Turkey

Ylf

• 4 years later...

Bump.

Going to Lara Beach in Turkey (or should that be Türkiye now) in October.

Haven't been for a few years but wondering if anyone has been recently and can advise on what currency is best to take.

Historically, I've always taken Lira, but that was when you were getting around 4/5 lira to the pound and it seemed a relevant currency. With the Lira being an absolute binfire now at just shy of 35 lira to the pound am I as well just taking Euros?

From previous experience i seem to remember the tourist areas pricing everything in € anyway and converting to TL on request (rather than the other way round) so Id prefer not to take a huge pile of lira notes if there's no benefit to doing so.

On 22/08/2023 at 20:47, Todd_is_God said:

Bump.

Going to Lara Beach in Turkey (or should that be Türkiye now) in October.

Haven't been for a few years but wondering if anyone has been recently and can advise on what currency is best to take.

Historically, I've always taken Lira, but that was when you were getting around 4/5 lira to the pound and it seemed a relevant currency. With the Lira being an absolute binfire now at just shy of 35 lira to the pound am I as well just taking Euros?

From previous experience i seem to remember the tourist areas pricing everything in € anyway and converting to TL on request (rather than the other way round) so Id prefer not to take a huge pile of lira notes if there's no benefit to doing so.

Take a small amount of lira and put the rest on a chase/revolut/starling card and withdraw lira from the cash machines or pay by card when needed. Folk will tell you to pay in English notes or Euros because the Turks give you better rates, that's absolute pish. Haggle like f**k or they'll take advantage and always reject the conversion rate when withdrawing cash.