Fishing

Central

I always preferred sea fishing but alas that's not as fruitful anymore. Fished of the west coast, many summer holidays in Millport. Now you really need a boat for the mackerels as they don't come as close now. Dogfish, Wrasse and the occasional Pollock is pretty much it. I hear the Fife coast there is now nothing.

My aunt had a caravan on Millport and had some great days fishing off the point and the pier. Once caught a massive f*cking eel on the pier too.

16 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:
On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 19:53, John Lambies Doos said:
I always preferred sea fishing but alas that's not as fruitful anymore. Fished of the west coast, many summer holidays in Millport. Now you really need a boat for the mackerels as they don't come as close now. Dogfish, Wrasse and the occasional Pollock is pretty much it. I hear the Fife coast there is now nothing.

My aunt had a caravan on Millport and had some great days fishing off the point and the pier. Once caught a massive f*cking eel on the pier too.

f**k eels!

36 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Took the bairn up the Union Canal this afternoon for a couple of hours, got 4 perch. First time the bairns caught a fish emoji846.png

Superb!

What were you using? I’ve never fished the union, where is decent to go?

2 hours ago, Central said:

Superb!

What were you using? I’ve never fished the union, where is decent to go?

Just wanted to get out and do something for a couple of hours and just to show the bairn a bit of fishing. Just used the very basic set up. Bubble float, single SSG split-shot and worm.

I was along near Linlithgow. Was good to see some signs of life in the canal and get a couple of hours of daddy/daughter time.

• 3 weeks later...
I go a lot during winter but join a trout loch in the summer. Living in galloway, I have a lot of choice of pike lochs. Some better than others. Not that i catch any big ones myself but Ive witnessed a good few being caught.

Down D&G area this week. I’m looking for recommendations for pike fishing near Castle Douglas/Gatehouse of Fleet area. Just got the wee telescopic rod and basic gear with me so not looking to catch anything much over 10lb. Had a look online and seen Carlingwark Loch, Clatteringshaws Loch and Stroan Loch are quite nearby. Stroan taking my fancy so far as it looks a fairly small water. Any tips or recommendations for elsewhere?

Was that the site up by the golf course, past the graveyard?
Apologies for the Delay.
Yep that's exactly where it is, I'm sure they usually have a 24 hour fishing comp or an overnight something or other!
Used to live millport for fishing.
The beat fishing experience I ever had was out on the wee boat, in the middle of Loch Faskally in Pitlochry as a child. Amazing.

Down D&G area this week. I’m looking for recommendations for pike fishing near Castle Douglas/Gatehouse of Fleet area. Just got the wee telescopic rod and basic gear with me so not looking to catch anything much over 10lb. Had a look online and seen Carlingwark Loch, Clatteringshaws Loch and Stroan Loch are quite nearby. Stroan taking my fancy so far as it looks a fairly small water. Any tips or recommendations for elsewhere?

Never fished clatteringshaws. Its a big resevoir but you could stop in at mccowans in castle douglas and they might be able to point you to a good spot. Ive heard its got some good pike and perch.

Carlingwark is free to fish but not the best as its in the town and fished a lot but if youre looking for an easy spot to fish for a few hours its probably worth a shot.

Stroan is a decent sized loch out of the way but limited spots to fish from along the raiders road. Never had a double from there and fished it quite a bit so could suit the gear youre using.

You could also try woodhall loch which is close by. You can fish right next to the road and a guy will come down and charge about a fiver. Its a fairly big loch but probably the most scenic and plenty of fish in there.

Theres also a place called newton farm near gatehouse of fleet with a small loch my dad used to stock trout in. Think i mentioned it on here before. Its has some huge fish in a tiny area but also a lot of jack pike. You may end up getting annoyed with the amount of weed though. I live in gatehouse and work in castle douglas so ill keep an eye out for you [emoji1]

Never fished clatteringshaws. Its a big resevoir but you could stop in at mccowans in castle douglas and they might be able to point you to a good spot. Ive heard its got some good pike and perch. Carlingwark is free to fish but not the best as its in the town and fished a lot but if youre looking for an easy spot to fish for a few hours its probably worth a shot.
Stroan is a decent sized loch out of the way but limited spots to fish from along the raiders road. Never had a double from there and fished it quite a bit so could suit the gear youre using.
You could also try woodhall loch which is close by. You can fish right next to the road and a guy will come down and charge about a fiver. Its a fairly big loch but probably the most scenic and plenty of fish in there.
Theres also a place called newton farm near gatehouse of fleet with a small loch my dad used to stock trout in. Think i mentioned it on here before. Its has some huge fish in a tiny area but also a lot of jack pike. You may end up getting annoyed with the amount of weed though. I live in gatehouse and work in castle douglas so ill keep an eye out for you [emoji1]

Just back (and soaked) from a wee couple of casts at Carlingwark. It’s not very good lol! Seems like 95% of it has 10ft of reeds round the edge so very inaccessible without a boat.

I’m in Gatehouse until Friday. That wee water at Newton Farm sounds good, apart from all the weed. (Probably the one and only time I’ll say that![emoji111]️[emoji6])

Never seen anything for Newton Farm when I was looking for places online. Is it easy to find and fairly accessible?

Just back (and soaked) from a wee couple of casts at Carlingwark. It’s not very good lol! Seems like 95% of it has 10ft of reeds round the edge so very inaccessible without a boat.

I’m in Gatehouse until Friday. That wee water at Newton Farm sounds good, apart from all the weed. (Probably the one and only time I’ll say that![emoji111]️[emoji6])

Never seen anything for Newton Farm when I was looking for places online. Is it easy to find and fairly accessible?

Yep its not the best. I tend to avoid it because I dont like sitting in the town while fishing anyway.
To get to newton farm, head toward auchenlarie holiday park, just before you get there you will see a farm on the left with the loch just to the right of the farmhouses. If you stop in at one of the houses they should let you on no problem. Maybe charge you a few quid. Apart from the weed being a pain in the arse, its right beside the a75 so if you dont like traffic noise while fishing its probably not the best option [emoji1].
Another option is torrs loch just outside kirkcudbright near a place called mutehill. Definitely worth a try if youre over that way. Costs roughly the same as newton farm and you just ask at the farmhouse down the road for permission as far as I know. Hope you enjoy gatehouse too [emoji106].

Yep its not the best. I tend to avoid it because I dont like sitting in the town while fishing anyway.

To get to newton farm, head toward auchenlarie holiday park, just before you get there you will see a farm on the left with the loch just to the right of the farmhouses. If you stop in at one of the houses they should let you on no problem. Maybe charge you a few quid. Apart from the weed being a pain in the arse, its right beside the a75 so if you dont like traffic noise while fishing its probably not the best option [emoji1].

Another option is torrs loch just outside kirkcudbright near a place called mutehill. Definitely worth a try if youre over that way. Costs roughly the same as newton farm and you just ask at the farmhouse down the road for permission as far as I know. Hope you enjoy gatehouse too [emoji106].

Cheers for that [emoji106]

Thinking I’ll maybe give Stroan a bash a day, if the wife and bairn will let me!

I need to get a couple of bits and pieces of gear anyway so will probably pop into the fishing shop in Castle Douglas and see what their chats like and if they’ve any other small loch recommendations. Good wee fishing shop that, got a few things from there when I’ve been down fishing Loch Ken before.

• 5 weeks later...

Anybody on here know a good spot for pike on the Forth and Clyde Canal, ideally between Falkirk and no further than around Kilsyth? Tried just past Bonnybridge by the old restaurant at Allandale but just seems to land Perch.

Any tips for the Union Canal too? The basins at Linlithgow and Newbridge didn’t produce much last few times I’ve tried them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/09/2018 at 15:56, 8MileBU said:

Anybody on here know a good spot for pike on the Forth and Clyde Canal, ideally between Falkirk and no further than around Kilsyth? Tried just past Bonnybridge by the old restaurant at Allandale but just seems to land Perch.

Any tips for the Union Canal too? The basins at Linlithgow and Newbridge didn’t produce much last few times I’ve tried them.

If your willing to travel then kilbirnie Loch in Ayrshire bud

If your willing to travel then kilbirnie Loch in Ayrshire bud

Aye I do a bit travelling to go fishing as often as I can but I was more meaning somewhere fairly local I could just nip to after work for a couple of hours. Cheers though will keep that in mind for next time I’m down Ayrshire [emoji106]

• 9 months later...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCasgwMTZ_sU6HFRywJm3oYQ my fishing channel. From stranraer I was brought up fishing the rocks of the rhins of galloway. No every mark very well. Did some trout fishing as well. Then 20years ago moved to Glasgow. I am member of the LLAIA. fish for silver tourists oll over Scotland. Quite funny fishing the leven or clyde estuary when dumbarton are at home. The cheer goes up as I catch a 2lbs seatrout... maybe not.🤣⚽🎣

• 4 weeks later...

So decided to get into it again and went to Loch Doon down near Dalmellington it is an amazing venue for me always catch well but nothing big. Went overnight and caught 26 with the biggest only around the pound mark but I prefer that to catching 1/2 3 pound trout in stocked waters in a session. 

Being from Airdrie there’s loads of stocked waters with 10 miles but I got a licence to do the canal fishing again. It’s £6 a year and I know not a lot of people bother getting it but the canals are gems to fish at times and if people stopped taking fish out them we would have some fantastic fishing on our hands. I do a bit of pike fishing on the canals I’m not much of a coarse angler but there are still some decent pike in the canals and when that float sail away  its still always a buzz incase it’s that big one. Wouldn’t ever tell anyone where and how to do it but I’m 4 foot of water I’ve seen some surprisingly huge fish and although a novice I get results. If anyone wants to try it trust me the canals do have fish but please make sure they go back fit and healthy. 

Went for a wee two day session and had a fantastic time with these beauts. 

1456CB3B-0A22-42DD-A5FC-BE7AD2492A6F.jpeg

BF5433A8-351E-4175-B9C8-84DA722B1B93.png

Edited by diamond_for_life

• 10 months later...
On 09/08/2019 at 11:39, diamond_for_life said:

5521915E-FD50-4BF5-B79D-485B57AA2E41.jpeg

78B90FCE-BB18-449D-BF1A-C54767F0A23B.jpeg

Only just seen these posts nearly a year later but those are some nice pike. How heavy? About 10lb? Shame you’ll not share how you caught them! Where, fair enough, but not sharing the method is tighter than no buying a round 😄