[Solved] Firefox Update // SSL Failure // Avast AV

Buddist Monk

Question

Edit: This has been resolved, Avast is the fault in combination with Firefox's update. Either update Avast (there seems to be an update available) or disable it to allow FF to the load in the SSL certificate and from that point on it should be sorted.

Just a quick head's up. Firefox (on desktop) updated to v61 .. 

Capturse.PNG.94abfd38d58445e7bc21679b37da6b5e.PNG

..which has meant that this site is now giving the following error..

Capture.thumb.PNG.5b1d2c830d0750ba81a1def3ad04b5f7.PNG

I am using Chrome to post this, and as it uses webkit it's likely Safari, Opera and Edge will all still be working too as they use the same engine.

Other sites are working in Firefox, I've not found any other issues. 

Edit: It seems you are not the only one suffering the issue, several Google services also fall down (GMail and the inline search triggered from the address bar in Firefox - the normal search method us unaffected). 

5 answers to this question

Just a quick head's up. Firefox (on desktop) updated to v61 .. 
Capturse.PNG.94abfd38d58445e7bc21679b37da6b5e.PNG
..which has meant that this site is now giving the following error..
Capture.thumb.PNG.5b1d2c830d0750ba81a1def3ad04b5f7.PNG
I am using Chrome to post this, and as it uses webkit it's likely Safari, Opera and Edge will all still be working too as they use the same engine.
Other sites are working in Firefox, I've not found any other issues. 

Thanks for this, much appreciated. Will take a look at this today.

41 minutes ago, Div said:

Thanks for this, much appreciated. Will take a look at this today.

I've just edited it, with a couple of other sites falling down.

If I had to make a guess I think Mozilla will have tightened up their security components but not realised not all servers are set up to adhere to the same rules. This happened previously with the Firefox Developer build although it was a different error.

I've just realised this is in the wrong section of this forum... sorry. I meant to post it into the support one not the announcements.. :(

Working ok here on 61.0. Can you try running FF in Safe Mode to see if that fixes it for you? If so it will be one of your extensions causing the issue?

Or it's a conflict with local security software.

Do you use Avast by any chance?

This bug report appears to point to a conflict between latest FF and Avast;

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1468892

1 hour ago, Div said:

Working ok here on 61.0. Can you try running FF in Safe Mode to see if that fixes it for you? If so it will be one of your extensions causing the issue?

Or it's a conflict with local security software.

Do you use Avast by any chance?

This bug report appears to point to a conflict between latest FF and Avast;

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1468892

It totally is. I can only apologise, I really should have checked that.

Disable Avast and I'm through, which is an odd one as I don't have any extensions that would cause this issue and Avast is not allowed anywhere near my browser.  Interestingly Avast has just (within the last hour) pushed out an update and I guess that's in response to this. Why it would choose your SSL to dick with I have no idea, but you are in good company as some Google services were also throwing a wobbly.

That said, I forced through the certificate manually (before Avast released the update) and once it's been processed it's happy to treat it as normal. 

I will update the title/thread. 

Thanks for a prompt reply to this, and again my apologies for wasting your time on something I probably could have diagnosed myself.

1 hour ago, Buddist Monk said:

It totally is. I can only apologise, I really should have checked that.

Disable Avast and I'm through, which is an odd one as I don't have any extensions that would cause this issue and Avast is not allowed anywhere near my browser.  Interestingly Avast has just (within the last hour) pushed out an update and I guess that's in response to this. Why it would choose your SSL to dick with I have no idea, but you are in good company as some Google services were also throwing a wobbly.

That said, I forced through the certificate manually (before Avast released the update) and once it's been processed it's happy to treat it as normal. 

I will update the title/thread. 

Thanks for a prompt reply to this, and again my apologies for wasting your time on something I probably could have diagnosed myself.

Not at all. Glad it's resolved :thumsup2

Archived