Perks of your job/ skives

Ylf

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no perks. The occasional fantasy about the half dozen or so attractive women in my bit of the office is about as good as it gets.

Even flex time is shite - I'm over 16 hours up and can't get a chance to use it.

On 02/07/2018 at 09:11, ShaggysBeard said:

I leave the house at 7:45, get a train a 7:55. Sitting at my desk by 8:20.

Leave at 16:05, train at 16:12 in the house for 16:30.

That's pretty good going for a West Lothian - Edinburgh commute.

I leave the house at 0756, I'm at the gate for my start at 0800. What's even better is that having put all the bad lads in their cells for 1845, i'm sat with a brew and feet up in time for a 1900 kick-off. 

And while you might think living next door to a prison isn't ideal, we're in beautiful countryside with zero crime and a bunch of lovely trees hiding the Queen's Hotel from view. 

On 02/07/2018 at 06:17, The DA said:

Not the perk it used to be. Who actually uses paperclips, pens and paper these days?

I haven't bought a roll of sellotape in over 20 years of working in various offices, start of December half the stationery stores in the country must be emptied of sellotape for wrapping presents.

Current office, can leave flat at 07.45 and sat at my desk by 07.55 for an 08.00 start. Reasonable hours boss very flexible if you have an appointment and need to leave early or start late, as long as work gets done all fine. Decent amount of holidays. P&B and BBC website open on a screen most of the day, and currently listening to radio on headphones.

Quarterly bonus scheme that actually worth having unlike some previous places, have got bonus in 7 of last 8 quarters and it averages about £1,200 extra a quarter.

2 or 3 nights out a year where all paid for, all food and alcohol till you finished, and taxi bill if required. Our bar bill in the pub we went to after our Christmas meal was bigger than the cost of the meal and cocktails and wine  bill in restaurant last Christmas. Year before that when I lived out of town they paid for a hotel in town for the night out as it was as cheap as the taxi they would have paid for. on the whole as long as things getting done fairly good place.

10 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Is it a bowl of Weetabix or a full cooked breakfast, with several rounds of toasts, a pot of freshly brewed coffee and a selection of pastries and muffins to finish?

Porridge and fruit salad today, but I could have a proper cooked breakfast and a help myself to other stuff if I so desired.

Get more than your fair share of free sandwiches and cake where I work thanks to the frequent meetings which i thankfully never have to attend. Nay c**t else eats the brie and cranberry so that's a bonus. Average a birthday every week so there's always treats in the kitchen.

Downside is we have some right tinks, there is cottage cheese dated December, some Greek natural yogurt dated February and someone's homemade rice and pasta dish all sitting in the fridge right now in various stages of degradation. I'm waiting to see how long it takes the owners to get them scrapped.

8 minutes ago, Crroma said:

Get more than your fair share of free sandwiches and cake where I work thanks to the frequent meetings which i thankfully never have to attend. Nay c**t else eats the brie and cranberry so that's a bonus. Average a birthday every week so there's always treats in the kitchen.

Downside is we have some right tinks, there is cottage cheese dated December, some Greek natural yogurt dated February and someone's homemade rice and pasta dish all sitting in the fridge right now in various stages of degradation. I'm waiting to see how long it takes the owners to get them scrapped.

What kind of savage has rice AND pasta in the same meal. Beneath contempt, that kind of thing.

On 6/29/2018 at 12:42, Trackdaybob said:

I've been drunk in more countries than I can remember :) 

Free world travel. 

Mostly sandy shitholes these days but in the 90's plenty places worth visiting. USA, Canada, Australia, Malaysia, Iceland to name a few that stick in the memory but also pretty much all of mainland Europe. 

QRA meant sitting in a La Z Boy for a week watching Sky Sports, drinking tea, and hammering a X Box.  

The main reason though is the last 10 years they've given me paid time off and paid me to go and race a motorcycle 8-10 weekends every year. It's the only reason I've stayed this long.

2 years left then that's it. Retired at 48 :) I

Creech AFB by any chance?

I seem to have slipped into a nice comfort zone where nobody checks on what I'm doing and the boss/supervisor just seem to assume I'm busy as long as I'm sat in front of the computer. I can get through what work comes my way relatively quickly and then happily slack for up to half an hour before picking up the next thing.

Looking forward to the new office which will be about 10 minutes' drive from my domicile and will not be situated next to an aquatic training facility for utter bams.

1 hour ago, nsr said:

I seem to have slipped into a nice comfort zone where nobody checks on what I'm doing and the boss/supervisor just seem to assume I'm busy as long as I'm sat in front of the computer. I can get through what work comes my way relatively quickly and then happily slack for up to half an hour before picking up the next thing.

Looking forward to the new office which will be about 10 minutes' drive from my domicile and will not be situated next to an aquatic training facility for utter bams.

Sounds like my previous job.  I started at 8, battered though all the stuff I had to do, and was done by 10.  Sat browsing here and YouTube until half 4.  Lovely.

Also pretty similar to myself. I do the job I’m asked and all the other shite of the day and get left alone. There’s times I need to go above and beyond but most the time I’m sat looking at pie and bovril on my phone and nobody really bats an eyelid. Being 10 minutes from the house helps.

I get bored stiff if I'm not busy from 9 to 5.  I can't just sit and browse the net or post here otherwise doing it once I'm out of the office wouldn't have the same allure.

In fact, I get so bored that I create work for other people to do, just so I can keep myself busy monitoring their progress and throwing in the odd annoying comment.

I fully admit I'm an absolute tosser of a middle manager but we've all got to get our kicks somehow.  If you don't like it, get yourself promoted.

The real test though is to learn to spot which of my special projects are just spur of the moment whims that I'll soon forget about.  And then not doing them - while still being prepared to give an in-depth progress report if I remember to ask.

I don't have anything to show for my work so can get away with doing nothing all day. Recently been watching the World Cup on the TV, a bit of Wimbledon on one of the monitors whilst I browse Facebook and YouTube on the other. Even stuck the cycling on for a bit today as I had nothing else to do.

A totally undeserved 10% of salary bonus coming this month, and off to York races in a couple of weeks for an all-expenses, free food and drink day out in the hospitality boxes.

Image result for talkhearts

Archived