Retirement

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Piracy said:

Finances isn't the issue, or rather won't be, but filling in time would be the issue.

I'm a worker, always have been. Like a bit of graft but older I get the more I like the idea of getting up and deciding what to do. I'd likely get involved in charity work of some sort.

If you're the kind of person who needs or wants to be occupied then its definitely something you need to consider. A mate who retired about the same time as me (same age) sort of 'tagged along' with me doing hee haw but it really didn't suit him, lasted a year and got a job that he constantly moans about.  He doesn't 'need' the money although has got used to having it. 

As long as you're happy with your retirement then its all good. :)

Finances isn't the issue, or rather won't be, but filling in time would be the issue.
I'm a worker, always have been. Like a bit of graft but older I get the more I like the idea of getting up and deciding what to do. I'd likely get involved in charity work of some sort.
Get a job that earns enough money to give me the chance of retirement & then the we get the best of both worlds [emoji39][emoji16][emoji8]

You have to be ready for retirement, not just financially but mentally too. "Filling time" isn't a long term activity that will keep you occupied. It's not just about doing the things you enjoy, there has to be an element of  maintaining the mental and physical challenge to your life otherwise both will start to degenerate.

I'm semi retired these days although I still work 20-25 hours a week part time. This has been fundamental in my recovery from my recent illness and operation, which in many ways portrays similar aspects of retirement.

5 hours ago, sjc said:

You have to be ready for retirement, not just financially but mentally too. "Filling time" isn't a long term activity that will keep you occupied. It's not just about doing the things you enjoy, there has to be an element of  maintaining the mental and physical challenge to your life otherwise both will start to degenerate.

I'm semi retired these days although I still work 20-25 hours a week part time. This has been fundamental in my recovery from my recent illness and operation, which in many ways portrays similar aspects of retirement.

Up to a point I agree with you, but if you have enough money then you should be able to fill your time with things you enjoy doing.  I gave it  a go at age 50 here in the Philippines, but I just didn't have enough money to fully enjoy, then Brexit came along and screwed the exchange-rate so working again became a necessity.  I planned on doing only 20 hours or so but am now doing 75!

3 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Up to a point I agree with you, but if you have enough money then you should be able to fill your time with things you enjoy doing.  I gave it  a go at age 50 here in the Philippines, but I just didn't have enough money to fully enjoy, then Brexit came along and screwed the exchange-rate so working again became a necessity.  I planned on doing only 20 hours or so but am now doing 75!

I'm lucky in that sense as my wife has a well paid full time job.

<<<kept man! ;) 

9 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Easily one of the most expensive places I’ve been. Amazing place though.

I’d go back just for the zoo.

Is it buffet or a la carte?

1 minute ago, chomp my root said:

I'm a 'trophy husband' too, she keeps me around as eye candy.  :D

Its a good job I'm pretty.

:lol: She's done alright out of me to be fair. 20+ years of my hard work before we met means she's inherited a couple of properties back in the UK.

26 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Have you gone already? :P

Not yet thankfully! I wasn't sure of the correct wording TBH...........she keeps telling me I've got another 50 years to spend with her. There's murderers that don't get sentences like that!

6 minutes ago, sjc said:

Not yet thankfully! I wasn't sure of the correct wording TBH...........she keeps telling me I've got another 50 years to spend with her. There's murderers that don't get sentences like that!

I was gently pulling your leg for using "inherited" instead of "will inherit" SJC :) 

3 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I was gently pulling your leg for using "inherited" instead of "will inherit" SJC :) 

That's OK, just don't pull it too hard.......last thing I need is another ailment! :P 

1 hour ago, chomp my root said:

I'm a 'trophy husband' too, she keeps me around as eye candy.  :D

Its a good job I'm pretty.

Not often you see a Dee posting about trophies.

15 hours ago, NJ2 said:

£20/30 a meal and stuff

Aye, that's your main course! Singapore is the most expensive place i've ever been, but also the first place i'd live if I could afford to. My dad lived there for 4 years, then decided to move over the border into Malaysia and drive...cut his outgoings by about 75%! Goes through passports like you wouldn't believe though.

5 hours ago, sjc said:

:lol: She's done alright out of me to be fair. 20+ years of my hard work before we met means she's inherited a couple of properties back in the UK.

She’ll need to dredge them off the bottom of the canal first.

Archived