A-League 2018/19 & FFA Cup 2018

Eednud

With Australia heading home from the WC after their usual inability to score goals. The FFA still a bunch of useless c***s with no resolution of the issues FIFA/AFC have with the system. No decision on expansion clubs except for a comment from Gallup that he prefers clubs from an area with 1m or more population. Guess he wants 3 each in the big 2 cities. Th new A-league season not due to start until 19 October it seems a good time to start the new season's thread.

The FFA Cup First Round proper or Round of 32 draw was made last night. Think it';s the usual 6 A-League teams drawn against each other with the other 4 away to NPL sides. The draw is as follows with games between 24 July-8 August.

Perth Glory (1) v Melbourne Victory (1)  
  Brisbane Roar (1) v Melbourne City (1)  
  Northcote City (2) v Devonport City (2)  
  Queensland Lions (2) v Olympic FC (2)  
  Gwelup Croatia (3) v Adelaide Comets (2)  
  Canberra FC (2) v Broadmeadow Magic (2)  
  Cairns FC (2) v Armadale (2)  
  Avondale (2) v Marconi Stallions (2)  
  Rockdale City Suns (2) v Sydney FC (1)

• Eednud changed the title to A-League 2018/19 & FFA Cup 2018

It's the year of the Popa Revolution with Glory! Looking forward to the season starting and the FFA draw looks tasty.

As for the FFA, I really hope Fifa get involved and dump Gallop on his ineffective arse. We don't need another fucking Sydney or Melbourne team, Tassie should get a spot.

I wonder what brilliant advertising gallop has up his sleeve? With the most intrest in football for the last few years happening now in Australia you'd think the ffa would be all over this as an opportunity to advertise our domestic game

Apparently the FFA will reveal the expansion shortlist on Friday.

As for the FIFA investigation, what exactly is happening here, I thought they were sacking the FFA Board and installing an interim Board to run the game until reform went through?

I never understood why the A-League didn't expand further, even despite the scare of both Fury and Gold Coast United flopping hard. Since then we've gotten one Sydney and one Melbourne club, with the latter being a gangrenous corpse tied to the City Football Group's strings. Crossing my fingers for Tasmania to finally get their team, really hope they'll be selected but it'll probably be Wollongong and a second team from Melbourne or Adelaide.

Was ready to back Fremantle City but with Juventus behind it á la Melbourne City, I'd rather not.

I never understood why the A-League didn't expand further, even despite the scare of both Fury and Gold Coast United flopping hard. Since then we've gotten one Sydney and one Melbourne club, with the latter being a gangrenous corpse tied to the City Football Group's strings. Crossing my fingers for Tasmania to finally get their team, really hope they'll be selected but it'll probably be Wollongong and a second team from Melbourne or Adelaide.
Was ready to back Fremantle City but with Juventus behind it á la Melbourne City, I'd rather not.
Football in Western Australia isn't big enough to support two A-league teams at the moment. Its a AFL town and it doesn't seem to be changing any time soon. Doesn't help when all forms of media are so openly biased towards AFL either.

Apparently the FFA will reveal the expansion shortlist on Friday.
As for the FIFA investigation, what exactly is happening here, I thought they were sacking the FFA Board and installing an interim Board to run the game until reform went through?
Rumour is Fifa intervention will happen after the world cup as not to distract from the Fifa showpiece in Australia

1 hour ago, XIII said:
15 hours ago, DutchBorderer said:

Football in Western Australia isn't big enough to support two A-league teams at the moment. Its a AFL town and it doesn't seem to be changing any time soon. Doesn't help when all forms of media are so openly biased towards AFL either.

Sounds just like Adelaide. 

So the short-list for the league expansion has been announced

South West Sydney FC

United for Macarthur (Sydney)

Southern Expansion (Sydney region)

Team 11 (Melbourne)

South Melbourne FC

Western Melbourne Group

Brisbane City FC

Ipswich Pride FC

Canberra & Capital Region

Wollongong

So 3 from Sydney and 3 from Melbourne, and no Tasmania, ffs it's as if the FFA want the league to flounder

The c***s running the FFA do. Don't like the thought of losing their fiefdom. They'd fit into the SFA, SPFL or SJFA very well. Out of that lot Canberra and Wollongong for me or at a push Ipswich but f**k the rest.

Besart Berisha is joining Yokohama F Marinos of the J.League.

As for the shortlist utterly shameful and short sighted to shaft Tasmania. From the list I'd take Canberra & Wollongong. Ipswich I'd be ok with except for the fact they'd play out of Suncorp ie not in Ipswich.

It's going to be a Sydney and Melbourne team isn't it?

2 hours ago, Eednud said:

The c***s running the FFA do. Don't like the thought of losing their fiefdom. They'd fit into the SFA, SPFL or SJFA very well. Out of that lot Canberra and Wollongong for me or at a push Ipswich but f**k the rest.

Surely Canberra have to be a shoe-in now that Tasmania have been dumped.  Wollongong as well but I doubt they'll go for that over another Melbourne/Sydney club.

I'm hoping for the Wolves and Canberra, really can't see a third team from Sydney or Melbourne being good for the game.

Omitting Tassie is criminal imo. A untapped state with no AFL influence should be top of the list for expansion and Tassie fits the bill.

32 minutes ago, XIII said:

So looks like a second tier to the A-league might be back on the cards.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/ffa-to-hold-second-division-talks

Personally I think it's Gallop trying desperately trying to stop Fifa from intervening by saying the stuff that fans and clubs want.

Looks that way, a leopard doesn't change it's spots.

Rumours of the FFA trying to get Torres and Honda to the A-league and are willing to put up $2m per player.

Hoping with Tony Pignatas success in bringing in Del Perio to Sydney he could do the same and bring in one of them to Glory, ideally with Keogh exiting at the same time

Can you hear the drums Fernando? Not in the A-League you won't. Looks like he's going to Chicago Fire in MLS. Also looks like Honda in reveers as he's after a USD5m 1 year contract according to https://www.news.com.au/sport/football/a-league/spanish-superstar-fernando-torres-set-to-snub-aleague-and-sign-deal-with-mls-side-chicago-fire/news-story/b4c86351c3a147d6a4ad1c4d2336cadc

Anyone know when the fixtures are out? Can't find anything.

Last season they were released on 22nd June. Not sure why this season’s are so late unless they were hoping to have some actual marquee players to announce. They will introduce FIFA International breaks in the schedule next season but that shouldn’t delay the release.