Various club name issues

mcruic

• Glentanar: I always assumed they were named after the Glentanar Bar in Aberdeen - they used to play in the AAFA before turning Junior
  • Hermes:  famously named after a typewriter advert (they were the old boys' club from Robert Gordon's School).
  • Colony Park: play on the Colony Park in Inverurie
  • Sunnybank: another former pupils club that no longer have any relation to the school (or area of Aberdeen!)
  • Deveronside: Macduff/Banff are on the River Deveron
  • Islavale: River Isla runs through Keith (Strathisla is the Malt) - in fact it splits Keith into Keith and Fife Keith: Islavale are the Fife Keith side, whereas Keith are the Keith team. Or something like that anyway
Edited by Cyclizine

Interesting, wasn't sure of the link between St. Rollox and St.  Roch's.
And just to confuse things St. Rollox and St. Roch's primary schools used to both be in Royston Road. St. Rollox was a non-dom school and was later changed to Royston Primary.

Our full title is Petershill Football and Athletic Club. Been a long time since we held a sports day though.

St Rollox was a railway yard, my uncle worked there in the 40-60's
I don't know if there is a railway connection.
There was a St Rollox chemical works before the railway yard was there. St Rollox church is across the road as you enter into Sighthill.

23 hours ago, peasy23 said:
On 21 June 2018 at 17:07, Zen Archer said:

There was a St Rollox chemical works before the railway yard was there. St Rollox church is across the road as you enter into Sighthill.

My great uncle was the MP for St Rollox back in days of yore.

Going slightly off-topic here but the Scottish Seniors have or had a fair few teams whose names don't let you know where they play.  Celtic, Rangers, Albion Rovers, Queen of the South, Queen's Park, Third Lanark, East Fife, Hibernian, Heart of Midlothian, St Johnstone, St Mirren, Morton, Raith Rovers and Clyde would all be difficult to find on a map.  OK, East Fife are in, well, East Fife but that's still quite approximate and I remember that the Shire were always called East Stirling on the telly but aren't in Stirling and Hearts don't technically play in Midlothian.  Of course, Morton are now Greenock Morton and Celtic and Rangers are referred to with the prefix Glasgow but those are all later additions.  Even in the early days of the English league most teams could be placed quite easily, even if some, like Everton, are a part of a town rather than the town itself.  Scotland seems quite unique in having so many non-geographical names

Oh, and you won't find Partick Thistle in Partick.

1 minute ago, th1stleandr0se said:

Going slightly off-topic here but the Scottish Seniors have or had a fair few teams whose names don't let you know where they play.  Celtic, Rangers, Albion Rovers, Queen of the South, Queen's Park, Third Lanark, East Fife, Hibernian, Heart of Midlothian, St Johnstone, St Mirren, Morton, Raith Rovers and Clyde would all be difficult to find on a map.  OK, East Fife are in, well, East Fife but that's still quite approximate and I remember that the Shire were always called East Stirling on the telly but aren't in Stirling and Hearts don't technically play in Midlothian.  Of course, Morton are now Greenock Morton and Celtic and Rangers are referred to with the prefix Glasgow but those are all later additions.  Even in the early days of the English league most teams could be placed quite easily, even if some, like Everton, are a part of a town rather than the town itself.  Scotland seems quite unique in having so many non-geographical names

A year or so before Raith Rovers were officially formed in 1883 there was a team of the same name which went defunct, hailing from Cowdenbeath.

23 hours ago, th1stleandr0se said:

Port Vale, Arsenal?

3 hours ago, peasy23 said:
5 hours ago, Zen Archer said:

My great-granddad James McCulloch was manager of the St Rollox Chemical Works at the end of the 19th & start of the 20th century. His son, also James, was his assistant and took over when he retired. Famously it once had the tallest chimney in Europe (possibly in the world?).

bhbNCpI.jpg

Sadly, neither of them had any interest in football afaik.

Edited by archieb

5 hours ago, Zen Archer said:

No connection but there will be buses layed on.

Edited by happy

IMG_0895.jpg

We have lots of people turning up in Stranraer thinking that must be where Queen of the South play

Many thanks for all the contributions, suggestions, etc. I have now re-worked the list taking a much wider view of clubs named after their locations following your feedback. Here it is.

Clubs simply named, originally at least, after their location be it a city, town, village, area, church, bar, geographical feature, i.e. named after its location and without a suffix  -  (45)

Clubs named without any reference at all it to its original or current location - (2)    They are Hermes and Royal Albert Athletic.

Clubs with a city, town, village or area and then a suffix  - (84). That suffix may be a second, local geographical reference, e.g. North End.  They are:

United                (15)

Thistle                (12)

Juniors               (11)

Victoria                (6)

Athletic                (4)

Rovers                  (4)

Rangers               (3)

Albert                   (1)

Albion                   (1)

Bon Accord         (1)

Boswell Thistle   (1)

Burgh                   (1)

Burntonians       (1)

Glencairn            (1)

Harp                     (1)

Hearts                  (1)

Hibs                      (1)

Ladeside              (1)

Meadow XI         (1)

North End            (1)

Panmure              (1)

Parkvale               (1)

Perthshire            (1)

Rob Roy               (1)

Roselea                (1)

Royal                    (1)

St Ninian              (1)

St Ternan             (1)

Star Hearts          (1)

Talbot                  (1)

University            (1)

Violet                   (1)

Wanderers          (1)

Welfare               (1)

West End             (1)

YMCA                   (1)

12 hours ago, th1stleandr0se said:

Did Perth not used to be known as Saint johns town hence the name?

Craigmark Burntonians is an interesting one. I understand they are named after two miners rows (Craigmark and Burnton) just outside Dalmellington. The miners formed a football team between the two miners rows (hence "Craigmark Burntonians"), but as there was no pitch in Craigmark or Burnton they played on the nearest pitch in Dalmellington. When the pit closed, the football team continued to play in the town of Dalmellington.

12 hours ago, th1stleandr0se said:

I honestly don't know anyone in Scotland who refers to the ugly sisters as "Glasgow....."