What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

But it’s news because it’s “rife” so much so that certain MPs have claimed that it is a large contributory factor in why they have left the Labour Party.

I doubt if anti-Semitism is any more of an issue in the Labour Party than it is in the Conservative Party, but that’s the narrative.

Perhaps.  But is easy to avoid claims of anti-Semitism by not being anti-Semitic.  The only reason it continues to have legs is that it is a genuine problem. 

17 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

I am accusing you of being anti-Semitic because you are. 

If you claim not to be, what did you mean by "pro-Jewish whining"?

In the context of those MP's hiding behind their religion then I stand by this.

I have nothing against Jews or Judaism and acknowledge / appreciate that people have been persecuted throughout history but that still doesn't get away from the point that I will continue with free speech and continue to air my honest opinions whether you and Drew Don like it or not.

Incidentally I am accusing you of being a p***k, because you are.

1 hour ago, Wee Bully said:

WATTOOs  comment is clearly anti-Semitic.

The fact that so many are trying to defend the comment, or explain it away by reference to Israel underlines the insidious nature of this anti-Semitism, and why the Labour party has got itself into such a pickle over it.

Israel and Judaism are not the same thing. 

Stating that the Jews are bring things on themselves is frankly reprehensible. 

You've said your piece.

And I've said mine.

As for your final sentence....

As a 15 year old in 1967, I sat stretched out on the floor at home with a newspaper... as war approached in the Middle East.

My feelings at the time, if expressed in words, would have been something like, "Plucky little Israel trying to fight off the ****ing Arabs...".

Times, and views have changed, and the behaviour of modern Israel is there and clear to see.

'Reprehensible' hardly begins to describe it.

Edited by beefybake

22 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

Perhaps.  But is easy to avoid claims of anti-Semitism by not being anti-Semitic.  The only reason it continues to have legs is that it is a genuine problem. 

From the evidence I’ve seen the claim that it’s rife in the Labour Party is not justified.  I asked a couple of pages back if there is a source that someone can point me to that substantiates these claims.  So far no one has.

What we do have are MPs making claims for their own narrow ends and the MSM failing to ask probing questions.

1 hour ago, Wee Bully said:

That's fine, and I agree with what you have said here.

However, WATTOO has talked about "pro-Jewish whining" and said that they are "bringing it on themselves".  Not "even" Israeli Jews, but just Jews.

Do you agree that his statement was anti-Semitic or not?

Are you just very particular on purpose, because it makes it easier for you to be an asshole?

46 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

Are you just very particular on purpose, because it makes it easier for you to be an asshole?

By "very particular" do you mean "pointing towards the actual anti-Semitism"? 

Did you think the "very particular" statement was acceptable?

4 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

By "very particular" do you mean "pointing towards the actual anti-Semitism"? 

Did you think the "very particular" statement was acceptable?

You can think of me however the hell you like, it really makes no difference, however, can you give it a rest with harassing and interrogating the rest of the posters here on how they interpret my posts ??

Thanks.

12 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

You can think of me however the hell you like, it really makes no difference, however, can you give it a rest with harassing and interrogating the rest of the posters here on how they interpret my posts ??

Thanks.

Why?  Is it making you uncomfortable?

1 hour ago, beefybake said:

You've said your piece.

And I've said mine.

As for your final sentence....

As a 15 year old in 1967, I sat stretched out on the floor at home with a newspaper... as war approached in the Middle East.

My feelings at the time, if expressed in words, would have been something like, "Plucky little Israel trying to fight off the ****ing Arabs...".

Times, and views have changed, and the behaviour of modern Israel is there and clear to see.

'Reprehensible' hardly begins to describe it.

Are you me?

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I heard someone on the radio this morning talking about Derek Hatton.  He was complaining that Hatton had said Jews should be criticising Israel; I assume he meant in relation to their treatment of Palestinians but this was a bit unclear.  I think he said the term Hatton used was British Jews and was claiming this was anti-Semitic. 

Now I think Hatton is an arsehole but I was wondering how this comment could be anti-Semitic; I would equate it to saying Catholics should be criticising Catholicism/the Pope over an issue such as their church ignoring child abuse.

As for Israel, it is ridiculous to blame all Israelis and all Israeli Jews for the actions of their government.  It’s like blaming SNP supporters for the actions of Theresa May’s government.

It's a pretty standard anti-Semitic trope to demand that Jews criticise Israeli policy.  It's entirely possible to be critical of Israel without being anti-Semitic (and it isn't particularly difficult, either).

Your second and third paragraph literally contradict each other:

a) Jews should be able to condemn Israeli actions because it's like asking Catholics to condemn the Pope

b) It's ridiculous to blame Jews for Israeli policy

19 minutes ago, yoda said:

It's a pretty standard anti-Semitic trope to demand that Jews criticise Israeli policy.  It's entirely possible to be critical of Israel without being anti-Semitic (and it isn't particularly difficult, either).

Your second and third paragraph literally contradict each other:

a) Jews should be able to condemn Israeli actions because it's like asking Catholics to condemn the Pope

b) It's ridiculous to blame Jews for Israeli policy

No they don’t contradict each other.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

From the evidence I’ve seen the claim that it’s rife in the Labour Party is not justified.  I asked a couple of pages back if there is a source that someone can point me to that substantiates these claims.  So far no one has.

What we do have are MPs making claims for their own narrow ends and the MSM failing to ask probing questions.

Not even probing questions, a simple "can you give me an example, please - in your own time, no rush" would suffice.

1 hour ago, Colkitto said:

YouGov poll with TIG as an option has LAB down to 26% :o
CON 38
LAB 26
TIG 14
LD 7

Given that TIG (the Tiggers?) have no policies, let alone a manifesto, I think that says the Great British Electorate may be more of a threat to Democracy than the FPTP system.

I'm not saying that the public are massively thick and swayed by shiny new things, or that they see their actual vote as some kind of X-factor palaver, but I wouldn't disagree with anyone who did.

Just now, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Given that TIG (the Tiggers?) have no policies, let alone a manifesto, I think that says the Great British Electorate may be more of a threat to Democracy than the FPTP system.

I'm not saying that the public are massively thick and swayed by shiny new things, or that they see their actual vote as some kind of X-factor palaver, but I wouldn't disagree with anyone who did.

Can we settle for ‘large swathes of the public are massively thick and swayed by shiny new things, or that they see their actual vote as some kind of X-factor palaver’?