How did you meet your friends and/or partners?

22 minutes ago, Adam said:

Met my girlfriend on Tinder, been going out for a year now.

I actually met a lot of my close friends on here years ago through playing for the P&B Select team, Glasgow Area 5s as well. Only a couple still post right enough.

How is Seamus these days?

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Posts like this and what Miguel posted are obviously going to get the pish ripped on here, but that’s a pretty sad state of affairs. 

Maybe try joining a sports club, or something like that where you can meet like-minded people? Or get back in touch with some of the mates you say you had before?

Not my thing but if a poster is going to come on here and tear into other posters then its no surprise if others will rip on their 'confession'. 

While I'm here, I met the missus on a night out, not totally random, my mate was going out with her cousin and the group of guys met the group of girls out on the lash and we've been together nearly 20 years, married over 17.  She was no. 2 choice, sort off, I met a burd on the friday and met the current title holder on the saturday and on the sunday rang bachelorette no.1 first for a date that night but she was visiting friends (or washing her hair/still banging her head against the wall/in the shower scrubbing the taint of me off her although I think we only swapped spit) so rang bachelorette no. 2 and the rest is history as they say.

As for mates, still in touch with guys I was sharing flats with in my early 20's, a couple of which I knew since my teens. Another mate from my teens who I go hill walking with (used to post on here) and loads of others that I've met through work and more recently dog walking (no other doglike antics, honest). I've got mates who I rarely see but am really close to, trust with life stuff. It doesn't matter if we don't see each other too often, when we meet up its brilliant and we catch up, talk pish and get batfaced. 

Without trying to patronise the 'wall flowers', all I can suggest is actually just going out with work from work or getting in touch with old mates if you want to get back in the game. What's the worst that can happen, you don't hit it off so don't do it again. One of my old flatmate's is like it, only has mates he's known for years and in his case is a bit jealous (in my opinion) when some of us social butterflies talk about other mates. The odd snidey comment etc, if I saw more of him I would probably mention it but no point on the odd catch up. Honestly guys, put your 'happy head' on and make yourself available for going out drinking/football/netball or whatever floats your boat, its a big old world out there, whats the worst that can happen*.........

* raped and murdered probably. :lol:

Aside from a few folk, I've lost most of my friends. They just got sick of me not being around I guess (I was hiding/rotting away in my bedroom due to mental illness).
At the weekends, if I'm not going to the football, I won't see anyone I know and won't speak a single word to anyone. From finishing work on a Friday I basically have no contact with anyone until I go back on the Monday. Of course if I go to the football then I see friends.
One of my best friends from school I still speak to now and again, and he's coming up next month. 
I need friends.

The people you used to be friends with won’t just forget you because you turned into a recluse for a while. Contacting one or two of them would be a good start and then if you enjoyed meeting up with them then your confidence would improve and you would be more outgoing in the future. Locking yourself away from the outside world all weekend and only leaving your house to go to work isn’t going to improve your social skills.

4 hours ago, chomp my root said:

Not my thing but if a poster is going to come on here and tear into other posters then its no surprise if others will rip on their 'confession'. 

I give them a pass as it's always been apparent there's a lot of projection and resentment going on in here.

I've got mates who I rarely see but am really close to, trust with life stuff. It doesn't matter if we don't see each other too often, when we meet up its brilliant and we catch up, talk pish and get batfaced. 

This is me, my best mates from school still live in Motherwell, one in Ireland (w****r), I’m through in Edinburgh. Not a million miles away but with work and a young family I don’t get to see them that often but you know if you needed anything they would be there... not the one in Ireland though. That’s what best mates are for.

As for the wife, met the first one in a night club and she was a nasty controlling bitch that took me years to get a way from, current wife [emoji6] is also controlling (she’s a women so it’s to be expected) met her at a work event married 9 years last month.

Can’t say I would ever think about using online dating, I’m a 10/10 in real life... 3/10 in photos!

1 hour ago, steelmen said:

This is me, my best mates from school still live in Motherwell, one in Ireland (w****r), I’m through in Edinburgh. Not a million miles away but with work and a young family I don’t get to see them that often but you know if you needed anything they would be there... not the one in Ireland though. That’s what best mates are for.

As for the wife, met the first one in a night club and she was a nasty controlling bitch that took me years to get a way from, current wife emoji6.png is also controlling (she’s a women so it’s to be expected) met her at a work event married 9 years last month.

Can’t say I would ever think about using online dating, I’m a 10/10 in real life... 3/10 in photos!

I have a bit of a fascination about the whole online dating stuff. If it was about 20 years ago I wasn't aware of it so haven't had call to try it but know plenty who have with varied (and often humorous) results.  I don't think it would be my genre though, I'm a solid 3/10 in photo's too but I'm beautiful on the inside. 8)

8 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

I have a bit of a fascination about the whole online dating stuff. If it was about 20 years ago I wasn't aware of it so haven't had call to try it but know plenty who have with varied (and often humorous) results.  I don't think it would be my genre though, I'm a solid 3/10 in photo's too but I'm beautiful on the inside. 8)

I reckon online dating will become more and more popular with each new generation.

Probably easier to lie, deceive and exaggerate on line; but it’s probably got its downside too.  :lol:

I reckon online dating will become more and more popular with each new generation.
Probably easier to lie, deceive and exaggerate on line; but it’s probably got its downside too.  :lol:

Online dating is how most couples get together nowadays though. Not sure how it become much more popular as it is literally everywhere.

I worked with my now wife briefly when we were both 19-ish. She was hot as f**k and totally out of my league. She didn’t work there for too long and so I didn’t see her for years.

She was a friend of a friend though and ran into her whilst out one night in a nightclub. Started talking to her online shortly after that, we then met up and had a couple of dates before getting together. Been together twelve years now :-)

8 hours ago, throbber said:

Online dating is how most couples get together nowadays though. Not sure how it become much more popular as it is literally everywhere.

Do you have any evidence to support this?

3 hours ago, Gaz said:

I worked with my now wife briefly when we were both 19-ish. She was hot as f**k and totally out of my league. She didn’t work there for too long and so I didn’t see her for years.

She was a friend of a friend though and ran into her whilst out one night in a nightclub. Started talking to her online shortly after that, we then met up and had a couple of dates before getting together. Been together twelve years now :-)

Did you get hotter or is she still out your league?

Just now, throbber said:

I actually don’t, I’m pretty sure it’s the case though.

Read that post again.

Do you realise now just how stupid a statement it is?

Read that post again.
Do you realise now just how stupid a statement it is?

No, I just thought it was a known fact that most new couples that get together meet each other online.

Archived