minute ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Is that in chronological order or in order of who you would trust most organise a piss up in a brewery?

Ian Gray wouldn’t be able to find the brewery and Murphy wouldn’t even have got an invite.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Don't see why, they've got the electoral roll computerised so all they have to do is send it to the printers. They'll have to order more paper and ink in but there's 4 months till the election. Only people raising it so far as I can see are Unionist hacks, not surprising looking at the polls.

The Electoral Management Board gave detailed evidence and this was covered in committee and chamber when the legislation was being drafted and debated. I think this stuff is much more complex than it looks, to ensure security and transparency, so I would take their word for it.

1 hour ago, Gordon EF said:

Jesus. Just wikid it. Wendy Alexander was leader for about a year. Who knew eh?

Nine months, but yeah, in my memory it was less than that. She contrived to lose her job over a donation for an election campaign in which she was the only candidate.

The cause of her resignation looks pathetic by today's standards - a £950 contribution to her Labour leadership campaign from someone who was resident in Jersey, so not allowed to donate to a UK party. When it came to light she returned the money. The Electoral Commission concluded there wasn't a need to take action and the Scottish Parliament overwhelmingly voted not to suspend her, but she resigned anyway rather than have it hang over the summer.

I don't think she was a leader but she had had a genuine understanding of and real interest in the nitty-gritty of social policy. She's much smarter than her brother and had a better understanding of Scottish politics. Scottish Labour have no-one even close to her level of ability now. 

7 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Nine months, but yeah, in my memory it was less than that. She contrived to lose her job over a donation for an election campaign in which she was the only candidate.

The cause of her resignation looks pathetic by today's standards - a £950 contribution to her Labour leadership campaign from someone who was resident in Jersey, so not allowed to donate to a UK party. When it came to light she returned the money. The Electoral Commission concluded there wasn't a need to take action and the Scottish Parliament overwhelmingly voted not to suspend her, but she resigned anyway rather than have it hang over the summer.

I don't think she was a leader but she had had a genuine understanding of and real interest in the nitty-gritty of social policy. She's much smarter than her brother and had a better understanding of Scottish politics. Scottish Labour have no-one even close to her level of ability now. 

Yeah, I thought it was her "Bring it on" chat about an Indy Ref that spooked Brown and ended up being the underlying cause of her removal.

22 minutes ago, GordonS said:

That's the sort of corruption that your average Tory cabinet minister knocks out before lunch these days.

Edited by Gordon EF

11 minutes ago, renton said:

So, since Devolution we've had 9 Labour leaders, 5 Tories, 4 Lib Dems, 3 SNP and the Greens have their fucked up Co-Convenor structure so who knows, but I think its 3.

The Lib Dems would surely have had more leaders if there was more, you know... Lib Dems.

47 minutes ago, renton said:

So, since Devolution we've had 9 Labour leaders, 5 Tories, 4 Lib Dems, 3 SNP and the Greens have their fucked up Co-Convenor structure so who knows, but I think its 3.

Ten individuals have held the top role in the Greens since devo either as sole leader or co-conveners/co-leaders. The party changed from a co-convener model to a co-leader model with their 2019 constitution.

2 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

It's like a list of managers through a club's golden era and then subsequent descent into mediocrity. Names we all remember at the beginning and then a long list of spectacularly short-lived disasters before the club finally accepts it's new found position and let's an absolute haddy sit in the job for years whilst achieving nothing except an incompetently managed decline.

Why is this making me think about how Willie Rennie has been leader of the Scottish Lib Dems for 10 years, despite routinely polling in single digits and behind the Greens?