Canadian Football League

GNU_Linux

(Bit late with this but I'm a lazy shite)

107th Grey Cup

Hamilton Tiger Cats 12-33 Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Dane Evans (Edmonton)

16/27

59.3%

203yds

1TD

1INT

Zach Collaros (Winnipeg)

17/23

73.9%

170yds

0TD

0INT

Full statline here

Winnipeg break their drought & clinch their first Grey Cup in 29 years. Hamilton now 20 years without a Grey Cup last winning in 1999. This was a battle between 2 quarterbacks who were the most unlikely at the start of the season to be playing in this game. Dane Evans started out as backup to Jeremiah Masoli but injury in week 7 ended his this season thus Evans was given the reigns for the rest of the season & helped the team to the best record in the CFL finishing 15-3 in the regular season. Evans started nervously with 2 turnovers on the first two drives & was never able to fully recover. Zach Collaros began the season with the Saskatchewan Rough Riders before going onto IR & being traded to the Toronto Argonauts  where he never played. On trade deadline day the Blue Bombers came calling with starter Matt NIcholls being out for the season & backup Chris Streveler struggling.

The QB stat lines says a lot abut this game. The Blue Bombers won in part to hometown hero running back Andrew Harris who finished with 18 carries for 134 yards & 1TD. Unsurprisingly Harris won both MVP & the Dick Suderman trophy for most valuable Canadian which is the 1st time one player has won both awards. Harris imo deserves a shot in the NFL & would be an asset to any offense.

Already been some movement with coaches. Last finising Ottawa to no one's suprise have punted Rick Campbell who had been at the helm since 2014 winning 3 eastern division titles & making the Grey Cup three times with one win in 2016 & losses in 2015 & 2018. So far Ottawa have approached & been given permission to speak with Hamilton offensive co-coordinator/wr coach Tommy Condell of Hamilton & Mark Hamilton denfesive co-coordinator/db coach also of Hamilton. Winnipeg Blue Bombers offensive co-coordinator Paul LaPolice has also been approached by Ottawa.

Edmonton Eskimos have punted Jason Maas who had been in charge since 2016. In 4 seasons The Eskimos made divisional finals 3 times losing all 3 & missed out on post-season all together in the other season. Names so far rumoured to have been approached are Calgary Stampders special teams co-ordinator Mark Kilam & ex-Ottawa head coach Rick Campbell.

The BC Lions have parted ways with Devone Claybrooks after a solitary season in charge posting a 5-13 record. BC are rumoured to also be in for Paul LaPolice the offensive co-coordinator for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

Toronto despite the 4-14 season have opted to stick with rookie head coach Corey Chamblin.

• 2 weeks later...

Some coaching updates to report.

Ottawa Redblacks have opted for Winnipeg offesnsive co-ordinator Paul LaPolice as their new head coach. LaPolice has been in the CFL since 2000 as both an offesnsive co-ordinator & various offensive coaching roles where he has 2 Grey Cups to hid name. Has previous in a head coaching role with Winnipeg 2010-2012 with a 16-28 record.

BC Lion have opted for Rick Campbell last seen as head coach of Ottawa who was fired by Ottawa at end of 2019 season. Campbell has been in CFL since 1999 as a co-ordinator & coach on both offence & defence before becoming head coach with Ottawa in 2014. With Ottawa Campbell has 1 Grey Cup & 3 Grey Cup losses to his name.

Nothing as of yet for Edmonton.

• 2 weeks later...

Edminton Eskimos have appointed Scott Milanovich as their head coach. Milanovich is currently quaterback coach with the Jacksonville Jaguars & will move once the NFL season is over.

Milanovich had an unremarkable playing career across as a qb in the NFL, NFL Europe, XFL, Arena Football & CFL. Post playing he has been a qb coach & offensive co-ordinator in CFL & NFL Europe. Between 2012-2016 Milanovich was head coach with the Toronto Argonauts where he had a 43-47 whilst winning the Grey Cup in his first season. There was another 2 post-seasons appearance with one divisional semi & one divisional final. Milanovich has been in his current role with the Jags since January 2017.

Toronto Argonauts punted Corey Chamblin in the end after a sole season as head coach with a 4-14. His replacement is rookie head coach is Ryan Dinwiddie.

Dinwiddie a qb played college at Boise State & is regarding as one of the school's best qbs. His professional career was an unremarkable 7 years in NFL Europe & CFL mostly as a backup before retiring 2011. Dinwiddie starting coaching with Montreal as a offensive quality control coach in 2014 before moving to Calgary as qb coach in 2015 where Bo Levi Mitchell won CFL's most outstanding player twice under Dinwiddies coaching & reached 3 Grey Cups with a win in 2018. The Argos have been dugshite at qb past two seasons so Dinwiddie's appointment makes sense in that regard.

• 6 months later...

WR Christian Jones has been punted by the Esks after posting a homophobic tweet on global pride day.

christion-jones.jpg&key=dba46f93fd1d93fd1d059463715c2f49ba3053d0bdea6e404607ee6e193eee16

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/edmonton-football-homophobic-tweet-1.5630546

The Edmonton Eskimos have released wide receiver Christion Jones for a homophobic tweet he sent out on the same day as global Pride celebrations. 

The swift action comes after Jones tweeted out his opposition to gay and lesbian relationships on Saturday, as people across the world celebrated Global Pride Day.

"Man ain't suppose to be with a man. A women is not supposed to be with another women," he wrote.  

The tweet was quickly condemned as hateful by people on Twitter. But Jones initially stood by his comments, sending out more than 50 tweets responding to his detractors over five hours on Saturday night. 

"I STAND ON WHAT I SAY. Regret nothing. Apologize to who???," he wrote.

In followup tweets, Jones said he would never apologize. But minutes before the team announced he had been released from the roster, Jones sent out another tweet.  

"My words were deeply hurtful, painful and served zero purpose. I added to the struggle of a community, to live a life free of oppression of any kind. I sincerely apologize," he said in a tweet on Sunday. 

The Edmonton Eskimos, long embroiled in its own controversy around the team's name, which is widely considered a racial slur, announced it had released Jones on Sunday afternoon. 

The Canadian Football League also issued a statement on Sunday, saying there is no place in the league for commentary that disparages people on the basis of religion, race, gender or sexual orientation. 

"Our league makes no claim on perfection, but it does strive to be inclusive, to accept and indeed celebrate our differences, and to respect and honour human rights," CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie said. 

People responded to Jones's now-deleted tweet, arguing that he used his public platform of more than 10,000 followers to disparage LGBTQ relationships in a way that contributes to discrimination. 

Some Twitter users began to tag the Edmonton football team's account in response, asking the team whether they would tolerate homophobic comments from a player. The team, along with the rest of the CFL, has embraced Pride month in public campaigns, altering their logos to feature the rainbow flag. 

Jones, originally from Alabama, came to Edmonton in August 2019, following a trade with the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

"I don't want any young person to think that who they choose to love is wrong, because it's not," she said. "It really hit a lot of us hard, which is why I think the community responded so quickly." 

While Irwin wants to see Jones apologize, she's not sure firing him is the right response either. She offered to help educate him on LGBTQ issues in her constituency, which includes Commonwealth Stadium.

"I want to give him the benefit that he wasn't willing to give our community," she said in an interview before the team issued its decision. "I'd be willing to share a little about my story and about the story of so many folks in our community." 

When former MLA Graham Sucha suggested Jones reach out to members of Alberta's LGBTQ community and offered contacts, Jones declined. "I'm a Black man in America, I'll figure it out," he tweeted in response. 

"It's absolutely not about anyone trying to silence someone and be racist toward him. It's about shutting down homophobia, and his tweets were clearly homophobic," Irwin said. 

This is not the first time a CFL player has been publicly condemned for homophobic comments. In 2014, the league fined at least three players for comments about Michael Sam, the first openly gay player drafted to the National Football League.

In COVID related matters:

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl-ontario-have-discussed-hamilton-burlington-hub-1.1490858

Ontario Sport Minister Lisa MacLeod says the CFL has discussed Hamilton and Burlington, Ont. as potential hub cities.

MacLeod told reporters Tuesday that in the league's discussions with the Ontario government, it has mentioned the two southern Ontario cities as possible hubs for a 2020 season.

"Absolutely," she said. "They have discussed possibly going to Hamilton or the Burlington area and I don't think any option is off the table."

The '20 CFL regular season remains up in the air due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Commissioner Randy Ambrosie has said the earliest the campaign would begin is early September, but has also added a cancelled season remains possible.

"We're right now working with them," MacLeod said. "As you know they have a substantial request financially in with the federal government and last week all the sport ministers across the country who have CFL teams met to see how we can best support the CFL."

In April, the CFL asked the federal government for up to $150 million in financial assistance due to the pandemic. The proposal involved three phases: $30 million immediately to manage the impact the novel coronavirus outbreak has had on league business; additional assistance for an abbreviated regular season; and up to another $120 million in the event of a lost 2020 campaign.

Regina was slated to stage this year's Grey Cup game but will instead hold the 2022 contest. Hamilton will host the 2021 game.

"Obviously Ontario is very excited to host the Grey Cup next year," MacLeod said. "So we want to do everything we possibly can to make then viable and that includes having a conversation with our federal counterparts about how to do that."

• 2 weeks later...

It's not just Washington in the NFL that has name issues.

We acknowledge and appreciate the feedback and input regarding our name.  We take this issue seriously as has been demonstrated by the three years we’ve spent engaging in Canada’s north and conducting research related to our name.  We recognize that a lot has occurred since this information was gathered, and as a result, we are accelerating our ongoing process of review.  We will be seeking further input from the Inuit, our partners and other stakeholders to inform our decisions moving forward.  We’ll continue to listen carefully and with an open mind.  We intend to complete our review as quickly as possible and will provide an update on these discussions by the end of this month.

https://www.esks.com/2020/07/08/statement-on-the-name/

• 2 weeks later...

The Edmonton Eskimo Football Club Board of Directors has made the decision to discontinue the use of the word “Eskimo” in the team’s name.

Since adopting the name over 100 years ago, our Club and its predecessor organizations have celebrated the hardiness and spirit of those who live in the north. The team’s values of community, integrity, respect and inclusion will not change with this decision.

Our Club launched an extensive research and engagement process on the name three years ago, with an emphasis on listening to Inuit communities. We undertook this comprehensive effort to meet our commitment and continue our tradition of being responsive to community perspectives. We augmented that outreach and research with more recent engagement and surveys involving Inuit, partners, season seat holders, casual ticket purchasers and the community at large. We are proud of this work and we intend to continue the Club’s efforts to strengthen our relationship with Inuit communities.

Recent findings demonstrate that views regarding the team name are shifting. While many fans are deeply committed to keeping the name, others are increasingly uncomfortable with the moniker. The long-term viability of the Club requires everyone to get behind this change and continue to support the team, especially during these challenging financial times. We are grateful for the backing of our partners and know that we can count on them to support us in making this difficult decision and helping us through the change.

“Our team has a long history of winning – both on and off the field – and we will continue to do so going forward,” said Janice Agrios, Chair of the Board of Directors. “We feel it is important to make this change in response to the findings of our recent engagement and research. Going forward, we want the focus to be on the work we do in the community and our team’s excellence on the field as the CFL’s most successful franchise.”

The Club will undertake a comprehensive engagement process on a new name. That process will include research and engagement with season seat holders, casual ticket purchasers and partners. In the meantime, the Club will use the names EE Football Team and Edmonton Football Team.

https://www.esks.com/2020/07/21/edmonton-football-team-discontinues-use-name-eskimos/

https://nationalpost.com/sports/football/cfl/cfl-looking-at-other-options-as-42-5m-lifeline-denied-by-sport-canada/wcm/e47905b5-3c61-4c30-bb5e-6b9eee6bf2c7/

I can't see a 2020 season happening, shame as the biggest national sports league in Canada that the powers that be have little interest in helping out financially, won't happen when Doug Ford is Prime Minister! 

(He'll never be PM as I can't see him learning French but the Fords love football!)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

https://www.tsn.ca/report-toronto-argonauts-linebacker-jeff-knox-jr-charged-with-attempted-homicide-1.1546401 Slightly old news now but I'm sure there is a joke in there somewhere about going to jail rather than playing for the Argos

Somewhat optimistically the CFL have released the schedule for the 2021 'Comeback' season starting with preseason in May, since I'm considering moving to some cities were they actually care about CFL I've been paying more attention to CFL again and every time I start getting back into CFL I have to watch this video..   

On 25/11/2020 at 07:27, Torpar said:

https://www.tsn.ca/report-toronto-argonauts-linebacker-jeff-knox-jr-charged-with-attempted-homicide-1.1546401 Slightly old news now but I'm sure there is a joke in there somewhere about going to jail rather than playing for the Argos

Somewhat optimistically the CFL have released the schedule for the 2021 'Comeback' season starting with preseason in May, since I'm considering moving to some cities were they actually care about CFL I've been paying more attention to CFL again and every time I start getting back into CFL I have to watch this video..   

The CFL is very under-valued from an entertainment perspective. It's too bad more people in the Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver areas don't appreciate it.

On 26/11/2020 at 23:05, AmericanFan said:

The CFL is very under-valued from an entertainment perspective. It's too bad more people in the Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver areas don't appreciate it.

It is a strange one, people in Toronto seem to care far more about "their" NFL team than the Argos, seems like the equivalent of living in Glasgow and only caring about your English Premier side. It's obviously no surprise that cities with no other major league teams (Hamilton/Regina) have a big interest in their teams. Winnipeg seem to get decent crowds too. I think CFL team would be better in smaller cities with no NHL team, London, Trois-Rivieres, Victoria etc

On 30/11/2020 at 08:06, Torpar said:

It is a strange one, people in Toronto seem to care far more about "their" NFL team than the Argos, seems like the equivalent of living in Glasgow and only caring about your English Premier side. It's obviously no surprise that cities with no other major league teams (Hamilton/Regina) have a big interest in their teams. Winnipeg seem to get decent crowds too. I think CFL team would be better in smaller cities with no NHL team, London, Trois-Rivieres, Victoria etc

It would be nice if they could get the Maritimes team figured out. Having a 10-team league from coast to coast would be ideal. But you'd have to find a rich enough owner and have a decent enough stadium. I have no clue if the Halifax area could support a team, but it couldn't do worse than Toronto.

• 2 months later...

The Edmonton [Redacted] have come up with a short list of seven potential names for the team. Those are Elks, Evergreens, Evergolds, Eclipse, Elkhounds, Eagles & Elements. Online survey currently up on the teams website using a system of ranking preference from worst to best.

Survey

Elkhounds for me.

19 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

The Edmonton [Redacted] have come up with a short list of seven potential names for the team. Those are Elks, Evergreens, Evergolds, Eclipse, Elkhounds, Eagles & Elements. Online survey currently up on the teams website using a system of ranking preference from worst to best.

Survey

Elkhounds for me.

Was Eskimos really that offensive? A quick Google search shows the following:

"Some people consider Eskimo offensive, because it is popularly perceived to mean "eaters of raw meat" in Algonquian languages common to people along the Atlantic coast."

Agree on the Elkhound alternative.

The use of first nations nicknames has been a hot topic in Canada for a while and the whole Black Lives Matter movement of last year prompted a lot of times to change, even times that weren't necessarily offensive, a local minor hockey team to me, Lorne Park Ojibwa recently changed their name. Inuk hockey player Jordin Tootoo said he doesn't find the term offensive but plenty of people do so seems like the right thing to do. 

Personally I don't like teams that have the same first letter of the city and the team nickname, I'm sure there is a name for it. But having an EE name would allow them to keep their logo