Kieran Tierney

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, skippy2015 said:

Mcleish has already pretty much decided he is going with a back 3 with Tierney at the left side of the back 3 and Robertson left wing back .

Have to say I wasn’t a fan of this formation but after World Cup wiling to give it a chance will certainly make us harder to beat although as an attacking force it’s going to be hard to watch.

I think the hard to watch attacking force is less to do with the formation and more to do with the fact we have absolutely f**k all up front.

5 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Willie Miller?

Indeed - if you passed him in the street you wouldn't automatically go "centre-half" positioning and awareness can make up for a lack of height. You'd have to be a complete puddle drinker to think any different so its no shock that PI does.

4 minutes ago, Jason King said:

Indeed - if you passed him in the street you wouldn't automatically go "centre-half" positioning and awareness can make up for a lack of height. You'd have to be a complete puddle drinker to think any different so its no shock that PI does.

When you've played the game it only takes you literally 3 seconds to determine what position a guy can play. You need to play a bit more, Jason.

7 minutes ago, Jason King said:

What miller lacked in, he more than made up for elsewhere, probably why all his defensive partners were huge giants, let mcleish go and win the headers for the best part of a decade, miller done the ground work lol

God what scotland would give for ANY of its starting centre halves from the 80's

44 minutes ago, Jason King said:

If you passed Willie Miller in the street, you'd automatically go "puddle drinker".   Not sure what that does for your argument about height, but it's nonetheless still true.

Just now, Savage Henry said:

If you passed Willie Miller in the street, you'd automatically go "puddle drinker".   Not sure what that does for your argument about height, but it's nonetheless still true.

Shorter = closer to the puddle

1 hour ago, 54_and_counting said:

What miller lacked in, he more than made up for elsewhere, probably why all his defensive partners were huge giants, let mcleish go and win the headers for the best part of a decade, miller done the ground work lol

God what scotland would give for ANY of its starting centre halves from the 80's

I’ll wager the average height of international teams has increased by about 6 inches since Miller’s day.

56 minutes ago, woof! said:

I’ll wager the average height of international teams has increased by about 6 inches since Miller’s day.

Willie could be 2ft smaller than the players he was facing and he'd still have got the better of them because his game wasn't based solely on his height, if being tall was an actual factor in making you a good centre-half then Kevin James would have had 50+ Scotland caps rather than being the very definition of journeyman.

On what planet is the three year older and played at a higher level Andy Robertson, less experienced than Keiran Tierney?

2 hours ago, forameus said:

Wasn't Cannavaro relatively tiny for a center back?  He was no bad.  No Liam Lindsay, but no bad.

5' 9" according to Wiki. Only won a Ballon D'or and captained his country to a World Cup win though. Nothing special IMO.

14 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

5' 9" according to Wiki. Only won a Ballon D'or and captained his country to a World Cup win though. Nothing special IMO.

Shite defender, but at least he's a dreamboat.

Discounting how he compares to Tierney, I've always felt people massively underrate Robertson's defensive ability. It's like he's the opposite of Phil Jones - because Jones can pass the ball out of defence people think he can defend when he isn't very good; because Robertson is excellent going forward, people think he isn't solid defensively. He's a superb defender.

I remember back in the Euro 2016 qualifying campaign people were defending Strachan's multiple decisions to pick Whittaker or Mulgrew ahead of Robertson, as we needed to have better defenders playing against the better teams. That was the perfect example of it. Whittaker and Mulgrew are more defensive full backs than Andy Robertson, but even then Andy Robertson was still considerably better defensively than the two of them put together. Just because he's a more offensive player doesn't make him any less of an accomplished defender.

Obviously Kieran Tierney is also a considerably better player both defensively and offensively than Whittaker or Mulgrew ever were, but in some cases I wonder how much of the insistence that he's a better defender is down to failing to appreciate how good Robertson is defensively because of the emphasis on his attacking qualities, rather than focusing purely on Tierney's undoubted strengths.

6 hours ago, Jason King said:

Willie could be 2ft smaller than the players he was facing and he'd still have got the better of them because his game wasn't based solely on his height, if being tall was an actual factor in making you a good centre-half then Kevin James would have had 50+ Scotland caps rather than being the very definition of journeyman.

Willie was almost world class in his day. If he was 6ft 2in and half a yard quicker, he would certainly have been. For lesser players, the physical/athletic aspects are greatly magnified. You’d need to be unbelievable defensively to be a centre half in the EPL and be under 6 ft 2in.

Dunno if he’s the greatest Scottish centre half of all time, though I suspect you may have had your tongue in your cheek when you hinted at it.

However, it was a half-guess on my behalf and spent about 10 mins racking my brain thinking of short-ish Scotland centre half’s and Willie Miller was the only one that was a fucking good player I could think of.

Puyol, Cannavaro, Baresi, De Boer, Koeman, Cordoba, Beckenbauer, Moore. 

All elite CHs under six foot. 

Archived