How did you meet your friends and/or partners?

Hanging about a park earlier, I remembered I'd first met one of my closest pals in a play park one day. We just got chatting and instantly realised we were cut from a similar cloth. The missus was my boss in my first proper job. 

School/work/uni is obviously a plentiful source of our acquaintances but have you any interesting tales of finding love and friendship? Maybe, like Granny Danger, you chose wisely from the bride catalogue. Maybe you fell for a rugged sherpa whilst trekking up Everest and now live happily in a hut on its foothills. 

Feeling a bit tired an emotional (aka hungover) so it would be great to read something heartwarming.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in the same Uni class as my now wife's boyfriend.  I was looking for a room, she was needing a lodger and he suggested me.  Nature then took its course.

Not sure who won in that turn of events tbf.

ETA I dont have any other friends.

Met my missus while she was a tourist in Glasgow, "getting in touch with her roots". She certainly touched my root, fnarr fnarr.

Still drink regularly with a group of half a dozen or so friends I have known since nursery school or P1.

Most folk I am friendly with here I have met through work(Largely a part time gig I had in a pub when I first moved over), and a few I know from drinking in various hostelries. Would say there are only 2 or 3 I am actually "friends" with as such, the majority just casual acquaintances.

I met my wife on a night out at University, my then flatmate was chatting up her mate and I ended up speaking to her as we sat about waiting for her to reject him.  Some of the friends of my flatmate were friends with were her flatmates so we ended up seeing each other on nights out subsequently etc etc.

Most of my friends I either met when I was at school or through supporting Caley.  My wife and I also have a group of friends from University but a few of that group have drifted away, which is always going to happen.  I'm still friends with a few people I worked with in one of my first jobs, we meet up regularly.  One of that group has a baby about the same age as mine and she is now friends with my wife, it's all very nice.

Met girlfriends-of-the-time: at school, at the cinema, in Uni halls, getting picked up when a barista(!) in Canada, a San Francisco hostel, trekking in The Annapurna's, getting picked up when a corporate trainer x 3 in Asia (one a policewoman!), off a dating site. And finally with the other half and mother of my children, she picked me up playing frisbee in the park :thumsup2

Friends, randomly all over the place, and barely in touch with anyone from school or uni, though Facebook has helped.

44 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Hanging about a park earlier, I remembered I'd first met one of my closest pals in a play park one day. We just got chatting and instantly realised we were cut from a similar cloth. The missus was my boss in my first proper job. 

School/work/uni is obviously a plentiful source of our acquaintances but have you any interesting tales of finding love and friendship? Maybe, like Granny Danger, you chose wisely from the bride catalogue. Maybe you fell for a rugged sherpa whilst trekking up Everest and now live happily in a hut on its foothills. 

Feeling a bit tired an emotional (aka hungover) so it would be great to read something heartwarming.

ac17e809a2302e4309dff943e85f8f13.thumb.jpg.475c8e766dcee3af13200b2626016765.jpg

Met my partner in a place we both used to work.  She said I was the 'best of a bad bunch'.  But 4 years later she's still with TheScarf.  Also helps that I'm at least an #8, even on a bad day.

Like ICTChris, I met my friends in School and the ones I didn't meet in school, I met through supporting the Caley.

16 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Met my partner in a place we both used to work.  She said I was the 'best of a bad bunch'.  But 4 years later she's still with TheScarf. 

Mine said I was a "disgusting shagnasty" and that she'd definitely never shag me. Fortunately she lowered her standards a bit and we're still together after about 18 years. 

Met my fiance at a 21st birthday party, got talking had a great niggt and asked her on a date but she had only just split up with her ex who was a massive c**t so she wasn't interested in dating then, about a year later I was out one night and she came over too me and starting chatting away, me being steaming had no idea who she was but went along with it anyway and it wasn't until I woke up with a photo on my phone of her I realised who it was, messaged her then and we met up and went to B&Q. Must have worked as here we are 5 years later getting married in 14 weeks and never looked back. What's for you won't go by you eh.

4 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Met my fiance at a 21st birthday party, got talking had a great niggt and asked her on a date but she had only just split up with her ex who was a massive c**t so she wasn't interested in dating then, about a year later I was out one night and she came over too me and starting chatting away, me being steaming had no idea who she was but went along with it anyway and it wasn't until I woke up with a photo on my phone of her I realised who it was, messaged her then and we met up and went to B&Q. Must have worked as here we are 5 years later getting married in 14 weeks and never looked back. What's for you won't go by you eh.

Ah yes, B&Q, that renowned hotbed of romance. Some say Wickes is good for a fling, Homebase for a rebound, but everyone knows B&Q is where you take a girl you see a future with.

Ah yes, B&Q, that renowned hotbed of romance. Some say Wickes is good for a fling, Homebase for a rebound, but everyone knows B&Q is where you take a girl you see a future with.
We actually went up to Dundee to play bowling only to realise it was shut years previous, she then mentioned she needed to decorate and I thought I'd bored the life out of her and she was just wanting home, but no my charm and good looks kept her hanging on in.

4 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Mine said I was a "disgusting shagnasty" and that she'd definitely never shag me. Fortunately she lowered her standards a bit and we're still together after about 18 years. 

Please thank Mrs SP for expanding my lexicon today. 

I'd been backpacking around the world for almost 2 years and almost out of money, was heading east through the US on the last leg. I lost my credit card while in Phoenix, Arizona and in those pre-Internet days had a hell of a job trying to get my bank to send out a new one. They wouldn't send it to my parents, I had no permanent address and whatnot. I was having money wired out, then going off for 2 weeks to see as much as I could before returning to Phoenix to find...still no credit card. I'd call them again (long distance from a payphone), find out what the excuse was this time and repeat the cycle. As a result, my dwindling funds were being used just going back and forth to Phoenix and I wasn't seeing the country the way I'd hoped. After a while, I took a job at the Backpacker's Hostel, working for free in exchange for my lodgings. One afternoon, a bunch of us went to a coffee shop and got talking to two cuties who were intrigued by the range of accents. One of them started coming over to the hostel to visit and then, showing me around Phoenix on my days off. Finally my credit card came through but I got a bit of a shock when the woman who ran the hostel immediately said. "That's great but now it's time for you to leave." Oh. 

This was late November and the places I still really wanted to see, New York, Boston and Chicago aren't easy to visit on a budget in winter. I was more than a bit bummed because it essentially meant my trip was over and had I known that, I could've gone home a couple of months earlier and saved some money. However, my new friend said "Well, I'm going on holiday next week and had planned to hire a dog-sitter. Why don't you stay at my place and look after my dogs for me. By the time I get back, you might have a better idea what you'd like to do." On new year's eve, after knowing each other for about 6 weeks, we got engaged.

If I can manage another fortnight, we'll have been married 25 years next month.

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:
8 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

We actually went up to Dundee to play bowling only to realise it was shut years previous, she then mentioned she needed to decorate and I thought I'd bored the life out of her and she was just wanting home, but no my charm and good looks kept her hanging on in.

You don't have to justify yourself to me, mate. Whenever I take my wife to Screwfix, she knows shit's about to get real. All those DeWalt cordless drills are the perfect leg opener. As is a hydraulic breaker if you literally need to open... you know what, I'll leave it there.

8 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Please thank Mrs SP for expanding my lexicon today. 

I'd been backpacking around the world for almost 2 years and almost out of money, was heading east through the US on the last leg. I lost my credit card while in Phoenix, Arizona and in those pre-Internet days had a hell of a job trying to get my bank to send out a new one. They wouldn't send it to my parents, I had no permanent address and whatnot. I was having money wired out, then going off for 2 weeks to see as much as I could before returning to Phoenix to find...still no credit card. I'd call them again (long distance from a payphone), find out what the excuse was this time and repeat the cycle. As a result, my dwindling funds were being used just going back and forth to Phoenix and I wasn't seeing the country the way I'd hoped. After a while, I took a job at the Backpacker's Hostel, working for free in exchange for my lodgings. One afternoon, a bunch of us went to a coffee shop and got talking to two cuties who were intrigued by the range of accents. One of them started coming over to the hostel to visit and then, showing me around Phoenix on my days off. Finally my credit card came through but I got a bit of a shock when the woman who ran the hostel immediately said. "That's great but now it's time for you to leave." Oh. 

This was late November and the places I still really wanted to see, New York, Boston and Chicago aren't easy to visit on a budget in winter. I was more than a bit bummed because it essentially meant my trip was over and had I known that, I could've gone home a couple of months earlier and saved some money. However, my new friend said "Well, I'm going on holiday next week and had planned to hire a dog-sitter. Why don't you stay at my place and look after my dogs for me. By the time I get back, you might have a better idea what you'd like to do." On new year's eve, after knowing each other for about 6 weeks, we got engaged.

If I can manage another fortnight, we'll have been married 25 years next month.

Unusual for a dog to live that long. What happened to the owner?

21 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

Friends: mostly school or university.
Mrs RN#1: work
Mrs RN#2: work
Mrs RN#3: online, bereavement support group
Mrs RN#4: TBD

Image result for ross geller

Archived