How did you meet your friends and/or partners?

On 02/07/2018 at 03:08, BigFatTabbyDave said:

The wife was an internet friend of my then-girlfriend. She came over to visit with a friend, who then hooked up with my girlfriend, the cheating mare. I got left alone with the wife, who was more interesting than the woman I was used to, so we got close and then she ruptured one of my internal organs. Pretty standard stuff.

5D0D368B-81A0-4786-906B-F4D047BF666E.jpeg

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A friend of mine pretty much put him on a plate for me after I split up with my ex, zero work involved from me which was nice. Getting married on Monday after 7 years together. :)

I've probably only got one pal left from school and uni days (mainly through messy break ups, deaths, fallouts and general drifting apart). Most folk I know now are from having kids and meeting other parents and also through sports clubs. The kid being high school age (so always away with pals etc) means me and the missus have fairly busy/messy social life again.

Met my wife in well known Aberdeen nightspot Drummonds in 2009 when I was completely smashed.

It was either her or the Annie Lennox look a like on the dancefloor.

Freezing cold and snowing - went back to hers, broke the button on my trousers.

Married for four years now.

Nae bad overall.

Mainly mates with people from school,  known my best mate since nursery in 1990.

Folk I play 5s with every week are more like acquaintances - enjoy living a quiet life now.

Met the missus in a popular nightclub in Edinburgh. Can honestly say I don’t remember the night, just as well she liked the look of me, otherwise I’d have never met her again.

Mates are mostly from Uni now, still good friends with some of the folk from school, but as far as friendships and me go, very few have stayed in the capital so there’s always the chance of a night away an a night out in a different city. Friendly with guys from work too and would happily o for a pint after work, but wouldn’t actively meet them at a weekend, etc.

Met my wife at a karaoke night in the Saddlers Arms in Solihull (Birmingham). The pub has now been turned into an Indian restaurant/pub mix.

I always say that my brilliant singing wooed her, although she claims not to have heard me singing that night.

Aside from a few folk, I've lost most of my friends. They just got sick of me not being around I guess (I was hiding/rotting away in my bedroom due to mental illness).

At the weekends, if I'm not going to the football, I won't see anyone I know and won't speak a single word to anyone. From finishing work on a Friday I basically have no contact with anyone until I go back on the Monday. Of course if I go to the football then I see friends.

One of my best friends from school I still speak to now and again, and he's coming up next month. 

I need friends.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Aside from a few folk, I've lost most of my friends. They just got sick of me not being around I guess (I was hiding/rotting away in my bedroom due to mental illness).

At the weekends, if I'm not going to the football, I won't see anyone I know and won't speak a single word to anyone. From finishing work on a Friday I basically have no contact with anyone until I go back on the Monday. Of course if I go to the football then I see friends.

One of my best friends from school I still speak to now and again, and he's coming up next month. 

I need friends.

Go and see Manuel Sanchez.

1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Mind that time he took 20 folk with him on holiday and bought us all loads of drinks and that.

What a lad. So friendly.

Yeh, good times. You'd never catch his miserable c**t of a brother doing that!

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

I need friends.

Posts like this and what Miguel posted are obviously going to get the pish ripped on here, but that’s a pretty sad state of affairs. 

Maybe try joining a sports club, or something like that where you can meet like-minded people? Or get back in touch with some of the mates you say you had before?

1 minute ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Posts like this and what Miguel posted are obviously going to get the pish ripped on here, but that’s a pretty sad state of affairs. 

Maybe try joining a sports club, or something like that where you can meet like-minded people? Or get back in touch with some of the mates you say you had before?

You make a good point actually. It gets harder to meet some as you get older (30's) and you might need to take into account that a new partner may very well have "baggage" (I fucking hate that term). The chances of finding the love of your life kicking about a nightclub a on a weekend is are pretty fucking remote IMO. If you can get past the "taboo" (albeit one that is reducing these days) of online dating sites then you have a far better chance of sorting the wheat from the chaff before you waste any time meeting someone in person. 

5 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

I've probably only got one pal left from school and uni days (mainly through messy break ups, deaths, fallouts and general drifting apart).

Much the same as yourself, bar the deaths. Touch wood none of my friendship group has died. 

Only have a small circle of "real" mates, but I quite like it that way. 

Met the Mrs on POF (very romantic) and coming up to three years this September. 

11 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

Much the same as yourself, bar the deaths. Touch wood none of my friendship group has died. 

Only have a small circle of "real" mates, but I quite like it that way. 

Met the Mrs on POF (very romantic) and coming up to three years this September. 

I met my Missus online and given what we've been through the last 18 months I don't think I could have found someone better in a lifetime. There's a lot to be said for online dating sites, whether it folk just looking for short term fun or those looking longer term. Bullshitters can be spotted a mile off so they can be quickly discounted in your search.

On 30/06/2018 at 00:30, ICTJohnboy said:

Met my present partner 20 years ago ( I call her my present partner just to keep her on her toes) in a chippy in Fife. She actually owned the chippy and I very quickly fell in love with her fish suppers and mushy peas. Persuaded her to pursue an alternative career after a short courtship - much as I like the smell of fish and chips I wasn't too happy sleeping with it.   

Hadleys-fish-and-chips.jpg

looks good apart from the mushy peas which are completely offensive but i won't hold that against you.

Met my girlfriend on Tinder, been going out for a year now.

I actually met a lot of my close friends on here years ago through playing for the P&B Select team, Glasgow Area 5s as well. Only a couple still post right enough.

Archived