Nigeria v Argentina

TheScarf

19 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

If that's in any way true, then I'm not surprised. He's visibly been a heart attack waiting to happen this week.

But even so, I sincerely hope he pulls through.

Taking on the full Belgian team in 86 and having one of the greatest WC photos ever.

Hand of god

The greatest goal ever scored

Dragging his nation to the World Cup

Dragging his sub par nation to another final 4 years later

The goal, celebration and subsequent fallout of USA94

The wild moments on the sidelines in 2010 and actually having them believe he could win it as a gaffer

And then the absolute madness of tonight.

I love the guy and hope he's OK, but it's obvious that Maradona is the undisputed king of the World Cup. The first player (even more than Pele) who comes to mind when the WC is mentioned. I sincerely hope he isn't in a bad way but let's be honest, if he popped his clogs during the tournament after what looks like a week long marching powder bender, would anyone really be shocked or expect any less?

If Mr World Cup goes, you know he'll go at a World Cup.

He'll be fine though, he'll be staggering about in Kazan on Saturday with his jaw swinging for the fences like the mad legend he is.

That Belgian photo - just in case you don't know what I mean.

image.png.cddc5a34355dfa7b3fd8c1fcb177e92d.png

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Taking on the full Belgian team.

Hand of god

The wild moments on the sidelines in 2010 and actually having them believe he could win it as a gaffer

I love the guy and hope he's OK, but it's obvious that Maradona is the undisputed king of the World Cup. The fist player (even more than Pele) who comes to mind when the WC is mentioned. I sincerely hope he isn't in a bad way but let's be honest. If he popped his clogs during the tournament after what looks like a week long marching powder bender, would anyone really be shocked or expect any less?

He'll be fine though, he'll be staggering about in Kazan on Saturday with his jaw swinging for the fences like the mad legend he is.

Good post.  Maradona is the absolute fkn boi and the greatest of all time without a doubt.  A genuine legend.

8 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Taking on the full Belgian team in 86 and having one of the greatest WC photos ever.

Hand of god

I love the guy and hope he's OK, but it's obvious that Maradona is the undisputed king of the World Cup. The first player (even more than Pele) who comes to mind when the WC is mentioned. I sincerely hope he isn't in a bad way but let's be honest, if he popped his clogs during the tournament after what looks like a week long marching powder bender, would anyone really be shocked or expect any less?

Great photo but not remotely indicative of what was actually going on...

702803D4-5059-44B2-A1A3-CF77D619048A.jpeg

12 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Hand of god

Just to add what he did with Napoli. Comparing great players, especially over different eras, is daft, but his ability to force results while covering every area of the pitch makes him the most effective player in history to me.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/copa90/2017/may/11/diego-maradona-naples-napoli-fans-30-years-scudetto

Just now, welshbairn said:

Just to add what he did with Napoli. Comparing great players, especially over different eras, is daft, but his ability to force results while covering every area of the pitch makes him the most effective player in history to me.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/copa90/2017/may/11/diego-maradona-naples-napoli-fans-30-years-scudetto

Don’t think that Scudetto at Napoli was at a World Cup to be honest m8. Happy to be corrected.

50 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Missed this earlier and watching the highlights.

Not convinced by that penalty.

If that is given then they'll be giving about 5 pens a game.

I prefer the intended alternative outcome, that defenders stop wrestling and holding the opposition in the box, football breaks out and there's no need to give any penalties.

3 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Plus Belgium actually won that game (opening match of Spain 82).

Yes, he was pretty poor in this game actually. After that last still, he tries to lift it over to the Argie at the top of shot and gives it straight to the Belgian bunch instead!

9C4CA5DA-0F24-4F50-A3B5-9551C626DBC8.jpeg

36 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Hand of god

Not to mention making the whole of a major country seethe about his actions 32 years later while near 60 year old professionals still bitterly spit out venom about him and his nation. Lad.

34 minutes ago, Christophe said:

Great photo but not remotely indicative of what was actually going on...

702803D4-5059-44B2-A1A3-CF77D619048A.jpeg

Agreed. Its still an absolutely iconic photo, though. 

I did mean to say 82 in the original post (honestly! ). Think it gets mixed up quite commonly with the 1986 semi. 

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Hand of god

IMG_20180627_003947.thumb.jpg.6eb5dece6e058a97e9e8ffadd5f152c8.jpg

Did I imagine this or after Messi scored did the commentator say something like "Well all the top players in the World Cup are on fire now: Messi...Ronaldo...Diego Costa...*awkward pause*...Harry Kane"?

37 minutes ago, nsr said:

Did I imagine this or after Messi scored did the commentator say something like "Well all the top players in the World Cup are on fire now: Messi...Ronaldo...Diego Costa...*awkward pause*...Harry Kane"?

He called them the “big guns” and yes, Sir Harry of Kaneshire was mentioned alongside Messi and Ronaldo.

Archived