Japn vs Poland

senorsoupe

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to feel sorry for Senegal in a way.  With not watching their game against Colombia I am not sure how well they played today and if they deserved to progress or not, but to lose out on the number of yellow cards picked up as a separation criteria does seem bizarre and not something I have seen before.

3 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

It only went down to fair play because everything else was level. It's not like it was the first tie-breaker; it's actually pretty damn unlikely.

This. Has it ever happened to eliminate a team before?

Don't really get the fake outrage over the way the game was played out. Every team tries to play out results, the only difference here is that both did it at the same time so it looks worse. If England are winning tonight and decide to just keep possession for the last 10 minutes no-one is going to criticise them for not trying to add more. Obviously Japan weren't winning, but their current result meant qualifying, if they thought keeping that result was their best bet then I see no issue with that. Equally with Poland, if you're effectively offered a 1-0 win with 15 minutes to go, you'd be pretty stupid to say no, keep playing and risk losing it.

3 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Don't really get the fake outrage over the way the game was played out. Every team tries to play out results, the only difference here is that both did it at the same time so it looks worse. If England are winning tonight and decide to just keep possession for the last 10 minutes no-one is going to criticise them for not trying to add more. Obviously Japan weren't winning, but their current result meant qualifying, if they thought keeping that result was their best bet then I see no issue with that. Equally with Poland, if you're effectively offered a 1-0 win with 15 minutes to go, you'd be pretty stupid to say no, keep playing and risk losing it.

Oh yeah, this.

If Japan had tried to commit a few players forward for an attacking move and got hit on the counter attack to go out, it'd have been devastating for them. Huge stakes to stay in when it's so finely balanced. Safe to say if they'd conceded a second a lot of the same pundits bitching and moaning about the way they saw the game out would doubtless be making noises to the effect of "WHY DIDN'T THEY JUST PARK THE BUS, THEY WERE THROUGH? CRAZY FROM THEM TO LEAVE THEMSELVES WIDE OPEN AT THE BACK SO LATE ON"

The Japan team are here to win and progress, whatever that takes; they're not here to entertain neutrals.

The onus was on Senegal, not Japan.

I also don't get the outrage. A team content with the score as it stands will always run down the clock and keep the ball in the corner. It's simply unusual for both sides to be happy with the score at the same time.

8 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Japan’s equivalent of Dundee rewind?

Get some photos.

Minus the fat mutants. My phone died sadly but I was interviewed by the local news station so there will be some footage for the "horrific nightclub* photos"  thread!

*Pub in this case!

7 hours ago, Dee Man said:

Fucking wanks. Missus picked 1-0 Colombia and 1-1 in this game. Whale hunting c***s. 

I wouldn't recommend the whale.....I only tried it to piss off my Greenpeace loving Aunt off!

PS - Even the Japanese in the pub were a bit embarrassed about the farcical end to the game last night.

Have two teams ever finished exactly equal on points/GD/goals/head-to-head result in the group stage before?

The closest I can think of is 1994 when Mexico, Italy, ROI and Norway all finished on 4, and Norway finished bottom due to goals scored.

12 hours ago, nsr said:

Have two teams ever finished exactly equal on points/GD/goals/head-to-head result in the group stage before?

The closest I can think of is 1994 when Mexico, Italy, ROI and Norway all finished on 4, and Norway finished bottom due to goals scored.

ROI & The Netherlands at Italy 1990 finished exactly 2nd/3rd on GD, goals scored and head to head. Both were through though as their record was good enough to be amongst the 4 best 3rd placed teams. However, 2nd was still an advantage as that team would play Romania as opposed to 3rd place who were due to play West-Germany. It went down to drawing of lots and the Irish finished second. They then beat Romania (on penalties) while The Netherlands got knocked out by Germany.

2 hours ago, Marten said:

ROI & The Netherlands at Italy 1990 finished exactly 2nd/3rd on GD, goals scored and head to head. Both were through though as their record was good enough to be amongst the 4 best 3rd placed teams. However, 2nd was still an advantage as that team would play Romania as opposed to 3rd place who were due to play West-Germany. It went down to drawing of lots and the Irish finished second. They then beat Romania (on penalties) while The Netherlands got knocked out by Germany.

Cheers for that. I wonder who had the better fair play record :)

Archived