Plastic Bags

You will all know the hoo-ha about doing away with the single use supermarket plastic bag. That evolved into the 5p charge for such, the 5p of course going to local charities.

Supermarkets then pushed their ‘bags for life’ at 10p a go. Presumably the 5p still goes to local charities. The additional 5p? You’ll work it out....

But (most of) the virtue signalling supermarkets now do not offer the single use bag and instead now only offer the 10p bag. Brilliant for them and for the charities - a necessary cost that the supermarkets had to bear in the past and a new income source for the charities has now been passed on to the consumer.

My gripe however was that all this was predicated on saving the environment. Net result - I think- is that there’s now 60-80% (no evidence but will gladly be put right) of the same amount of plastic bags being used but they are of much thicker density (ie take longer to break down) and everyone is coining in extra per bag for something that used to be given out for free.

Charities win, supermarkets win, government wins (because they get to tax the profit on these reusable bags) but I can’t see that the supposed beneficiary - the environment - is any further ahead at all.

Any PnB views?

You will all know the hoo-ha about doing away with the single use supermarket plastic bag. That evolved into the 5p charge for such, the 5p of course going to local charities.

Supermarkets then pushed their ‘bags for life’ at 10p a go. Presumably the 5p still goes to local charities. The additional 5p? You’ll work it out....

But (most of) the virtue signalling supermarkets now do not offer the single use bag and instead now only offer the 10p bag. Brilliant for them and for the charities - a necessary cost that the supermarkets had to bear in the past and a new income source for the charities has now been passed on to the consumer.

My gripe however was that all this was predicated on saving the environment. Net result - I think- is that there’s now 60-80% (no evidence but will gladly be put right) of the same amount of plastic bags being used but they are of much thicker density (ie take longer to break down) and everyone is coining in extra per bag for something that used to be given out for free.

Charities win, supermarkets win, government wins (because they get to tax the profit on these reusable bags) but I can’t see that the supposed beneficiary - the environment - is any further ahead at all.

Any PnB views?

60-80% ?

That's a fair old guess to base this thread on.

I'd say a 40% reduction in plastic bags is quite significant.

I've got thousands of the fuckers, think I'll stand outside a shop and give them away for free. Do you think I'd get moved on?

Yes, but for very different reasons Tam.

1 minute ago, tree house tam said:

I've got thousands of the fuckers, think I'll stand outside a shop and give them away for free. Do you think I'd get moved on?

You're depriving charities doing that.
The best thing to do here is to bin the bags, or just throw them in the street and get people to buy new ones.

35 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

I've got them taking up space in my car, in my wheelybins and under the sink. They are like tribbles...

3 minutes ago, glassnahalf said:

Morrisons are wanting people to take in their own tupperware if they want to buy meat or fish. So wait for the new line in approved plastic dishes...

Using your own containers reduces the use by dates on meats due to the lack of guaranteed hygiene.

3 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

Using your own containers reduces the use by dates on meats due to the lack of guaranteed hygiene.

^^^Never seen the inside of a supermarket supplier's factory. Guaranteed hygiene! :lol:

ETA: They tell you to cook your food thoroughly for a reason. It isn't degradation of the product. Probably.

Edited by Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo

Just now, Zen Archer said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it. I recall someone tried this a few months back but because of the concern over cross contamination they were refused. Seems it's OK now for whatever reason.

Morrisons only sell the bigger bags now. No more so called single use types on sale at the tills. 

They all should just use the big Primark type paper bags. They feckers could probably carry a deid body in them without bursting.

There's something quite weird about how we all play along with the plastic bag thing and the various recycling bins whilst mankind slowly but surely destroys the planet alongside it's other species on a daily basis with far more harmful actions.

9 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

There's something quite weird about how we all play along with the plastic bag thing and the various recycling bins whilst mankind slowly but surely destroys the planet alongside it's other species on a daily basis with far more harmful actions.

Yes, if you kill too many bugs then the food chain all the way up collapses and there would be no need for carrier bags.

25 minutes ago, supermik said:

Morrisons only sell the bigger bags now. No more so called single use types on sale at the tills. 

They all should just use the big Primark type paper bags. They feckers could probably carry a deid body in them without bursting.

No you half to chop them in half and use two.  Easier to carry though as it provides balance.

13 minutes ago, Tony Ferrino said:

Yes, if you kill too many bugs then the food chain all the way up collapses and there would be no need for carrier bags.

Maybe PTTGOYN for this but British people using the word 'bugs' when they mean 'insects' is nauseating.  Almost as bad as the phrase 'pre-sliced bread'.

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

Maybe PTTGOYN for this but British people using the word 'bugs' when they mean 'insects' is nauseating.  Almost as bad as the phrase 'pre-sliced bread'.

I did at first type "insects", but then wondered about just how low down the food chain we're fucking things up.☺