Canadian Football League

GNU_Linux

From BT Sport EPG Friday 6th August 01:30

CFL
?source=http%3A%2F%2Fimages-live.youview.tv%2Fimages%2Fentity%2F77361641%2Fprimary%2F1_1024x576.jpg%3Fdefaultimg%3D0&ETag=Oe41dfvRzToC6XOY4TsrAA%3D%3D&resize=485
BTSPORT_ESPN_EB_201907290816.jpg&resize=200
6 Aug 2021 1:30am
Live CFL: Hamilton @ Winnipeg

Duration: 3hrs
Action from the Canadian Football League as Winnipeg Blue Bombers host Hamilton Tiger-Cats at Investors Group Field.

Action from the Canadian Football League as Winnipeg Blue Bombers ht
Action from the Canadian Football League as Winnipeg Blue Bombers host Hamilton Tiger-Cats at Investors Group Field.
Hamilton Tiger-Cats at Investors Group Field.

Managed to catch most of the first half yesterday, missed a bit when my inconsiderate 11 month decided to wake up! Considering there was no preseason the play was pretty decent standard, after their quick touchdown, Hamilton never really looked in it for me. Hoping to catch some of the game tonight before bed and the whole of the Toronto - Calgary game tomorrow. 

Week 1

Hamilton 6-19 Winnipeg
BC 29-33 Saskatchewan
Toronto 23-20 Calgary
Ottawa 16-12 Edmonton

Blue Bombers win in the rematch of 2019 Grey Cup. Point fest galore out in the prairies. Argos edge out a close one against the Stampeders. Edmonton fail to win in their first game of the Elks era.

I guess its true that you don't realise how much you miss something until it's gone, after not really caring about the CFL for a few years, I was excited for it to start up again. Managed to catch at least a half for each game, great to see crowds again, I thought it were a lot more empty seats in Regina at first glance, until realising that everyone was just dressed in green. Considering there was no pre season, BC's kicking a side, most of the standard of play was pretty good. 

As much as I like the league, I really do wish it could expand by 3 teams at the least. Halifax would be a good start and Quebec City if Montreal allow it. 10th location would be a little trickier, there are decent size cities in Ontario, Kitchener, London and Windsor but then you'd have 4 teams in one province. 

I guess its true that you don't realise how much you miss something until it's gone, after not really caring about the CFL for a few years, I was excited for it to start up again. Managed to catch at least a half for each game, great to see crowds again, I thought it were a lot more empty seats in Regina at first glance, until realising that everyone was just dressed in green. Considering there was no pre season, BC's kicking a side, most of the standard of play was pretty good. 
As much as I like the league, I really do wish it could expand by 3 teams at the least. Halifax would be a good start and Quebec City if Montreal allow it. 10th location would be a little trickier, there are decent size cities in Ontario, Kitchener, London and Windsor but then you'd have 4 teams in one province. 
Saskatoon is another that springs to mind as football is most popular in the prairies. Don't think the Rough Riders would be on board with that however. The Schooners bid looks dead in the water or pushed back a good few years sadly with Halifax discontinuing the stadium project.

Imo the ideal league size would be 12 but I don't see that happening any time soon.

4 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

Saskatoon is another that springs to mind as football is most popular in the prairies. Don't think the Rough Riders would be on board with that however. The Schooners bid looks dead in the water or pushed back a good few years sadly with Halifax discontinuing the stadium project.

Imo the ideal league size would be 12 but I don't see that happening any time soon.

There maybe an opportunity for Rangers and Celtic B teams to get in.

3 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

The Halifax group should look at Moncton, they already have the stadium that could expanded to 25,000. My buddy is a Riders diehard, grew up in Swift Current, always said he didn't think CFL would work in Saskatoon as they have too many diehard Riders fans there already that travel to Regina for games and the province is too small to support two teams. 

If Detroit Lions continue to be awful and the borders open up again properly then Windsor might work, Fort McMurray is a left field suggestion I'd like to see. 

• 3 weeks later...

Week 3

Edmonton 21-16 BC
Montreal 22-38 Calgary
Winnipeg 23-30 Toronto
Ottawa 10-23 Saskatchewan

Stamps rookie QB Jake Maier picks up a win in his first ever CFL start with starter Bo Levi Mitchell being placed on the 6 game IL after game day 2. Change of QB seems to have done the trick for the Argos with Nick Arbuckle starting instead of McLeod Bethell-Thompson & leading the team to a victory. Argos RB D.J Foster played a big part with 10 carries for 101yds & a TD.

Tonights Elks vs Argos game postponed

TORONTO – The Canadian Football League made the following announcement tonight:

The Canadian Football League is postponing this Thursday’s game in Toronto between the Toronto Argonauts and Edmonton Elks after receiving word earlier today that a number of Elks players have tested positive for COVID-19. This is in keeping with the standard of care for COVID-19 and professional sport. It also reflects our desire to put the health and safety of our players, coaches and staff – as well as public health – above all other considerations.

The Elks will not practice or travel until our Chief Medical Officers and public health officials have assured us it is safe for them to do so. All of the Elks’ Tier One personnel, including players, coaches and support staff will now be subjected to an enhanced testing protocol which includes isolation.

The Elks’ most recent opponent, the BC Lions, will participate in an enhanced protocol and will be monitored closely this week.  Upon review with our Chief Medical Officers, we do not believe the Lions were exposed to a high risk of infection. The league is now working to reschedule the game between the Elks and the Argonauts.

We know this is disappointing news for CFL fans, but we are confident they will overwhelmingly support our decision to put safety first.

Week 4

Edmonton P-P Toronto
Hamilton 27-10 Montreal
BC 24-12 Ottawa
Calgary 16-18 Winnipeg

No Jeremiah Masoli at QB for the Ti-Cats due to a rib injury but a comfortable win with Dane Evans at the helm. Evans stepped up in the 2019 after Masoli got injured week 7 & took the team to the Grey Cup & best regular season record. Ti-Cats CB Frankie Williams put up 184yds on kick/punt returns plus an INT to boot. WR Jevon Cottoy a stand out for BC with 5 of 5 receptions for 93yds & a TD. Blue Bombers leave it late winning off a 45yd field goal by rookie Marc Liegghio with 37 seconds left.

Late to the party but with his 191st special teams tackle in week 3 FB Mike Miller of the Blue Bombers now holds the CFL record surpassing the 190 set by long time Lions LB Jason Arakgi.

Edited by GNU_Linux

image.png.a28c191334702f2cc8099e1d9703d018.png

image.thumb.png.574461655904ddafd7b20a13938ce0a6.png

image.thumb.png.2335c7ad293a07d7ed2e5d819b951ee5.png

Argos hold on in the 4th to edge out the Ti-Cats by a sole point.

Blue Bombers with a dominant display in the Banjo Bowl over the Roughriders. Bombers backup QB Sean McGuire with 3 TDs on short yardage rushes into the endzone. Had 100% passing accuracy courtesy of a sole 50yd monster downfield. The Riders played a quarter & a half with backup Issac Harker at the helm as Cody Fajardo had to leave the game under concussion protocol about halfway through the 3rd. In the aftermath of Mcguire's second TD there was a rammy in the endzone that saw 6 penalty flags thrown leading to ejections for DB AJ Hendy & DL Garret Marino both of the Riders. Blue Bombers star RB Andrew Harris lucky not be ejected after taking the helmet off of a Riders player. Fines galore incoming. Bad day at the office for both kickers Brett Lauther & Marc Liegghio with 3/6 FGs missed.

Stampeder's win with Bo Levi-Mitchell back at the QB spot see off the Elks. Stamp's defense played a big part as Mitchell started off slow in his return & ended the game with accuracy a few % above 50.

Lions with scudding the of the Red Blacks. All signs point to Red Blacks winning the wooden spoon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...