Worried your team’ll be shit?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only close season I haven't been all that worried about us being shit was last summer.  That worked out well.

This time, it's more a case of curious to see how we do, and worried that we'll leave too many signings till the very last minute. Not having a midfield is certainly a concern.

Not having a midfield is certainly a concern.

Preferable to having a midfield with Martin Woods in it tbh.

I’m pretty worried we’ll be a bit shit, at least to start with. I think we’ll likely end up with a decent enough group of players who’ve been thrown together with too little time to be a functioning team, start horrifically and then become alright and come about 6th in the end.

11 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I’m pretty worried we’ll be a bit shit, at least to start with. I think we’ll likely end up with a decent enough group of players who’ve been thrown together with too little time to be a functioning team, start horrifically and then become alright and come about 6th in the end.

Or you could end up with successive relegations. That could never happen though, could it?

17 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

How can you not miss his awful, awful set piece delivery?

On 24/06/2018 at 01:09, Thistle_do_nicely said:

I would hazard a guess that we'll have added at least one fullback + a forward by the end of this month.

On 24/06/2018 at 10:06, Nightmare said:

Tl;dr summary of the post above: yes, we are worried.

I don’t think we’ll have a shit the bed/late recovery season like St Mirren and Falkirk have had in the last two years, but I think we’re likely to be totally out of the playoff picture. A boring 6th place finish.

...getting there a bit now, yep. Nearly into July and the squad is still threadbare.

Surely, surely going to complete 2 or 3 deals over the next few days. We still need more than that but we're running out of time to get people in and involved in pre-season.

Without getting madly carried away, which has been good fun on the falkirk thread over the last month I think we are actually in a pretty good position at the moment.

We have completed most of our recruitment nice and early with basically every new signing brought in before pre-season so i think with all the training and games before the league starts we should be a pretty well drilled unit with good understanding among the players.

As most of the players are unknown to me and most of our fans they might turn out to be rubbish but at least it's a bit exciting and we have just got to trust hartley and the scouting team have got it right in the majority of cases and that the guys he has brought in can do a job alongside the ones he has kept. 

...getting there a bit now, yep. Nearly into July and the squad is still threadbare.
Surely, surely going to complete 2 or 3 deals over the next few days. We still need more than that but we're running out of time to get people in and involved in pre-season.

Totally agree. With July upon us now and preseason firmly underway we need 4-5 more bodies or it’ll be another slow start to the season for us in Maryhill. A couple of keepers and a couple of outfield players isn’t going to cut it.

We know more are coming but getting team to bond and work well together early will be key.

We really could be doing with a couple of strikers. AJ is working on it but that must be a coupe of weeks of preseason now. We've finished the last two seasons really well and I'm sure much of it is to do with the work out fitness coach does at this time of year to prepare the players. We get very few niggly injuries so tend to have a settled team when others are chopping and changing. 

2 hours ago, Snafu said:

That's both Falkirk and Caley Thistle almost completed recruiting already, plenty of time for any new faces to get used to their team mates. I'll not be surprised if both clubs make strong starts.

Both County and Partick fans should be worried, both clubs going down the same route as we did last season. Both clubs will be still signing key players as the league season gets underway.

We're pretty much done too actually. Back up keeper and a reserve striker all that we are going to add now. 

1 hour ago, CountyFan said:

We're pretty much done too actually. Back up keeper and a reserve striker all that we are going to add now. 

Yeah, not sure why County were included there, as your squad looks pretty deep already.

Of the teams who will be aiming for playoffs or better, Thistle and Dunfermline look very short in numbers compared to the others. Based purely on a first choice 11 we’re in alright shape, but beyond that we’ve got nothing.

We've signed enough players for a genuine starting 11. Whether any of them will be any good is another thing. Time will tell us soon enough. Have to trust Hartley and co until then. 

I'll tell you one thing though, if it goes tits up, it'll be the sexiest squad ever relegated outside of Italy. 

Starting to worry a bit now - 13 days until the first competitive game and we've got 8 outfield players who have played a senior game before and aren't on the transfer list, and from social media reports, 2 of those 3 transfer listed haven't played any of the closed door games. Plus, it's thistle, so approx 30% of the 8 will be injured. 

I'm sure we'll pick up a couple of bodies between now and a week on Saturday, and a couple more before the league starts, but at the moment it's not looking like a flying start is on the cards. 

On 6/29/2018 at 12:31, CountyFan said:

We aren't adding another keeper. Maybe a striker and that'll be us. We're using a squad of 22 this year according to the radio last week. We already have that. If we sign a new striker, expect someone to go out on loan.

On 28/06/2018 at 22:06, Thistle_do_nicely said:

image.png.be65d09de9a26989c561034992afcf6e.png

image.thumb.png.f4d4b45f0d7c43139ba2c658510d382a.png

image.png.c788134f09697eb7d6a1af9c46fac98c.png

1529845701998.gif.f7e585d9f45bdb94f434a4a0760479a4.gif

I'm assuming this means Penrice is seen as a left back, then.

Still looking very low in depth at the back but assuming it's a one in, one out for Storey we're almost there.

Feeling a bit more optimistic that we can compete. Extremely good news about Thistle Weir too, theoretically allows us to play with the budgets a bit and alleviates some of the headaches we may have had about cutting youth spending to make up for the shortfall in top flight £££.

10 hours ago, IainMorton said:

Morton team starting to take shape nicely. All we need is a decent right back and back up for that position and we are sorted.

Strikers and wingers?

Archived