Football League 2018/19 season

3 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

Am I wrong? Why on earth should a player put themselves in harm's way? That's exactly what they do if they don't defend themselves. And there is exactly why they should.

In Holland a few years ago, something similar happened. An Ajax fan ran onto the pitch and hit the AZ goalkeeper. The keeper lost it and battered the fan. The keeper was sent off.

The player might look like a fanny by not fighting back but this is a derby game. If a Villa player had leathered the Birmingham fan, got sent off, and then Birmingham end up winning 1-0, I can't imagine Villa fans looking favourably on their player having a lack of discipline.

Just now, Allan Jacobsen said:

In Holland a few years ago, something similar happened. An Ajax fan ran onto the pitch and hit the AZ goalkeeper. The keeper lost it and battered the fan. The keeper was sent off.

The player might look like a fanny by not fighting back but this is a derby game. If a Villa player had leathered the Birmingham fan, got sent off, and then Birmingham end up winning 1-0, I can't imagine Villa fans looking favourably on their player having a lack of discipline.

So they should put the result ahead of their own safety? Any fan who has a problem with it... well, that'd be their problem. Not the player's.

48 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

This is why I said Tav should have decked that guy instead of showing restraint. To give benefit of the doubt is really dangerous. First player who clocks a fan running on should be sparking the c**t, whatever their intent might be.

If history has shown us anything, it's that reacting to violence with violence is the best course of action, and definitely doesn't lead to things escalating. 

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If history has shown us anything, it's that reacting to violence with violence is the best course of action, and definitely doesn't lead to things escalating. 

It also shows us that if you don't fight back, those attacking you will suddenly stop, apologize and leave you alone.