Who is going to win the World Cup

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Of the teams who have won it before, I'd like to see Germany do it again. France/Argentina/Uruguay I wouldn't mind. I have irrational and varying amounts of hatred for Brazil, Spain and England so none of them please.
Ideally I'd like to see someone new win it: Belgium, Croatia or Colombia for example.
Hatred of England is not irrational but pure football rivalry.

8 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Belgium won't win it. All fur coat and no knickers.

They're good in midfield & strong up front, but their defence is going to let them down tbh. Also, they've more or less taken over the role the Dutch used to play by eventually self-destructing after internal issues every single tournament.

Belgium remind me a lot of England.

Because so many of their players play in England and therefore are familiar to us , they are hyped up and their players are assumed to be better than players who play in different leagues that we rarely see playing.

Getting slightly more hopeful about an Argentina Uruguay final, both will have to improve though. My wild card of Mexico took a bit of a dip today.

P.S. Haven't checked if they would meet before the Final which would be annoying.

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Getting slightly more hopeful about an Argentina Uruguay final, both will have to improve though. My wild card of Mexico took a bit of a dip today.

P.S. Haven't checked if they would meet before the Final which would be annoying.

They can only meet in the quarters now.

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Yeah they would meet in the quarters unfortunately if Argentina beat France and Uruguay beat Portugal.

6 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

They can only meet in the quarters now.

6 minutes ago, Blue_e'hm_A_Dee said:

Yeah they would meet in the quarters unfortunately if Argentina beat France and Uruguay beat Portugal.

Shite. Cheers.

The World Cup is hotting up now. The games yesterday were both excellent with lots of good performances.

Uruguay and France both look the part. If it’s going to be a European team then France or Spain look the most likely.

On 26/06/2018 at 06:46, Willie adie said:

belgium. the perennial under achievers.

the Jimmy White of world football.

I don't really understand this thing about Belgium being underachievers. As a football nation they're about the same size as us. Similar numbers of players, clubs, similar incomes and attendances. But working backwards from the most recent tournament their World Cup record is QF, DNQ, DNQ, R16, G32, R16, R16, SF, G12,

Ours is DNQ, DNQ, DNQ, DNQ, G32, DNQ, G24, G24, G24

Their Euro record is QF, DNQ, DNQ, DNQ, G16, DNQ, DNQ, DNQ, G8, RU.

Ours is DNQ, DNQ, DNQ, DNQ, DNQ, G16, G8, DNQ, DNQ, DNQ.

Surely we're the underachievers? Let's not get started on England, who are by a distance the biggest underachievers of the major footballing nations.

5 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I don't really understand this thing about Belgium being underachievers. As a football nation they're about the same size as us. Similar numbers of players, clubs, similar incomes and attendances. 

It's probably to do with them having players all across top European clubs

Archived