Who is going to win the World Cup

21 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's probably to do with them having players all across top European clubs

Yeah, now they do. That's not typical, they've usually relied on a fair few domestic players who were decent at best.

Scotland made up the spines of clubs that won multiple European Cups and we still achieved the sum total of f**k all.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Following on from the OP, here are the revised probabilities from the Quarter-Finals...

Interesting that Brazil are still overwhelmingly the side most likely to make the final and win, despite having substantially much tougher sides to face.

DhNfihAWAAc25dY.jpg:large

As a proper gloryhunter, I've changed the team I'm rooting for. Allez les Bleus! Lets hope they stuff Belgium, I can't stand the thought of them winning the World Cup...

Getting slightly more hopeful about an Argentina Uruguay final, both will have to improve though. My wild card of Mexico took a bit of a dip today.
P.S. Haven't checked if they would meet before the Final which would be annoying.
I don't want your lottery numbers!!

if its a france/belgium v croatia/ sweden  final  would like to see croatia /sweden win ,the two   i dont want to win are belgium/ england, if its russia v france final   who cares will not be bothered much who wins, if its belgium v england , oh f##k i will not watch. i have a feeling that will be the final, no the final will be croatia v france 

Only two former winners left, and even at that they only won it by playing home games...so either a first time winner or a first “proper” doing it away from home World Cup win for someone!

12 hours ago, Christophe said:

Only two former winners left, and even at that they only won it by playing home games...so either a first time winner or a first “proper” doing it away from home World Cup win for someone!

i've had a quick look back at what the odds are for a 'big' football country winning the tournament when it's in their own country. For 'big' I'm just roughly trying to judge whether that country would have been a realistic contender on neutral ground, so the likes of Switzerland, Mexico and Japan/South Korea don't count.

I reckon it's 50/50, which is pretty incredible really.

Times a big home country won: 
Uruguay 1930
Italy 1934
England 1966
West Germany 1974
Argentina 1978
France 1998

Times a big home country didn't win:
France 1938
Brazil 1950
Spain 1982
Italy 1990
Germany 2006
Brazil 2014

So there was a period of 32 years (1950-1982) where every single time a country hosted a tournament who had a realistic chance of winning, they won it.

20 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

i've had a quick look back at what the odds are for a 'big' football country winning the tournament when it's in their own country. For 'big' I'm just roughly trying to judge whether that country would have been a realistic contender on neutral ground, so the likes of Switzerland, Mexico and Japan/South Korea don't count.

Uruguay 1930
Italy 1934
England 1966
West Germany 1974
Argentina 1978
France 1998

France 1938
Brazil 1950
Spain 1982
Italy 1990
Germany 2006
Brazil 2014

So there was a period of 32 years (1950-1982) where every single time a country hosted a tournament who had a realistic chance of winning, they won it.

That’s pretty incredible, didn’t for a minute imagine it was so significant. I’m sure there will be plenty written about home advantage psychology etc, but for my part I think a massive part of Gareth Southgate’s success thus far has been tapping into the spirit back home. You don’t see an interview go by without him or one of the players mentioning the celebrations in the pubs and streets in England, it’s almost a gathering of groundswell around you that a home team enjoys, whereas I think previous England managers have distanced themselves and the team from what’s going on at home. I’m certainly no psychologist but I wonder if that’s made a difference? 

21 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Uruguay 1930
Italy 1934
England 1966
West Germany 1974
Argentina 1978
France 1998

France 1938
Brazil 1950
Spain 1982
Italy 1990
Germany 2006
Brazil 2014

Moving away from the 'big' country thing, there are other examples of the host nation doing okay (compared to expectation):-

Switzerland 1954 QF

Sweden 1958 finished as runners-up

Chile 1962 finished 3rd

Mexico 1970 QF

Mexico 1986 QF

Italy 1990 finished 3rd

USA 1994      round of 16

South Korea 2002 finished 4th

Japan       2002     Round of 16

Russia 2018   QF

It's clear all Scotland needs to do is raise a £billion or so, build eight 40,000 capacity, and one 80,000 capacity stadia round the country, and we've got a great chance of getting out of the group stage.

12 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

It's clear all Scotland needs to do is raise a £billion or so, build eight 40,000 capacity, and one 80,000 capacity stadia round the country, and we've got a great chance of getting out of the group stage.

Well, at least we'd be qualified.

15 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Moving away from the 'big' country thing, there are other examples of the host nation doing okay (compared to expectation):-

Switzerland 1954 QF

Sweden 1958 finished as runners-up

Chile 1962 finished 3rd

Mexico 1970 QF

Mexico 1986 QF

Italy 1990 finished 3rd

USA 1994      round of 16

South Korea 2002 finished 4th

Japan       2002     Round of 16

Russia 2018   QF

Aren't South Africa the only host nation to not qualify for the 2nd stage?

Archived