Plastic Bags

Back in the good old days plastic bags carried a warning that young children could suffocate if left to play with them.

When I was about 3 my big brother was about 7 and I think I got on his nerves. He used to score that message out using a marker pen then give them to me to play with.

Cruel barsteward.

Read somewhere that the "bags for life" cost 50 times as much energy to produce than the  "single  use" bags. Used to use the free bags for kitchen bin bags so not sure if the environment is gaining very much.

7 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Read somewhere that the "bags for life" cost 50 times as much energy to produce than the  "single  use" bags. Used to use the free bags for kitchen bin bags so not sure if the environment is gaining very much.

We used to do the same, although we still had oodles of bags left over, stuffed into a bag container hanging behind the kitchen door.

Now I buy plastic bags especially for the kitchen waste bin, so not really sure how effective the "saving the planet" campaign has been in our house.

10 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

There's something quite weird about how we all play along with the plastic bag thing and the various recycling bins whilst mankind slowly but surely destroys the planet alongside it's other species on a daily basis with far more harmful actions.

Aye, it's depressing how anything we do is effectively irrelevant besides the environmental impact of such freedom-loving states as Trumpistan and China.

10 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Maybe PTTGOYN for this but British people using the word 'bugs' when they mean 'insects' is nauseating.  Almost as bad as the phrase 'pre-sliced bread'.

10 hours ago, Tony Ferrino said:

I did at first type "insects", but then wondered about just how low down the food chain we're fucking things up.☺

Of course the correct terminology for all creatures between the size of a midge and a large spide is beastie.

They're all just beasties.

10 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

Of course the correct terminology for all creatures between the size of a midge and a large spide is beastie.

They're all just beasties.

You should know by now the correct term is Tedies

Really couldn't give a f**k about 'the environment'. Life is far too short to be worrying about that. 

We'll all be dead soon enough and the planet will continue in one way or another with, or without our help. 

Mrs Tdb recycles and all that shit. I just drive an uneconomical car and ride two stroke motorcycles. 

Bags???? Meh!! 

10 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

Really couldn't give a f**k about 'the environment'. Life is far too short to be worrying about that. 

We'll all be dead soon enough and the planet will continue in one way or another with, or without our help. 

Mrs Tdb recycles and all that shit. I just drive an uneconomical car and ride two stroke motorcycles. 

Bags???? Meh!! 

It'll be a right laugh when your grandchildren die of air pollution, right enough.

Worth noting that supermarkets, and indeed any shop, are under zero obligation to give anyone a bag, of any variety, for free.

I'm actually surprised it took the government measure for them to all stop handing out free bags.

7 hours ago, The Moonster said:

It'll be a right laugh when your grandchildren die of air pollution, right enough.

I won't be giving a f**k in the slightest.

Firstly, I'll be long dead. Probably. I'm more than half way through at a guess. 

Secondly, no kids, no grandkids. No worries :) Right enough ;) 

20 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Read somewhere that the "bags for life" cost 50 times as much energy to produce than the  "single  use" bags.

I would be interested in seeing a source for this. 

Used to use the free bags for kitchen bin bags so not sure if the environment is gaining very much.

The primary concern with bags is not the energy they cost but their very long lives as they break down slowly. This means that many end up in oceans where they play hell with wild life. 

Estimates suggest there has been an 80% drop in plastic bag use. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-36917174

• 4 years later...

Hello there. I always take a backpack while shopping, lol. I guess it's the most reasonable option. I understand that most people don't want to carry backpacks, but it's convenient and safe for the environment. So, why not? As for bags in general, I'm really fond of the kraft bags like these ones https://www.interplas.com/stand-up-bags/kraft-stand-up-pouches. They look great, and I hope they are easy to produce. Anyway, a backpack or just a bag has always been an option. Best wishes, guys.

Edited by KhalilPowell