Little Racist House on the Prairie

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are an optimist about the future then you must be a pessimist about the past.

If attitudes have improved in the last hundred years then it follows that attitudes from one hundred years ago are - unimproved.

I think when Laura Ingalls Wilders says "there were no people here - only Indians" - that would reflect the attitudes at that time - even if they would be totally inappropriate now.

American Independence was all about "All men being equal" when even the President owned slaves.

I suspect almost every writer or famous person from long ago would have held some views that would be totally unacceptable now.

3 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I think more of people from the 50s calling people darkies than I do people who respond to banana's posts tbh

This is a good shout, young Miguel, and one which caught me in a dilemma posting on the ice cream thread the other day.  I was born at the arse end of 1959.

We all know that we don't call a convenience store 'the Paki' anymore nor the purveyor of chicken pineapple with cashew nuts 'the Chinky'.  However, what about the peripatetic dispenser of frozen confectionery?  Is 'the Tally' acceptable or not?

Obviously I have lived 'down here' for a fair few years but I'd welcome input from the resident Scotch.

16 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

This is a good shout, young Miguel, and one which caught me in a dilemma posting on the ice cream thread the other day.  I was born at the arse end of 1959.

We all know that we don't call a convenience store 'the Paki' anymore nor the purveyor of chicken pineapple with cashew nuts 'the Chinky'.  However, what about the peripatetic dispenser of frozen confectionery?  Is 'the Tally' acceptable or not?

Obviously I have lived 'down here' for a fair few years but I'd welcome input from the resident Scotch.

I wasn't born in the 50s and don't know what a Tally is, sorry.

2 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I wasn't born in the 50s and don't know what a Tally is, sorry.

Short hand for Italian - since so many ice cream parlours/vans were operated by our big southern European pals.

Astonished you don't know the term.

21 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

It's 'Eye-tie' rather than 'Tally' shirley ?

There's also a joke somewhere in here about you, input and Scotch.

3 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Short hand for Italian - since so many ice cream parlours/vans were operated by our big southern European pals.

Astonished you don't know the term.

So before my time in fact that to my knowledge I've never seen an Italian in charge of an ice cream van, although I am vaguely aware of the phenomenon.

Plus I was reading a book by (well, about) an Italian man who described being called a wop all his professional life which might have been overly influencing my thoughts, but that's probably a more North American term.

26 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

IIRC: "Little House on the Prairie" was Ronald Reagan's favourite TV show.

It certainly wasn't the Waltons because Grandpa Walton was a ... - uh oh -  this bit has been censored.

You've got Reagan  mixed up with Bush Snr. He was slagging off the Simpsons by saying America should be more like the Waltons.

2 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

It's 'Eye-tie' rather than 'Tally' shirley ?

There's also a joke somewhere in here about you, input and Scotch.

"Can I go to the Tally for a pokey hat" is right and that 'Eye-tie' was never used to describe an ice cream van around the Glasgow/Lanarkshire area.

I am also certain that most jokes about me and 'Scotch' have been done to death.  Think of a new one and I may laugh ;)

3 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

"Can I go to the Tally for a pokey hat" is right and that 'Eye-tie' was never used to describe an ice cream van around the Glasgow/Lanarkshire area.

I am also certain that most jokes about me and 'Scotch' have been done to death.  Think of a new one and I may laugh ;)

It's maybe a east coast thing then. Was used to describe the purveyors of fish and chips rather than ice cream.

3 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I’m not sure whether we should stop children reading Little House on the Prairie because of its outdated views. I’d happily can it because it’s utter shit.

Just like your outdated Avatar...which is very offensive to the 50 million killed under that flag... 

6 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

It's maybe a east coast thing then. Was used to describe the purveyors of fish and chips rather than ice cream.

40 miles but different terms?  Motherwell chip shops in the 60s/70s included Gino's, Suave's and Onesti's - the latter still operating.  We only used the 'Tally' term for ice cream vans, though.

Question remains:  Is 'Tally' an acceptable term for ice cream vans or is it racist?

19 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

40 miles but different terms?  Motherwell chip shops in the 60s/70s included Gino's, Suave's and Onesti's - the latter still operating.  We only used the 'Tally' term for ice cream vans, though.

Question remains:  Is 'Tally' an acceptable term for ice cream vans or is it racist?

Given that nobody will know what you're on about, you should be ok.

Archived