Various club name issues

mcruic

4 hours ago, ASD.LRFC1889 said:

Don’t think they’ve been New Jersey for years are they not Brooklyn Nets now?

Yep, your right mate.  Bought a reduced hat of theirs when I was in NY and it was baltic.  Had no idea that they'd moved.

Sporting Kansas City of the MLS play in Kansas City Kansas.  Kansas City Chiefs of the NFL play in Kansas City Missouri.  Sporting did play in the Chief's Arrowhead stadium before they built their own stadium.

21 hours ago, Stag Nation said:

The club's names date from a time when Nottingham city was indeed within Nottinghamshire. Surely we don't expect clubs to be renamed with every  daft local government reorganisation?

On that note, Swansea Town became Swansea City in 1969 when Swansea became a city.

Good thread. Slightly off topic as it involves the naming of a Senior team but the story of how Stirling Albion got their name is interesting (even if some of it is shrouded in myth).

Albion were formed after the second World War as the town's previous team, King's Park had to fold due to one of only two German bombs to fall on Stirling hit and destroyed their ground.

After the war a local coal businessman, Thomas Fergusson, purchased Anfield estate and built a new park for a new club he was forming. The legend has it that two of his Albion coal trucks were reversed together to form a rudimentary grandstand giving birth to the Albion name. Apparently though the last bit is myth and in fact Albion comes from the ancient name of Britain which held meaning for the founder.

Edusport - where would you say they came from? 
They originally played out of Ravenscraig in Motherwell and the Palace Sports Ground in Hamilton as players recieved English education at New College Lanarkshire. iirc they have long term plans to return to Motherwell with a development in Strathclyde Country Park.

1 hour ago, Marten said:

Where do Edusport actually train? I can't imagine them going down to Annan for every training session, surely that will be in/near Motherwell?

I believe that they have used Lesser Hampden for some training sessions, but they are a nomadic team with no real connection with any community 

7 hours ago, Black Dug said:

Apparently though the last bit is myth and in fact Albion comes from the ancient name of Britain which held meaning for the founder.

And an ancient name forScotland.

Gaelic -Alba.

2 hours ago, Khufu2 said:

And an ancient name forScotland.

Gaelic -Alba.

Albion/Albany/Alba (meaning "white" as in albino) all refer back to the white cliffs of Dover, the only bit of Britain visible from the continent,

Rather strange that in Gaelic it has come to be the name used for Scotland,

38 minutes ago, archieb said:

Albion/Albany/Alba (meaning "white" as in albino) all refer back to the white cliffs of Dover, the only bit of Britain visible from the continent,

The name Scotland itself is a strange one - the Scotti were an Irish tribe who settled in Argyll in the dark ages.

No stranger than England I suppose, which is named after the Angle tribe who arrived from Schleswig-Holstein around the German/Danish border a century or two later...there's still an a region called Angeln around where they left from which is pretty much the same word.

6 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:
7 hours ago, PRS said:
Edusport - where would you say they came from? 

They originally played out of Ravenscraig in Motherwell and the Palace Sports Ground in Hamilton as players recieved English education at New College Lanarkshire. iirc they have long term plans to return to Motherwell with a development in Strathclyde Country Park.

There's already the Bothwellhaugh facility there - I wonder if it could be upgraded in some way?

1 hour ago, archieb said:

I did read up about this some time ago.

It's nothing to do with southern England at all.

It's either from the old word for white as you say, referring to snowy landscapes, or REALLY old, i.e. from a pre Indo-European root alb- meaning hilly. An example is "The Alps" and "Albania".

2 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I did read up about this some time ago.

It's nothing to do with southern England at all.

It's either from the old word for white as you say, referring to snowy landscapes, or REALLY old, i.e. from a pre Indo-European root alb- meaning hilly. An example is "The Alps" and "Albania".

The Latinised version of "Alba" (Gaelic for Scotland) is Albania.  Apparently, the word Lebanon is also related to the same root as Albania and Alba.

Never did I imagine a discussion on junior football names would lead here...

On the subject of the 2 dubious Athletics:

Royal Albert badge says simply "RAFC" which suggests no Athletic

royal-albert.jpg

Bonnyrigg Rose has no Athletic on their badge either, but seems to call itself Athletic on the website.

GSwotkCnQl2W4LG6Q5xI_Logo.png&w=144&h=14

But their youth team has Bonnyrigg Rose 'A' on their badge:

bonnyriggroseathletica-thumb-181424.jpg

Edited by mcruic

8 hours ago, mcruic said:

The Latinised version of "Alba" (Gaelic for Scotland) is Albania.  Apparently, the word Lebanon is also related to the same root as Albania and Alba.

Never did I imagine a discussion on junior football names would lead here...

On the subject of the 2 dubious Athletics:

Royal Albert badge says simply "RAFC" which suggests no Athletic

royal-albert.jpg

Bonnyrigg Rose has no Athletic on their badge either, but seems to call itself Athletic on the website.

GSwotkCnQl2W4LG6Q5xI_Logo.png&w=144&h=14

But their youth team has Bonnyrigg Rose 'A' on their badge:

bonnyriggroseathletica-thumb-181424.jpg

Not sure how long Bonnyrigg Rose 'A' and Bonnyrigg Rose FC have been under the same roof - there was a time when they were separate entities at youth level - BRFC had a team in the 21s wearing the red and white hoops while 'A' also had a side, playing in maroon and amber. The potted history on 'A's site seems to stop before the coming together. My guess is the 'A' suffix was to distinguish them as Juveniles from the pre-existing  (by 50 years) Juniors.

https://www.clubwebsite.co.uk/bonnyriggroseathletica/50810/History

I've found the table from 15-16 showing them both in there...

image.png.49ffd2e1cec5cddddbb97f1b3961a6ef.png

Edited by cmontheloknow

On ‎22‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 10:17, glensmad said:

Craigmark Burntonians is an interesting one. I understand they are named after two miners rows (Craigmark and Burnton) just outside Dalmellington. The miners formed a football team between the two miners rows (hence "Craigmark Burntonians"), but as there was no pitch in Craigmark or Burnton they played on the nearest pitch in Dalmellington. When the pit closed, the football team continued to play in the town of Dalmellington.

Craigmark to my knowledge are the only team to have a player  red carded and had eleven players still on the park. It is in their history book. I was at the game and could not believe how the ref handled the situation