What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

Starmer wins.

Sure does, a shift back to the Centre Right ground for the party. The next few months at national level will be interesting. Seems to me like the party shift over the last 5 years has been in vain.

It will also be interesting which of Corbyn’s people remain part of things as well.

14 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Sure does, a shift back to the Centre Right ground for the party. The next few months at national level will be interesting. Seems to me like the party shift over the last 5 years has been in vain.

It will also be interesting which of Corbyn’s people remain part of things as well.

Indeed.

Granny D is not going to like it.

Cracking bit of editorialising from Laura Kuenssberg going on right now on Twitter in favour of Starmer winning. 

On the other hand, The Sun Politics section has went with the headline "Millionaire Keir Starmer wins leadership contest".

Might as well start running sweepstakes on when he caves to the irreconcilables on the right and starts purging leftists. 

I don't see that happening. We can't, and shouldn't be aiming to, win the support of The Sun. We need to be better at getting our message across via New Media, among the many other challenges the party faces.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

Start panicking jackie ballie won the branch deputy leader ballot

Jackie Baillie the woman who oversaw the closure of her local a&e and then started a campaign group to re-open it when labour lost power, blaming the SNP. I voted SNP for ten years, after their shite handling of the covid stuff and general shite handling of public services I would have liked to vote for someone different, unfortunately labour being filled with vacuous careerist c***s like Baillie and their refusal to go neutral on indy etc just mean i’ll never vote for them.

They can't go neutral on Indy. It would be poison in England, and the next election will be decided here not in Scotland.

I'm neither pro nor anti-independence. Just don't see how any of the UK-wide parties can be seen as anything other than pro-Union at the moment, if they want to win.

I don't see Starmer as "centre-right" by any stretch.

Not having a dig at you here Bully Wee Villa, I am genuinely curious. If you don’t see Starmer as a centre-right politician who has had the Blairite or Red Tory label thrown at him by many, then where do you see him sit on the slide? I definitely see him looking to shift the party over in that direction in time.

If I was Starmer I’d purge the left completely. They truly are a bunch of complete losers. Take control of the Labour party, lose every single election they run in and then can’t even secure the leadership once the useless leader stands down? What was the point?

43 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Not having a dig at you here Bully Wee Villa, I am genuinely curious. If you don’t see Starmer as a centre-right politician who has had the Blairite or Red Tory label thrown at him by many, then where do you see him sit on the slide? I definitely see him looking to shift the party over in that direction in time.

He is right wing compared to Corbyn, but to the left of Blair and Brown. Blairism is dead in the Labour Party. 

I think the party will be broadly centre left, but hopefully we won't have so much of the baggage that annoyed the Brexity types (if he does love the IRA and Hamas and hate Britain, it's strictly off the record).

We might get a better idea over the next few weeks when we see what Shadow Cabinet he puts together. I'd hope that there would be talent from both sides of the party. I consider Lenin to be a bit too Tory for my liking, but I would have Phillips in the Shadow Cabinet. She'd have made a poor leader but she's good at getting her point across and you'd rather have her with than against you. I also hope they find space for RLB. Not McDonnell though, he needs to be put out to pasture. Electoral poison.

I'm not sure how anyone can say he is to the left of Brown? He abstained on the Welfare Bill with the rest of the right wingers led by Harman and nothing about his period as DPP suggests he is particularly liberal nevermind left wing.

The challenge in front of a Labour leader has never been greater with the Corona virus and it's fallout, climate change and austerity all requiring ambitious and original solutions. Everything points to Starmer being completely ill equiped to meet those challenges but we have to hope he rises to the occasion. 

His electoral platform was to the left of Brown's. He has embraced nationalisation again, as any Labour leader should.

Now, obviously, he could just be saying that to get elected. And if he turns into another Tony Blair I'll be fucking off out of the party sharpish. But more than happy to give him a chance, as I do any incoming Leader, even though I didn't vote for him.

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I don't see that happening. We can't, and shouldn't be aiming to, win the support of The Sun. We need to be better at getting our message across via New Media, among the many other challenges the party faces.

Social media is owned by people to the right of The Sun. It's not the solution to anything.

It has to be. There isn't an alternative. Look at America for instance. Win social media, win the election. You're correct in that any Leftist party will always have an uphill battle to win. But they have to do it anyway.

How? I've no fucking idea. I hope people in charge are far more savvy in that kind of thing than I am.

44 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

If I was Starmer I’d purge the left completely. They truly are a bunch of complete losers. Take control of the Labour party, lose every single election they run in and then can’t even secure the leadership once the useless leader stands down? What was the point?

In terms of not securing the leadership I think the anti Semitism nonsense severely exhausted and demoralised a lot of members.