Canadian Football League

GNU_Linux

Anyone else follow/watch this? BT Sport carry games with games Thu-Sun with some Monday games . The league consists of 9 teams across two divisions (East & West - based on the pre CFL leagues) playing an 18 game regular season. Top 3 from each advance to playoffs known as The Grey Cup.

Canadian Football is for the most part same as its American counterpart with some exceptions like 3 downs instead of 4, 12 players instead of 11 and some other rules. As a result numerous ex-NFL players ply their trade in the CFL as its the only other option for pro gridiron football besides arena football.

Just now, List_of_Jericho said:

I try and catch as many games as possible on BT, I started following the Tiger Cats initially as Jeff Reinbold (Sky's NFL coverage) was there, see they signed up Johnny Manziel as a back up QB this season.

BT need to get their act together.

I was wanting to watch the Esks game on Saturday night but they put all three games on where two were advertised and I ended up missing the game and only found it was on by accident.

That said it's a bonkers League, but you have to admire Mike Reilly.

I went to a BC Lions game a couple of years ago when i was over. Its entertaining and the differences in downs and the size of the end zones are enough to to make it an interesting change from the NFL.  Unfortunately, i don't have BT sport to really be able to keep up to date with it.

• 2 months later...

Halfway through the season & things are as follows:

West

Calgary Stampeders (9-2)
Saskatchewan Rough Riders (7-4)
Edmonton Eskimos (7-5)
Winnipeg Blue Bombers (5-7)
BC Lions (4-6)

East

Ottawa Red Blacks (6-5)
Hamilton Tiger Cats (6-5)
Montreal Alouettes (3-8)
Toronto Argonauts (3-8)

Calgary lead out West while nobody in the East can be consistent. Toronto were hit hard losing starting QB Ricky Ray for the season to a neck injury. Backup James Franklin failed to impress so current starter is a 30 year old who had no prior top level pro starts. Montreal are onto their 4th qb this season (13th since 2014) including Johnny Manziel but are going in the right direction after a slow start.

• 1 month later...

Regular season concluded on Sunday and finished as follows:

West

Calgary Stampeders (13-5)
Saskatchewan Rough Riders (12-6)
Winnipeg Blue Bombers (10-8)
BC Lions (9-9)
Edmonton Eskimos (9-9)

East

Ottawa Red Blacks (11-7)
Hamilton Tiger-Cats  (8-10)
Montreal Alouettes  (5-13)
Toronto Argonauts (4-14)

Calgary win the West as expected but have faltered in the tail end of the season. Saskatchewan & Winnipeg round out the west post-season berths. BC go East for the post-season due to the crossover rule (explained below). Agony for Edmonton as they just miss the post-season due to an inferior head to head  vs BC.

If the fourth-place team in division A has more points, not tied, than the third-place team in division B, the fourth-place team will cross over to division B, replace the third place team in division A, and compete against the second-place team of that division.

Out East the standings are as they were at the mid point of the regular season, Montreal & Toronto both have garbage seasons so BC as mentioned already are going East for post-season play. Last season's Grey Cup winners Toronto have already reacted to finishing dead last overall by firing Marc Trestman. Montreal improved performance wise but it remains to be seen whether Johnny Football can turn around Montreal's fortunes and stop the QB revolving door that's plagued Montreal since CFL legend Anthony Calvillo hung up his throwing mitts after the 2013 season.

Post season commence this Sunday and looks as follows:

East
East SF: BC Lions @ Hamilton Tiger-Cats (11/11 18.00 GMT)
East Final: Winner of East SF @ Ottawa (18/11 18.00 GMT)

West
West SF: Winnipeg Blue Bombers @ Saskatchewan Rough Riders (11/11 21.30 GMT)
West Final: Winner of West SF @ Calgary Stampeders (18/11 21.30 GMT)

106th Grey Cup

West winner vs East winner @ Edmonton (25/11 23.00 GMT)

All games are live on BT for those curious

Eastern Semi Final

BC Lions 8 - 48 Hamilton Tiger-Cats

Travis Lulay (BC)

8/17

103 yds passing

0 TDS

0 Ints

Jeremey Masoli (HAM)

14/19

253 yds passing

3 TDs

0 Ints

Western Semi Final

Winnipeg 23 - 18 Saskatchewan

Matt Nicholls (WIN)

16/22

169 yds passing

1 TD

0 Ints

Brandon Bridge (SSK)

12/22

100 yds passing

0 TD

1 Ints

Two very contrasting games for week one of the playoffs. In the east BC get dismantled by Hamilton. Not the way departing BC Lions coach & CFL legend Wally Buono wanted to go before he retires. Out west Winnipeg edge out Saskatchewan. The closeness of the game was somewhat surprising as Saskatchewan were minus starting QB Zach Collaros who was out due to side effects of concussion. Somewhat controversial end as Winnipeg weren't hit with a 15 yard penalty after a nasty hit on Saskatchewan QB Brandon Bridge by Jackson Jeffcoat with :08 on the clock which was clearly head to head (although the refs vision was blocked by a player) & took Bridge out of the game (Jeffcoat was hit with a maximum fine a few days later). The 15 yard gain would have made a hail Mary attempt more viable.

This Sunday Hamilton go to Ottawa for the eastern final whilst Winnipeg go to Calgary for the western final.

Edited by GNU_Linux

• 2 weeks later...

Eastern Final

Hamilton 27 - 46 Ottawa

Jeremiah Masoli (HAM)
28/41
318 yds
1 TD
3 Ints

Trevor Harris (OTW)
29/32
367 yds
3 TD
0 Ints

Western Final

Winnipeg 14 - 22 Calgary

Matt Nichols (WIN)
15/32
156 yds
0 TD
0 Ints

BoLevi Mitchell (CAL)
17/31
214 yds
3 TD
0 Ints

Both division champions prevail. Ottawa comfortably beat Hamilton thanks to a masterclass by QB Trevor Harris with a 90.6% throwing conversion rate. West a  much closer affair with both QBS hovering below and above 50% respectively. This is Calgary's third Grey Cup in a row & Ottawas 3rd overall since the city returned to the CFL fold in 2014 . Ottawa have won one and lost one whilst Calgary have won 7 & lost 9. Calgary last won in 2014 and Ottawa in 2016. If they lose Sunday it'd be three Grey Cup defeats in a row for Calgary.

Ottawa look the stronger outfit & I'd have my money on them edging it out. 3rd time could be the charm however for the Stamps. The 106th Grey Cup is live on BT Sport ESPN from 11pm tomorrow.

• 1 month later...

Coaching changes at 4 teams in the off-season.

The Argonauts as already mentioned fired Marc Trestman after the last regular season game after a 4-14 season. Replaced by Corey Chamberlain who was DBC & QC at the Arkansas Razorbacks. Chamberlain was assistant HC/DC/DBC of the Argos in the Grey Cup winning 2017 season. Has held various defensive positions in the CFL & NFL Europe + 3 years as HC of the Saskatchewan Rough Riders.

At the BC Lions Wally Buono retired after an association with the CFL going back to the early 70s. His replacement is DeVone Claybrooks who was DC at the Calgary Stampeders & prior was d-line coach at same club.

At the Hamilton Tiger-Cats June Jones has stepped aside but will remain with the club as an OC and associatw head coach. His replacement is Orlando Steinauer who was the Tiger-Cats assistant coach last season. Steinhauer has held defensive roles the Toronto Argonauts & Hamilton Tiger-Cats plus DC at the Fresno State Bulldogs.

Chris Jones left the Saskatchewan Rough Riders to take up a job as a defensive coach with the Cleveland Browns (his contract had a NFL release clause). No word yet on a replacement.

Other changes include the return of a game in the Maritimes for first time since 2013. Organised by the group backing the Atlantic Schooners potential expanision franchise out of Nova Scotia.

A salary cap on operation staff cap ie coaches, medical staff etc of $258800 for the next three seasons. Coach numbers can also not exceed 11.

Atlantic Schooners have sold 6,000 season ticket applications, not bad for a team with no stadium. I get why they wanted to call them Atlantic, as there seems to be a big support for CFL in New Brunswick but Halifax wouldn't have sounded much better to me. I know there was talk of putting the team in Moncton but seems silly putting a team in a town the size of East Kilbride rather than a city nearer the size of Edinburgh.

I say to myself every year I'm gonna follow the Argonauts season but usually give up after a couple of weeks, but considering the Blue Jays will be awful next season, I may actually do it this summer, and finally get to a game at BMO Field

Atlantic Schooners have sold 6,000 season ticket applications, not bad for a team with no stadium. I get why they wanted to call them Atlantic, as there seems to be a big support for CFL in New Brunswick but Halifax wouldn't have sounded much better to me. I know there was talk of putting the team in Moncton but seems silly putting a team in a town the size of East Kilbride rather than a city nearer the size of Edinburgh.
I say to myself every year I'm gonna follow the Argonauts season but usually give up after a couple of weeks, but considering the Blue Jays will be awful next season, I may actually do it this summer, and finally get to a game at BMO Field
the Atlantic name is a carryover from the original bid back in the 80s that was accepted but never actually got round to playing. Hopefully they get accepted and can pave for future expansion down the line.

The Argos could be interesting next season as it's still unclear (as far as I know) if Ricky Ray is returning at QB or not after missing most of the season with a neck injury/being 39. Last thing they need is an awful season as they have the lowest avg attendance. From what I can tell Canadian Football is a bigger deal out east.

• 3 weeks later...

Rough Riders have a new head coach. Internal appointment as they appoint special teams co-ord Craig Dickenson. Dickensen has experience as a special teams co-ord & running backs coach in the CFL, few seasons in NCAA & two years with the Chargers in the NFL

• 1 month later...

Bit late but Johnny Manziel has been banished & banned from playing on any CFL team because of "a contravention of the agreement which made him eligible to play". The contravention hasn't been specified but clearly the boy never seems to learn. The QB revolving door at Montreal continues.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...