Fishing

Central

I’ve been entertaining thoughts of starting fishing again, after a 30 year break.

I have a book (more a glossy brochure) on angling in Fife, which was commissioned by the Fife Tourist Board Who no longer exist. The book was published in 2000. It’s a tremendous book/brochure. The only problem is it’s a bit dated. The first two coarse fishing places I went to scope out were Loch Gelly and a disused quarry called Little Gleniston Pond in the book. Loch Gelly doesn’t look promising and when I went to scope out the quarry I had a run in with a concerned farmer who didn’t want me worrying his pregnant sheep. 

if you want to see everything that’s wrong with centralisation of services, just look at what’s happened here. It’s now Visit Scotland and Scottish Water, rather than Kingdom of Fife Tourist Board and East of Scotland Water. Have a look at the Visit Scotland website and see how low down the pecking order fishing is and try an download their guide. As for Scottish Water, I have never had good dealings with them.

876C99FB-717C-4BF0-900A-9D8848795FBA.jpeg

527DFA3B-B728-46CF-9B51-F22ECDB6570D.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

My wee boy has developed a mad interest in fishing and camping, which I'm over the moon about as it's time not on some form of YouTube or iPad!

I've been the odd fishing trip over the years but my wee cousins right into fishing, used to do the match sea fishing for Scotland youths etc so he's pretty clued up. Decided to take him up Loch Earn 2 weeks ago and he had an absolute ball. Camped overnight and the wee man landed 6 trout and a common eel. Took him to Avon trout fishery last week and got a couple decent rainbows as well so it seems he's got an interest anyway which I'm happy to nurture!

Magiscroft fishery this Friday for a few hours as well so hopefully catch a few more!

IMG_20200731_141103.jpg

My wee boy has developed a mad interest in fishing and camping, which I'm over the moon about as it's time not on some form of YouTube or iPad!
I've been the odd fishing trip over the years but my wee cousins right into fishing, used to do the match sea fishing for Scotland youths etc so he's pretty clued up. Decided to take him up Loch Earn 2 weeks ago and he had an absolute ball. Camped overnight and the wee man landed 6 trout and a common eel. Took him to Avon trout fishery last week and got a couple decent rainbows as well so it seems he's got an interest anyway which I'm happy to nurture!
Magiscroft fishery this Friday for a few hours as well so hopefully catch a few more!

IMG_20200731_141103.thumb.jpg.c5159ed1d489b38c98c5f5d65bfdb3e8.jpg

Have a pal that stays at Lochearnhead, far western point of the Loch, what a beautiful part of the world, spent many an hour’s fishing up there and had some decent Brown Trout over the years.

• 1 month later...

Went up Loch Venechar last week, I was fishing for pike and the wee man set up for trout.

Weather was beautiful, not a cloud in the sky and not a ripple on the water. Fishing was absolutely horrendous, he had 1 bite and hooked a browny, came off before we landed it and that was the lot, had the tent out for camping aswell, but even overnight it was poor.  Going to go up the north Calder water for a wee hour or 2 this week.  It's about a 20 min walk from me so I'll shove the wee rod in my bag and a wee tub of work and sit on the bank for an hour and relax.

• 3 weeks later...

Wee man managed to land his first pike yesterday all by himself. So chuffed for him honestly, he was fishing for wee roach and perch using maggot for a while but he decided he wanted to deadbait, so we kept him in his wee kids telescopic rod with absolutely rubbish line and just fired a double treble rig with a bit of lampray.

The take nearly pulled his rod into the water, he jumped up, grabbed it and played it for 10 mins, thing was stripping line from this wee kids reel. My cousin waded out and landed it in the net. 6lb on the dot.

Made it all worthwhile the 2 hour drive home!!

PXL_20201017_160503208.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Wee man managed to land his first pike yesterday all by himself. So chuffed for him honestly, he was fishing for wee roach and perch using maggot for a while but he decided he wanted to deadbait, so we kept him in his wee kids telescopic rod with absolutely rubbish line and just fired a double treble rig with a bit of lampray.
The take nearly pulled his rod into the water, he jumped up, grabbed it and played it for 10 mins, thing was stripping line from this wee kids reel. My cousin waded out and landed it in the net. 6lb on the dot.
Made it all worthwhile the 2 hour drive home!!
PXL_20201017_160503208.thumb.jpg.c222c23fd70378985adb8364de09a7e4.jpg
Fantastic [emoji106]

• 3 weeks later...

Chilly this morning!

Wee boys sacked the fishing for the winter, says he'll go again when we can camp.  I've been enjoying it continuously though right through since those first posts! Because of the travel restrictions at the moment we're not going anywhere too mental just now.  Last week we were up at the "3 quarries" just past inverhouse distilleries in Airdrie, old flooded quarries that have loads of roach and used to have loads of pike also, until it got hammered during the first lockdown, and 2 or 3 families of Eastern Europeans actually set up camp round 2 of the quarries for about 7-10 days and decimated the pike population, but it was good sport feeder fishing for roach (below).

Got my first ever "thermo suit" as an early birthday gift which is handy coming into the cold weather, and today we're going to try fishing the bit of the monklands canal at Blairhill.  My cousin's been working down by there this week and had taken a walk every lunch and thrown some sweetcorn In everyday this week to try and get the fish feeding in that area, so fingers crossed for some action today.

PXL_20201122_143148531.MP.jpg

Chilly this morning!
Wee boys sacked the fishing for the winter, says he'll go again when we can camp.  I've been enjoying it continuously though right through since those first posts! Because of the travel restrictions at the moment we're not going anywhere too mental just now.  Last week we were up at the "3 quarries" just past inverhouse distilleries in Airdrie, old flooded quarries that have loads of roach and used to have loads of pike also, until it got hammered during the first lockdown, and 2 or 3 families of Eastern Europeans actually set up camp round 2 of the quarries for about 7-10 days and decimated the pike population, but it was good sport feeder fishing for roach (below).
Got my first ever "thermo suit" as an early birthday gift which is handy coming into the cold weather, and today we're going to try fishing the bit of the monklands canal at Blairhill.  My cousin's been working down by there this week and had taken a walk every lunch and thrown some sweetcorn In everyday this week to try and get the fish feeding in that area, so fingers crossed for some action today.

PXL_20201122_143148531_MP.thumb.jpg.08757121d44714c338416861e54bb522.jpg
Would they not have thrown the Pike back, hardly a delicacy

16 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
On 29/11/2020 at 07:09, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:
Chilly this morning!

Me, you, or anyone else in it for the sport would have thrown the pike back, but a bailiff who normally works the lily loch up cruix saw (at various times btw) different groups of people either BBQ'ing the pike or preparing the fish for cooking. Not wee jack's either, double figure weight fish .

Another year goes by. One more youtube video to be added this week and thats me done.

Follow my fishing adventures on my channel. From Stranraer but lived in Glasgow for nearly 20 years which sees me fish mostly the Loch Lomond system fir Salmon and seatrout with occasional trips to other rivers. Also do seafishing when back in stranraer. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCasgwMTZ_sU6HFRywJm3oYQ

On 29/11/2020 at 14:54, John Lambies Doos said:
On 29/11/2020 at 07:09, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:
Chilly this morning!

On 30/11/2020 at 07:27, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Me, you, or anyone else in it for the sport would have thrown the pike back, but a bailiff who normally works the lily loch up cruix saw (at various times btw) different groups of people either BBQ'ing the pike or preparing the fish for cooking. Not wee jack's either, double figure weight fish .

They are b*****ds for taking pike out. You’d think there was no form of food available here.

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
13 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Decent day on loch ken, 3 pike including a nice double, no bad for sitting at 0 degrees temperature! Lost another fish at the death as well.

What bait do you use?

I've not been like fishing a lot tbf, this year was my first time trying it. If been fishing a lot over the years but just basic sea fishing and a bit of trout angling.

The few times I've been like fishing I've tried a few things, but found the best success with either Lampray sections of half an eel.  My cousin who I was down with yesterday, caught 2 fish, 1 using a roach and one using half a mackrel.

do you get out the fishing much yourself?

I've not been like fishing a lot tbf, this year was my first time trying it. If been fishing a lot over the years but just basic sea fishing and a bit of trout angling.
The few times I've been like fishing I've tried a few things, but found the best success with either Lampray sections of half an eel.  My cousin who I was down with yesterday, caught 2 fish, 1 using a roach and one using half a mackrel.
do you get out the fishing much yourself?
Not as much as I'd like tbh. I actually took my daughter few weeks ago (surprisingly she is more interested than my son's). We went up north of Milngavie, past mugdock where there are a few wee lochs.. Needless to say caught nothing..we were just spinning..

First time i took my daughter, me and the cousin just went down behind the EE building in greenock, there's a wee brick pier thing there.  Crab and mussel on a hook and away he go.  Caught all sorts that day and she had an absolute ball.

Probably go down the Douglas water next weekend and see what's happening.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/07/2019 at 19:40, Blue1870 said:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCasgwMTZ_sU6HFRywJm3oYQ my fishing channel. From stranraer I was brought up fishing the rocks of the rhins of galloway. No every mark very well. Did some trout fishing as well. Then 20years ago moved to Glasgow. I am member of the LLAIA. fish for silver tourists oll over Scotland. Quite funny fishing the leven or clyde estuary when dumbarton are at home. The cheer goes up as I catch a 2lbs seatrout... maybe not.🤣⚽🎣

You've fished some really nice rivers, enjoyable videos.