Iran v Portugal

King Kebab

3 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Thanks for confirming what I said. 

Considering the position of the Portuguese player's arm, outstretched and above should height, the three VAR and the match referee determined that the contact met the conditions of deliberate handball and awarded a penalty.

The exact wording of a rule is a secondary concern.

Graham Poll wrote this when the handball rules were last ammended

Regarding handball they now ask the referee to consider the proximity of the potential offender to the person last playing the ball, the speed of the ball and importantly whether the offender's arms are in a natural or unnatural position.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, that should never be a penalty and there needs to be some clarification on that rule. It should have been dismissed by var before it even got to the ref. How can 4 referees think that was a penalty unless they are interpreting the laws totally differently.

He wasn't even looking at the ball ffs, how can it be deliberate?

56 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Arm is out above shoulder height...

When the ball hits his arm his arm is horizontal, and his arm is moving downwards and away from the ball at the time. The position of the arm is only considered as it is an indication of whether the handball may have been deliberate or not. There is absolutely nothing there that suggests that was deliberate. He is jumping backwards, his arms are where you would expect them to be and the ball is headed against him from inches away behind his back. To give a penalty having seen a few replays is ridiculous.

Referee completely failed to control that game even with VAR, Iran penalty was a gobsmackingly bad decision anmd surely you either show Ronald to the red card or dont book him if there was nothing in it.  Poor ref.

But it’s not a case of violent contact or nothing, is it? The yellow card, I presume, was for unsporting behaviour rather than violent conduct. I don’t have any problem with the yellow card there.

Otherwise I agree, but the Ronaldo thing he got spot on.

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

But it’s not a case of violent contact or nothing, is it? The yellow card, I presume, was for unsporting behaviour rather than violent conduct. I don’t have any problem with the yellow card there.

Otherwise I agree, but the Ronaldo thing he got spot on.

If yer booking him for that, you book the Iran player as well as he was clearly trying to block Ronaldos run.

The time taken to get tae that point was crazy though

48 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Considering the position of the Portuguese player's arm, outstretched and above should height, the three VAR and the match referee determined that the contact met the conditions of deliberate handball and awarded a penalty.

The exact wording of a rule is a secondary concern.

Graham Poll wrote this when the handball rules were last ammended

Graham Poll can write what he wants. He doesn't make the laws of the game. 

4 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

Didn't Graham Poll book the same player three times in a game?

He can f**k off :lol:

Croatia v Australia, josep Simunic.

One of the bookings Simunic got was noted as for Australia because he was born there & has an Aussie accent.

5 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

Didn't Graham Poll book the same player three times in a game?

He can f**k off :lol:

I vaguely recall pictures from an English league game at the start of the season following that world cup of fans mocking him with home made yellow cards with a 3 printed on them.  I cannot remember if it was the premier league or championship off memory though.

2 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Someone hasn't watched rugby in years because all modern ruby games have devolved into players claiming and play acting for penalties.

I watch as much rugby as football, which is to say an anti-social amount, and that's total and utter mince. 

On reflection I think that's the worst penalty decision I've ever seen. Any ref can make a mistake in the heat of the moment, seeing the event at full speed from only one angle and only once. But for three eejits in a box to want to show it to the ref, plus the ref to see it a few times, and still give it, is stupefying. 

The guy's arm was at shoulder height, it wasn't between the ball or the attacking player and the goal, and the ball was headed down onto the arm from literally inches away. I hate to do the "if that's a penalty", but if that's a penalty then we're going to see attacking players aim for arms rather than the goal, which will be shite.

1 hour ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Lets not forget rugby is a game for people who think putting their dick in a friend's pint is 'a laugh'. Therefore, any comparisons with rugby are meaningless.

Rugby is currently ahead of football on video replay decisions, advantage, the ten metre rule for backchat, penalty tries, player discipline, communication from referees to players during the game, diving, head injury assessments, live video and replays on the big screen, VAR/TMO decisions on the big screen so fans can see it and referee mics. 

Football is currently ahead on stereotyping the behaviour of others based on a minuscule minority that's rapidly being stamped out, in an incredible glasshouse-stones kinda way.

Finally got a chance to see the highlights of this one.  Portugal's indiscipline could be a serious problem for them if they don't keep it under control they won't go far, Ronaldo and maybe even Quaresma should have been off.   The  penalty call at the end was awful though, should not have been given

Archived