VAR

Dee Man

I've rather enjoyed VAR's addition to the world cup. It's massively helped referees get decisions correct by allowing them to review incidents. I read that the stats for the ball in play hasn't reduced either which is what quite a few people would be annoyed with. People need to think of it as purely allowing the referee to review incidents, so there will always be a level of doubt depending on how the referee decides to apply the laws of the game, they'll still be decisions people think are wrong. The handball penalties have been soft, but if an extended arm has changed the path of the ball in the box, I reckon most people would be asking for a penalty no matter how much the player knows about it. Going forward they just need to fine tweak the number of officials needed in the review centre and increase communication with the fans to keep people informed as to what is actually happening.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having the match referee review VAR is the problem for me.

There should be a referee in the VAR room who can over rule the match referee when there is a a clear and obvious mistake by the match ref.

Would speed up the process as well.

There should be a referee in the VAR room who can over rule the match referee when there is a a clear and obvious mistake by the match ref.
This is a fair point. If its clear and obvious then why does the match ref need to view it.

Out of all the referrals made there has been a couple of bad decisions, and that's been down to bad calls by the refs. My biggest gripe is that they have reviewed a few penalty incidents where it was obvious the attacker had dived, but taken no action against them. Especially in the case of the Neymar call that was overturned.

Out of all the referrals made there has been a couple of bad decisions, and that's been down to bad calls by the refs. My biggest gripe is that they have reviewed a few penalty incidents where it was obvious the attacker had dived, but taken no action against them. Especially in the case of the Neymar call that was overturned.
Totally agree. My feeling is that diving is worse in this comp rather than getting better..

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Wha's in cherge here?

Why bother with referees or assistants in big games then?

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Wha's in cherge here?

Why bother with referees or assistants in big games then?

In all seriousness, I'd love that.  Let's referee everything with VAR, and no referee on the pitch.  If there's an infringement, send on the Mountain from Game of Thrones to dish out whatever punishment is seen fit and then have him stomp off again.  

48 minutes ago, ex-german exile said:

Also, after the farce of added time last night in the Iran Portugal match I think it's time to consider stopping the click for VAR referrals

I wondered what that noise was when the ref was watching the telly...

download.gif

Nice to see a ref sticking to his guns tonight in the Argentina game when the VAR guys referred him to the monitor for a possible Nigerian penalty. Never a pen and he only had a quick look to confirm what he already knew.

Out of curiosity is there a reason why time gets added on at the end for stoppages instead of the ref just pausing his watch until play restarts?

3 hours ago, nsr said:

Out of curiosity is there a reason why time gets added on at the end for stoppages instead of the ref just pausing his watch until play restarts?

I'm not sure that football has discovered how a stopwatch works yet. ALSO why is every half of football rounded to the nearest minute??? I mean, the NBA and NHL work in tenths of a second as time ticks away. The NFL will regularly add one second to the game clock. And in football we just randomly pick a minute to end the game.

I like VAR. It's wonderfully chaotic although players yapping away to the ref whilst he tries to listen to his earpiece irritates me no end. I'd send them off just for interrupting my conversation, twats. So here's my slight amendments to make it better:

• Stop the clock during reviews.
  • Give teams challenges to instigate reviews. Two challenges per game. If you're unsuccessful you lose a substitution (there needs to be a penalty for randomly reviewing rubbish). And they can be instigated by any player on the team so if a player challenges a decision to the ref it automatically counts as a request to review it.

Yeah I was meaning time added on is always a round number which is amazingly inaccurate, which only aids time wasting. And also that there are plenty of occasions the added time is wrong, it's as if it's just a guess. Every other sport is very careful about this whereas football has yet to discover a stopwatch.

Archived