Kieran Tierney

On 24/07/2018 at 14:22, leomessi1984 said:

Robertson = stand out in a team top end of the PL and in the Champions League Final

Tierney = stand out in the SPL and did well in a team papped out of Europe with some absolute pumpings off the top teams

Tierney has the potential to be as good if not better than Robertson but until he leaves Celtic and proves it then you cannot argue he is better.  Playing against diddys in the SPL will not help him (although he has looked decent when in CL).

This.

If Tierney wants to improve, and he definitely can, he needs to test himself at a higher level.

It's all well and good playing consistently well against Motherwell and Partick and so on, and he's proved he can perform against the bigger teams in Europe, so in order to become considered a great player he needs to get out of his comfort zone and move to a different league.

Staying at Celtic shows him up as either lacking in courage or self belief, or as being parochial.

Paul McStay would have been excellent in Serie A in the late 80s/ early 90s, playing for someone like Roma or Sampdoria, moving the ball around on the deck, shifting the point of attack, changing the shape of the match. His game would have imporved by being put under more pressure and he could have been one of the legends of the Scottish game, instead of just a Celtic legend.

Paul Lambert turned into a serious footballer soon after leaving Scotland. He came back to Scotland too soon though I'm not sure that was all his own decision. 

Barry Ferguson could have developed into a cut-price Pirlo if he'd moved to Italy, Germany or Spain, his ability to dictate a match from the back of midfield was seriously undervalued, but he and his missus couldn't be that far from a sausage supper at the mother-in-law's.

We could all come up with loads more names like these. You could even go back further and ask, what would the world think of Jimmy Johnstone if he'd played for Real Madrid, which he absolutely had the talent to do? What if Kenny Dalgliesh had never moved to Liverpool?

If Tierney moves he could become a world class, £40 million pound player - that's what Guardiola thinks a good full back is worth. If he stays he'll just be Jackie McNamara or Danny McGrain. Scotland is just too small for top class footballers to reach anywhere near their potential. And is he better than Andy Robertson? Until Christmas I would have said yes. He's a better defender and tougher to shift off the ball, and he can be improve, but not at Celtic.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

Paul McStay would have been excellent in Serie A in the late 80s/ early 90s, playing for someone like Roma or Sampdoria, moving the ball around on the deck, shifting the point of attack, changing the shape of the match. His game would have imporved by being put under more pressure and he could have been one of the legends of the Scottish game, instead of just a Celtic legend.

Paul Lambert turned into a serious footballer soon after leaving Scotland. He came back to Scotland too soon though I'm not sure that was all his own decision. 

Barry Ferguson could have developed into a cut-price Pirlo if he'd moved to Italy, Germany or Spain, his ability to dictate a match from the back of midfield was seriously undervalued, but he and his missus couldn't be that far from a sausage supper at the mother-in-law's.

We could all come up with loads more names like these. You could even go back further and ask, what would the world think of Jimmy Johnstone if he'd played for Real Madrid, which he absolutely had the talent to do? What if Kenny Dalgliesh had never moved to Liverpool?

If Tierney moves he could become a world class, £40 million pound player - that's what Guardiola thinks a good full back is worth. If he stays he'll just be Jackie McNamara or Danny McGrain. Scotland is just too small for top class footballers to reach anywhere near their potential. And is he better than Andy Robertson? Until Christmas I would have said yes. He's a better defender and tougher to shift off the ball, and he can be improve, but not at Celtic.

All true. 

• 2 months later...
i don't agree with tierney play RB at all ruins him , i think a back 3 with tierney at the left and robertson as the wing back, would suit both , if  a flat back 4 i'd put tierney centrally and robertson left.

need to find a way of fitting them both in as they are the only two top quality players we have
Ooops

On 13/10/2018 at 09:20, 10menwent2mow said:
On 06/07/2018 at 12:05, DanMc99 said:
i don't agree with tierney play RB at all ruins him , i think a back 3 with tierney at the left and robertson as the wing back, would suit both , if  a flat back 4 i'd put tierney centrally and robertson left.

need to find a way of fitting them both in as they are the only two top quality players we have

Ooops

Still stick by what I say but I guarantee if we had a manager who had a clue how to set them up we’d probably see the best of them and the rest of the team but as a team we look utterly clueless and I think it stems from the manager 

26 minutes ago, ewan14 said:

I think McStay regretted not going to Italy. If he had then we would have seen whether he was world class or not

With regards to Liam Henderson I would imagine Seria B is as good as our Premiership

Agree with that. McStay turned down a move to an outstanding Sampdoria side in 1991 if I remember correctly, they had just won Seria A and got to the European Cup Final the following season.

I don't think moving from Celtic at that stage of his career would have affected his Club legend status tbh.

Tierney still has time but Club football has changed to the extent that the bigger Clubs in the bigger league now want buy and develop players like Tierney at a young age rather than taking a gamble on him making the grade at 28+ years old.

Guest Bob Mahelp
5 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Tierney isn't good enough,  he would be found out very very quickly. Celtic is his level and the boy knows it.

I'm not sure about that, but the only way to prove it is for him to move.

There's a feeling that he's plateaued at Celtic, and isn't going to become a better player by facing St Mirren and Hamilton every week, or by being embarrassed in the regular European humping that Celtic will get.

It would be great to see Tierney have the courage to test himself abroad, but I suspect he'll be around his comfort blanket a bit longer. 

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I'm not sure about that, but the only way to prove it is for him to move.

There's a feeling that he's plateaued at Celtic, and isn't going to become a better player by facing St Mirren and Hamilton every week, or by being embarrassed in the regular European humping that Celtic will get.

It would be great to see Tierney have the courage to test himself abroad, but I suspect he'll be around his comfort blanket a bit longer. 

^^^ too much words. All that's needed is, Tierney =Shitebag.