is hair dye acceptable for men?

is dye acceptable?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A barber once told me that if your grandfather on your mum's side had not gone bald nether will you. Not sure how much truth is in that... Mind you, my mum's dad had a full head of hair and so do I. I started going grey when I was in my early 20's and I'm 46 now and totally grey. It's more a silver grey, though. I have no problem with it.

27 minutes ago, scotfree said:

A barber once told me that if your grandfather on your mum's side had not gone bald nether will you. Not sure how much truth is in that... Mind you, my mum's dad had a full head of hair and so do I. I started going grey when I was in my early 20's and I'm 46 now and totally grey. It's more a silver grey, though. I have no problem with it.

I've heard various things about what causes hereditary baldness. It's from your Dad, from your paternal grandfather, or your maternal - personally, I think it's just the luck of the draw. Both my grandfathers were bald but my dad had a full head of hair until he died in his 80's and I'm not showing any indication of baldness yet (mid 50's). But as I said upthread, mine first started going grey when I was a teenager.

On 26/01/2019 at 01:27, scotfree said:

I’ve heard that one too and it’s shown to be true in my case. I’m no statistician but I’m sure a sample size of 1 is perfectly acceptable.

On 26/01/2019 at 02:39, Shotgun said:

I've heard various things about what causes hereditary baldness. It's from your Dad, from your paternal grandfather, or your maternal - personally, I think it's just the luck of the draw. Both my grandfathers were bald but my dad had a full head of hair until he died in his 80's and I'm not showing any indication of baldness yet (mid 50's). But as I said upthread, mine first started going grey when I was a teenager.

Both my Grandads went off to war with full heads of hair, and came back bald. Claimed it was due to having to wear hats all the time. They were both at Gallipoli though. 

Started greying when I was 19 , very much hereditary . My dad went grey fairly young , and my grandfather was totally white since I could ever remember . My brother also very similar to me , both now mid-forties and almost totally grey .

Never , ever bothered me though , in fact , while I was still single and in my early 20's , it seemed to help tap into the market of pumping 30 something divorcees  and single mothers you met at the dancin' . Think it had the effect of making you look a bit more mature or sensible than some of your other steaming , dark haired mates . I'm all for that tbh .

Mon the grey guys .

On 26/06/2018 at 20:11, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Mengele had a little nickname for Adolf, it was Delilah.

Ill just leave that there.

I thought the nickname was "pussycat." 

It's where the song "What Jew, pussycat? "  came from.  Longing for the days when they would sit trying to spot Jews whilst drinking coffee in Venice. 

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Both my Grandads went off to war with full heads of hair, and came back bald. Claimed it was due to having to wear hats all the time. They were both at Gallipoli though. 

Fun fun fun with the Ottoman.

Spoiler

Some seriously grim shit there tbf.

On 26/01/2019 at 09:27, scotfree said:

I wouldn't let a geneticist cut my hair and for the same reason I wouldn't let a barber try to teach me about gene science. I'm going to say his belief is an old wives tale/lot of shite. If it was true then all siblings would have the same head of hair, or lack of. I've got a younger brother who is bald whereas I've got a full head. 

As for the Gallipoli story I'd guess the hairloss is more likely to be stress related than wearing a hat. 

9 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

I wouldn't let a geneticist cut my hair and for the same reason I wouldn't let a barber try to teach me about gene science. I'm going to say his belief is an old wives tale/lot of shite. If it was true then all siblings would have the same head of hair, or lack of. I've got a younger brother who is bald whereas I've got a full head. 

I'd recommend not doing one of those ancestry/DNA things as a family surprise for Christmas. 

17 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

Started greying when I was 19 , very much hereditary . My dad went grey fairly young , and my grandfather was totally white since I could ever remember . My brother also very similar to me , both now mid-forties and almost totally grey .

Never , ever bothered me though , in fact , while I was still single and in my early 20's , it seemed to help tap into the market of pumping 30 something divorcees  and single mothers you met at the dancin' . Think it had the effect of making you look a bit more mature or sensible than some of your other steaming , dark haired mates . I'm all for that tbh .

Mon the grey guys .

When you say mid-forties are you per chance referring to your year of birth.  This sounds like something my great-grandparents would have said.

17 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

met at the dancin'

Edited by strichener

52 with a slight amount of grey and a hairline and thickness most 25 year olds dream of, if I want to dye it I will, not for reasons of vanity, just because I can and I've never been a sheep.

On 26/01/2019 at 01:27, scotfree said:

18 hours ago, mathematics said:

I’ve heard that one too and it’s shown to be true in my case. I’m no statistician but I’m sure a sample size of 1 is perfectly acceptable.

I can certify this as complete nonsense.  I've got two older brothers, one completely bald and the other one with a receding hairline, mine is still hanging on quite strong but have noticed a slight recede in the last year.  Grandfather on my mothers side had a full head of hair for all of his 96 years.

24 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I can certify this as complete nonsense.  I've got two older brothers, one completely bald and the other one with a receding hairline, mine is still hanging on quite strong but have noticed a slight recede in the last year.  Grandfather on my mothers side had a full head of hair for all of his 96 years.

I hate to break this to you bud, bud someone has been naughty along the way...