What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

Anyway, I got the impression from the Scottish hustings that Starmer and Nandy were going to stiff RLB when Keir won. If she doesn’t get a cabinet position (she was good in her role under Corbyn) then it’s clear he’s at it.

Is it okay to think that Diane Abbott isnt a brilliant politician but, at the same time, think that much of the stick she received was over the top and, at least a little bit, racially-motivated? Cos that's where I am.

My dislike of Abbott is nothing to do with race, not even in the slightest. I know people who have been subjected to spit attacks and exposed to months of worry not knowing if they have hep c, hiv etc. Ms Abbott thinks that police officers should be spat at and not allowed to use spit hoods. This despite her own son recently being charged with spitting on police officers.

Im sure on a local level she is a great MP but feel she was wholly out of her depth with her position in the cabinet, especially at a time when she appeared to be ill. I felt she was targeted in a very horrible manner for the drinking on the train carry on and that was an absolute shame.

Is it okay to think that Diane Abbott isnt a brilliant politician but, at the same time, think that much of the stick she received was over the top and, at least a little bit, racially-motivated? Cos that's where I am.
Yep. As others have said, loads of politicians make a c**t of it on a regular basis, yet she has become a household name for that reason. Anyone claiming she isnt treated disproportionately is fucking delusional, and once that is established, it's not hard to run down the potential reasons for it.

The folk that deny it will be the same folk that vehemently deny the press agenda agaisnt Meghan Markle

Ok, so with the big changes in London, where does this leave Scottish Labour?

Regardless of who was replacing Corbyn, the Scottish arm of the party was always needing serious review, but it never seemed to happen. Will it happen now or will the “nothing to see here” attitude continue? Murphy, Dugdale and Leonard have guided the party through a continued downward spiral, at a rate of knots and that’s been represented in every General, Scottish, EU and Council election over the last couple of years.

6 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Ok, so with the big changes in London, where does this leave Scottish Labour?

Regardless of who was replacing Corbyn, the Scottish arm of the party was always needing serious review, but it never seemed to happen. Will it happen now or will the “nothing to see here” attitude continue? Murphy, Dugdale and Leonard have guided the party through a continued downward spiral, at a rate of knots and that’s been represented in every General, Scottish, EU and Council election over the last couple of years.

Baillie winning is far more damaging for the party than whoever was gonna win down south*. Scottish Labour are never gonna win up here again and should be structuring themselves to become a competent and coherent left wing critic of the SNP which would first necessitate ditching the kamikaze unionism. Instead they've elected possibly the most prominent nutjob unionist in the party to a senior role and activists I know are still insisting Labour can win next year. It's delusional stuff.

*That said Starmer's strategy of telling voters that believe in independence to basically vote SNP next year and they might consider that a mandate is one of the funniest electoral strategies I've seen in years.

3 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Fedarlism klaxon sounded already 

I've seen Paul Sweeney and Rory Scothorne batting back and forth on this since December and I haven't seen a single argument from Sweeney's side (that support federalism) that makes federalism seem remotely capable of becoming a notable option on the table either at a Scottish level or across the UK. The horse has bolted, it's independence or nothing.

8 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

The Shadow Cabinet is fine for what to expect and it’s really funny that Phillips has got nothing and Reeves got a nothing job.

I attended the Liverpool hustings earlier this year and I thought her attitude was shocking. Rolling eyes and calling the rest of them out for the election and antisemitism stuff, which is fair enough but it was the manor in which she was doing it.

She wasn't a serious contender, hence why she dropped out. It's no surprise either that she hasn't been given a shadow role.

She plays the "I'm a mum card" quite a lot as well.

28 minutes ago, zidane's child said:

I attended the Liverpool hustings earlier this year and I thought her attitude was shocking. Rolling eyes and calling the rest of them out for the election and antisemitism stuff, which is fair enough but it was the manor in which she was doing it.

She wasn't a serious contender, hence why she dropped out. It's no surprise either that she hasn't been given a shadow role.

She’s a vacuous bint.  I think it’s hilarious that she got nothing.

47 minutes ago, zidane's child said:

David Brent with none of the charm.

9 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Yes.  In words and figures.

Am I missing something here?

The vidiprinter of facts confirms incredulous figures with words.

Ian Murray would do well to moderate his calorific intake and seek metabolic balance. Should he not, he will continue to limit himself within a shell that is completely unnecessary and unhealthy for a young man