Pre-Season Friendly Results

Today will see the majority of the sides start their pre-season, in reality a glorified training session where players will be bedding in and managers try out different formations. 

That shouldn't though, and it definitely won't, stop fans looking to deaply in to them and coming to the sound conclusion that if you can't beat some diddies from Wales you're probably getting relegated.

Of course if we don't thump at least eight past East Fife we'll probably go down through the playoffs. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We put out a team for the first hour comprising of first team players who drew 0-0, our youth side since then have now went 2-1 up. 

I'm blissfully unaware of any of our youth players so that's nice. Thistle evidently getting relegated with Falkirk. 

How do folk react to friendly results? Some of our fans were in utter meltdown last preseason after we lost to Partick anf Raith. Seemingly we were destined for 9th and the manager had to go.

Surely all reasonable fans know that friendly results don't matter?

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

How do folk react to friendly results? Some of our fans were in utter meltdown last preseason after we lost to Partick anf Raith. Seemingly we were destined for 9th and the manager had to go.

I learned not to care about them after 03/04 when we played 6, won 5, drew 1 including a 6-1 win at Ayr and a 4-2 over then Championship side Bradford before not winning a league match until December.

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I don't think they are utterly, utterly meaningless, the performances in them can be quite telling and can identify weaknesses in a system, the results themselves aren't important but you can certainly learn a bit from the performance. 

They're good if you manage to get a decent away trip. Was looking forward to Montrose on Monday as that's on of the 2 I've to tick off my list, however, the fuckers have decided to cancel. b*****ds

8 hours ago, Chicken Wing said:
17 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

They're good if you manage to get a decent away trip. Was looking forward to Montrose on Monday as that's on of the 2 I've to tick off my list, however, the fuckers have decided to cancel. b*****ds

Aye but sadly the days of a decent away trip are long gone

We had our best pre season in my life last summer winning every match and only losing 1 goal.

Sadly once the real stuff started we discovered we were actually a big pile of shite.

I'm not sure why friendlies aren't just closed doors as fans really should take nothing from a friendly

We had our best pre season in my life last summer winning every match and only losing 1 goal.
Sadly once the real stuff started we discovered we were actually a big pile of shite.
I'm not sure why friendlies aren't just closed doors as fans really should take nothing from a friendly
If clubs can get some income and a few fans are happy watching paying for a bounce game, don't see the harm.

Also lets you assess if your new signings might be okay despite what Partick, Falkirk and Dundee United fans are telling you.

We've got a tie with the massive club Tranmere so quite happy with fan attended friendlies. Have you got any glamour ties in your friendlies list?

30 minutes ago, Black and White Tragic said:

We've got a tie with the massive club Tranmere so quite happy with fan attended friendlies. Have you got any glamour ties in your friendlies list?

Nope.

Aberdeen, Alloa and Airdrie.

I don't see who gains from opening the gates to a friendly as it costs club a few quid to stage and if they make any cash it will be minimal.

I've also seen players who looked decent pre season when nobody is really trying/tackling and then fall to bits in the league.

I'd be happy for Falkirk to not play any open door friendlies 

Archived