Fishing

Central

Bumping this thread with a question.

I've got some old fishing gear (from the 1950s) and I'm wondering how to pass it on?

I know there's a Hardy Brothers fly fishing reel that's got some decent value but other than that it's just 4 rods, a few old spinners, and some random hooks and tackle.

I'm not necessarily looking for much money (other than the value of the reel mentioned) but I'd like it to go to someone that could put it to good use.  Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

Bumping this thread with a question.

I've got some old fishing gear (from the 1950s) and I'm wondering how to pass it on?

I know there's a Hardy Brothers fly fishing reel that's got some decent value but other than that it's just 4 rods, a few old spinners, and some random hooks and tackle.

I'm not necessarily looking for much money (other than the value of the reel mentioned) but I'd like it to go to someone that could put it to good use.  Any suggestions?

Personally, that’s something I’d probably hold onto given it’s age. With the technology changing so much over the years, stuff from the 50s may be a bit redundant now, especially when it comes to fly fishing. Are the rods old split cane rods? Like you said there probably isn’t much value in them but an antiques shop or the likes may be interested in them if they are in good nick.

4 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Personally, that’s something I’d probably hold onto given it’s age. With the technology changing so much over the years, stuff from the 50s may be a bit redundant now, especially when it comes to fly fishing. Are the rods old split cane rods? Like you said there probably isn’t much value in them but an antiques shop or the likes may be interested in them if they are in good nick.

I might do that actually.  Yeah, three of the rods are split cane rods.

I'm pretty sure the Hardy reel is valuable (similar ones  seem to go for £500-£800) but I'm guessing it's value will only increase over time.

17 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I might do that actually.  Yeah, three of the rods are split cane rods.

I'm pretty sure the Hardy reel is valuable (similar ones  seem to go for £500-£800) but I'm guessing it's value will only increase over time.

Aye the Hardy reel will definitely be worth a bit of money. They are almost considered the pinacle of fly fishing reels and the purists wont think twice about dropping a few hundred quid on one of the current ones (I’d love to get myself one but I’m not sure the better half would approve). They really do produce some lovely looking reels and they are very highly regarded. Older ones from the 50s will be highly collectable and if it is in good condition you will make some decent money on that! Again I’d probably hold onto that and store it somewhere where it can’t get damp etc and if you do think about punting it it would probably be worth seeking out a collector of stuff like that rather than selling to someone who is looking to sell it on and make money off of it. 

Out of interest do you know what model the reel is? 

I still use an old Hardy “The Perfect” 3 3/4” salmon reel. It was given to my dad by an old, long-departed friend and still works perfectly, it must be mid 20th c. That and my old man’s 35 year old 14’ Hardy rod, I am the ultimate dandy on the river. 

11 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Aye the Hardy reel will definitely be worth a bit of money. They are almost considered the pinacle of fly fishing reels and the purists wont think twice about dropping a few hundred quid on one of the current ones (I’d love to get myself one but I’m not sure the better half would approve). They really do produce some lovely looking reels and they are very highly regarded. Older ones from the 50s will be highly collectable and if it is in good condition you will make some decent money on that! Again I’d probably hold onto that and store it somewhere where it can’t get damp etc and if you do think about punting it it would probably be worth seeking out a collector of stuff like that rather than selling to someone who is looking to sell it on and make money off of it. 

Out of interest do you know what model the reel is? 

It's a 'perfect reel' - 3 1/8 = bought for £25 in the 50s

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, Blue1870 said:

More videos added since my last post and a few more still to go online fir 2023 on CF Fishing. Best watched on TV youtube app.

Like and Subscribe 😊 

https://youtube.com/@cffishing6886?si=uosEWQB3IQNSaGpJ

Nice to see a few videos from my stomping ground on there. I’ll give them a watch 👍🏼 I’m planning on buying an estuary/River Leven ticket next season, a few of the guys from my work have been hammering the sea trout down near the castle at Levengrove Park.