Little Racist House on the Prairie

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44604844

They're removing Laura Ingall's name from a literary award set up in her memory because her work was racist, apparently.  They "had received complaints for years over the Little House on the Prairie author's "anti-Native and anti-Black sentiments in her work".

Examples of this are: "one of the opening chapters of the Little House books described a land with "no people. Only Indians lived there" and "The only good Indian is a dead Indian," one character says. At other points in the series, African-American characters are called "darkies".

I'm from a generation that perhaps thinks she was of her time and her writing was indicative of the views of settlers. What say P&Bers? 

Have any P&Bers read the books (I did when I was 8 or 9 and loved them)

Have any P&Bers oppressed and murdered a minority race?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

They're removing Laura Ingall's name from a literary award set up in her memory because her work was racist, apparently.  They "had received complaints for years over the Little House on the Prairie author's "anti-Native and anti-Black sentiments in her work".

Examples of this are: "one of the opening chapters of the Little House books described a land with "no people. Only Indians lived there" and "The only good Indian is a dead Indian," one character says. At other points in the series, African-American characters are called "darkies".

I'm from a generation that perhaps thinks she was of her time and her writing was indicative of the views of settlers. What say P&Bers? 

She was the goodie. fùck knows what they'd make of Nellie Olsen.

20 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

You do realise who you've just triggered a pre-cum spurt from?

I don't see what the problem is.
It's a children's book association so it's probably better that they stop honouring a racist. Especially when around 50% of kids born today in the US are non-Hispanic white.

Kids should still read the books though. The series is important literature and it's good to reflect on how ideas and times have changed for the better.

Reparation is fine as long as it doesn't erase the tale that history has to tell.

1 hour ago, NewBornBairn said:

I don’t think you speak for your generation.

You could argue that Hitler was of his time; there was lots of anti-Semitism in 1920s/1930s Germany, that’s why he got away with what he did.  Doesn’t really excuse it though.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I don’t think you speak for your generation.

You could argue that Hitler was of his time; there was lots of anti-Semitism in 1920s/1930s Germany, that’s why he got away with what he did.  Doesn’t really excuse it though.

Are you comparing Laura Ingalls with Hitler?

5 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Are you comparing Laura Ingalls with Hitler?

Do you think that’s harsh on Hitler?

Actually I was pointing out that your supposed reasoning had no merit.

22 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

You can’t go about judging people of yesterday based on today’s moral standards. Nobody would stand up to scrutiny.

We are all products of our place and time. Even some of the views held by pie and bovril’s right on saints will be judged with horror by history.

It’s bizarre how keen society is to try historical for holding views that were perfectly acceptable at that time. When you consider how keen society is to ignore actions such as blowing people up and killing innocent people that were wrong yesterday, wrong today and wrong tomorrow.

Lots of 'classics' don't meet modern standards but some subjects are more 'p***kly' than others. Orphans on the rob is fine but say anything iffy about a different culture is bad. Last of the Mohican's is a dire read because of our modern views (mine included) but made a good film when it was slightly tweaked. Basically anything from about a hundred years ago is a bit dodgy due to the different moral standards. 

5 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I didn't realise it was a book. Up there with the waltons and sons and daughters for making me go play outside as a kid.  

Ban the boring b*****ds.

Add The Sullivans to the list of “oh f**k I’d rather pour boiling hot Tattie soup down my japs than watch that”.

8 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I didn't realise it was a book. Up there with the waltons and sons and daughters for making me go play outside as a kid.  

Ban the boring b*****ds.

Nothing wrong with the Waltons, mate.

:(

Archived