How did you meet your friends and/or partners?

Made redundant in '91. End up in Germany. Whilst running a bar in a relatively swanky hotel near Heilbronn, a group of American singers/musicians come in. One of the women, after hitting on me for a while, says "For a German, your English is really amazing....." :whistle (Who was I to disabuse her of this opinion ?)

Anyhoo, over the next few days we saw each other for coffee, drinks and...errrr...... "sightseeing".....:unsure2: and then they moved on to Switzerland for the next leg of their tour. I subsequently got a much better job in a different area and moved to another city. About a year later one of my former housemates called me to say that "eine Amerikanischer frau" was looking for me and was it ok to give her my number ? I said 'OK', she called me to say that her group were going to be touring again in Italy and Switzerland and would it be OK if she came over a few days early to visit me ?

Once again we spent time together but with the added proviso that she would come back at the end of the tour and spend the summer in Germany instead of going home to California. Come back she did but unfortunately, a few days after getting back, suffered a bad fall and ruptured 3 discs in her back. I then spent 3 months acting as 'go between' and translator for the German hospital where she was incarcerated and her American health insurer.  Not a happy time but at least she got to see how much of an angel / all-round good spud I was.....:blink:8)

Round about the time she was getting back on her feet, I was made redundant from my job so what to do ? We decided to set up together in Scotland and have been married for........oh, feckin' ages.....:wub:

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Come back she did but unfortunately, a few days after getting back, suffered a bad fall and ruptured 3 discs in her back. I then spent 3 months acting as 'go between' and translator for the German hospital where she was incarcerated and her American health insurer. 

^^^fell for foreigner insurance scam imo

3 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Hanging about a park earlier, I remembered I'd first met one of my closest pals in a play park one day. We just got chatting and instantly realised we were cut from a similar cloth. The missus was my boss in my first proper job. 

School/work/uni is obviously a plentiful source of our acquaintances but have you any interesting tales of finding love and friendship? Maybe, like Granny Danger, you chose wisely from the bride catalogue. Maybe you fell for a rugged sherpa whilst trekking up Everest and now live happily in a hut on its foothills. 

Feeling a bit tired an emotional (aka hungover) so it would be great to read something heartwarming.

I met my wife at a disco in 1974.  I had not been to a disco before that and haven’t been to one since.

I met your wife at a swingers club 18 months ago.

20 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I met my wife at a disco in 1974.  I had not been to a disco before that and haven’t been to one since.

I met your wife at a swingers club 18 months ago.

Hiya Bible John! Hiya Pal!

3 hours ago, Dazzle said:
3 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:
Ah yes, B&Q, that renowned hotbed of romance. Some say Wickes is good for a fling, Homebase for a rebound, but everyone knows B&Q is where you take a girl you see a future with.

We actually went up to Dundee to play bowling only to realise it was shut years previous, she then mentioned she needed to decorate and I thought I'd bored the life out of her and she was just wanting home, but no my charm and good looks kept her hanging on in.

can picture it now , romantic meal in aisle 36 right beside the door handles.

Just now, throbber said:

Why don’t you have any friends?

Some years ago I went through a prolonged depressive episode where I shunned all contact with everyone I knew, and didn't do anything to reverse this after it was over. I haven't made any new friends or done anything since.

Archived