Croatia v Denmark

throbber

Had that been Scotland and the defender doesn't make the tackle, I don't want him playing for Scotland again. You absolutely have to take one for the team there and to f**k with the consequences at that stage. It was a goal, they were out, and the worst that could happen to him if he changes that is a red card and missing the next game. It was an excellent piece of defending.
Exactly. I am sure the boy had reconciled with that fact before deciding to bring the attacker down.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:
8 minutes ago, Ross. said:
Had that been Scotland and the defender doesn't make the tackle, I don't want him playing for Scotland again. You absolutely have to take one for the team there and to f**k with the consequences at that stage. It was a goal, they were out, and the worst that could happen to him if he changes that is a red card and missing the next game. It was an excellent piece of defending.

Exactly. I am sure the boy had reconciled with that fact before deciding to bring the attacker down.

I'd be worried if he even considered the chances of a red card. The only thought he should have had, and this appeared to be the case, is that the Croatian boy is not getting to roll that ball into the net.

Same as you say, had it been my forward who was brought down, I would be a seething, screaming, purple faced mess of a human being, demanding vengeance on every generation of the defenders family, but f**k me, if he hadn't brought him down I would be questioning why football even exists.

There wasn't really any point in sending the guy off anyway. I don't think Croatia would have gained much advantage in the two minutes or whatever, they just had to score the penalty and nobody would care.

I'm sure if it had happened in the 60th minute the guy would have walked, but at that point I think it was fair enough for the ref to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Just now, GAD said:

There wasn't really any point in sending the guy off anyway. I don't think Croatia would have gained much advantage in the two minutes or whatever, they just had to score the penalty and nobody would care.

I'm sure if it had happened in the 60th minute the guy would have walked, but at that point I think it was fair enough for the ref to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I think the ref should have sent him off for no other reason than it would have allowed the other 10 Danish players to give him a guard of honour and applaud him as he walked off and down the tunnel. It's what he deserved.

I think with the new rules it's always going to be a yellow.  We all know that he was taking the guy out but he did it in such a way that he could reasonably claim it was an attempt, however unlikely, to get the ball.

Contrast it with Boateng v Sweden who basically just shoved the guy over as he ran through only for a penalty and red card to inexplicably not be awarded.

8 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I think the ref should have sent him off for no other reason than it would have allowed the other 10 Danish players to give him a guard of honour and applaud him as he walked off and down the tunnel. It's what he deserved.

They could. They bottled the shoot out though and are going home, so in the end it didn't matter. It'll be forgotten about by next week.

57 minutes ago, GAD said:

They could. They bottled the shoot out though and are going home, so in the end it didn't matter. It'll be forgotten about by next week.

True. It will only be forgotten though because "The right thing happened" and Croatia went through. Suarez v Ghana is still talked about 8 years on.

23 minutes ago, Ross. said:

True. It will only be forgotten though because "The right thing happened" and Croatia went through. Suarez v Ghana is still talked about 8 years on.

Yeah, it's only really great when it works. If it doesn't you just end up looking like a bit of a fanny.

29 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Partly because it was Suarez  and partly because it was against an African team.  If eg Frank Lampard had done it against  Sweden we'd hardly have heard of it again. Punching a shot off the line isn't the most heinous of crimes and has probably been going on since football began. 

2 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

Partly because it was Suarez  and partly because it was against an African team.  If eg Frank Lampard had done it against  Sweden we'd hardly have heard of it again. Punching a shot off the line isn't the most heinous of crimes and has probably been going on since football began. 

Definitely an element of both involved but there is more to it than just that. Anyone else against any other team and it would still be brought up now. Lampard v Germany for example, still brought up regularly when goal line technology is used.

9 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

Nobody I spoke to while in Ghana had the slightest thing against Suarez and all said they would have done the same. Their blame was entirely directed towards Asamoah Gyan. Stephen Appiah was the designated penalty taker but Gyan took the ball from him in his quest for the golden boot then smashed it off the bar.

Then again, a fair few of them also reckon Gyan murdered his best mate and ritualistically ate his heart to boost his career.

12 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Definitely an element of both involved but there is more to it than just that. Anyone else against any other team and it would still be brought up now. Lampard v Germany for example, still brought up regularly when goal line technology is used.

I don't think the two are really comparable though. Lampard's 'goal' was such an extreme example of an obvious goal not being given while Suarez's offence was just another player punching a shot off the line.

1 minute ago, DiegoDiego said:

Nobody I spoke to while in Ghana had the slightest thing against Suarez and all said they would have done the same. Their blame was entirely directed towards Asamoah Gyan. Stephen Appiah was the designated penalty taker but Gyan took the ball from him in his quest for the golden boot then smashed it off the bar.

Then again, a fair few of them also reckon Gyan murdered his best mate and ritualistically ate his heart to boost his career.

I'd forgotten that about Gyan taking the penalty and never knew the heart story! Excellent.

25 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

Partly because it was Suarez  and partly because it was against an African team. 

Suarez was pretty much unknown at the time though, he certainly didn't have a reputation like he does now, well not to my recollection anyhoo - it certainly gave him one.

With Suarez, it wasn't so much the action but the aftermath.  He did what you'd hope any player would be in that position, but his shithousery afterwards left a bit of a sour taste.  

But at least he kept a low profile and didn't do anything else that could tarnish his reputation after that.

2 hours ago, GAD said:

A player that has been sent off can't take part in a penalty shootout. To then even numbers, the opposing team nominate a player to not take a penalty either, which will obviously be the worst penalty taker on their side. I don't know whether or not the offending player ended up taking the penalty, but even if he was (for example) meant to be their 7th penalty taker, he would be out together with the 11th taker of the opposition, whilst the worst Danish penalty taker will have to take one if the shootout would have gone all the way.

So even though it might not have made a difference in this case, it could have been an advantage to Croatia had he been sent off.

Was there not rumours that Leigh Griffiths did this when he was at Wolves???
It would explain a lot!!!

23 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:

What I never understood about the Suarez incident is that I seem to remember the ball was heading straight towards him at head height. Just stick your napper on it.

Archived