Kilwinning Rangers 18/19

Scotlad

11 hours ago, glenmuir said:

Are  Buffs no a lesser team

I wouldnt say so, enjoyed watching Kilwinning yesterday, and a good bunch of travelling fans

We are just up from D1 last year so was always going to be a very tough test against a team who challenged at the top end of the Premier for a large part of last season

We could (and maybe should) have taken a point, but no real complaints in the narrow defeat

Looking forward to going to Kilwinning later in the season when hopefully both attacks are a bit sharper

Thought we had a bit of stage fright in the first half, allowing the Buffs far too much space which they turned into plenty of chances. Some desperate defending at times before Boylan scored from an angle that was disappointing from our point of view. We then get a penalty, Buffs fans were miffed, but Ross Barclay clearly won the header before being clattered by the centre half, and it would have been a free kick anywhere else on the pitch. Had no effect on the game though, as Jason Hardie's spot kick was a shocker.

We were better after the break, but still didn't make Adam Strain work enough. Fleming was very lucky onky to get yellow for a shocker of a tackle on Hall, and late on sub Daniel Fiado forced Strain into a worldy of a save with a shot that was curling into the top corner.

Impressed by Buffs tbf, think they will be there or thereabouts again this season.

8 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Thought we had a bit of stage fright in the first half, allowing the Buffs far too much space which they turned into plenty of chances. Some desperate defending at times before Boylan scored from an angle that was disappointing from our point of view. We then get a penalty, Buffs fans were miffed, but Ross Barclay clearly won the header before being clattered by the centre half, and it would have been a free kick anywhere else on the pitch. Had no effect on the game though, as Jason Hardie's spot kick was a shocker.

We were better after the break, but still didn't make Adam Strain work enough. Fleming was very lucky onky to get yellow for a shocker of a tackle on Hall, and late on sub Daniel Fiado forced Strain into a worldy of a save with a shot that was curling into the top corner.

Impressed by Buffs tbf, think they will be there or thereabouts again this season.

Fair assessment, apart from the pen and Fleming's booking!

As you say, Petershill did start slowly. Possibly deserved a point at the end of it, but Buffs should have had the game over by half time.

Good luck for the season ahead.

It’s been a couple of years since I have been at the ground. I know that certain improvements have been made: do you have a social club or bar at the ground now? (I’ll be there on Wednesday for the game against Renfrew.)

It’s been a couple of years since I have been at the ground. I know that certain improvements have been made: do you have a social club or bar at the ground now? (I’ll be there on Wednesday for the game against Renfrew.)

Yes there's a social club,ground still needs a lot of improvements,but that's 1 thing that's always working [emoji23][emoji23]

1 hour ago, buffy1899 said:

Yes there's a social club,ground still needs a lot of improvements,but that's 1 thing that's always working emoji23.pngemoji23.png

Excellent! Thanks. I’ll be certain to take advantage of it on Wednesday!

54 minutes ago, Scotlad said:

Kilwinning Rangers 2 Renfrew 1

Buffs were by far the better side in the first half and probably should have been more than 1 up,

we were much improved after the break,

got a deserved equaliser, probably could/should have won it late on,

I'm sure the irony wouldn't have been lost on either team had Craig Dallas showed the same composure as he did against Pollok!

Then you go straight up the park and grab the winner.

Lots of positives for us but still a defeat alas!

Very impressed with the setup and improvements at Abbey Park since we were last there.

Edited by Frew Fan 2001
missed something out!

10 hours ago, Frew Fan 2001 said:

Buffs were by far the better side in the first half and probably should have been more than 1 up,

we were much improved after the break,

got a deserved equaliser, probably could/should have won it late on,

I'm sure the irony wouldn't have been lost on either team had Craig Dallas showed the same composure as he did against Pollok!

Then you go straight up the park and grab the winner.

Lots of positives for us but still a defeat alas!

Very impressed with the setup and improvements at Abbey Park since we were last there.

Think Buffs just about shaded the game, we couldn't turn possession into clear cut changes, partially down to our own wastefulness, but also to Renfrew's organisation. Renfrew will surprise a few teams this season, some very useful players.

I see that the forthcoming fixture list poster has been displayed in pubs/business in the town today - last season's posters usually had spelling/grammar mistakes and the latest one continues the trend. The poster is headed "KILWINING RANGERS" - and the game on 8th Aug shows Klwinning Rangers - me & my mates had a wee competition last season where the first person to spot the mistake got a pint from the others. I've won this weeks competition so 3 free pints for me at teatime!!! - ya beauty

3 hours ago, ChinaX said:

I see that the forthcoming fixture list poster has been displayed in pubs/business in the town today - last season's posters usually had spelling/grammar mistakes and the latest one continues the trend. The poster is headed "KILWINING RANGERS" - and the game on 8th Aug shows Klwinning Rangers - me & my mates had a wee competition last season where the first person to spot the mistake got a pint from the others. I've won this weeks competition so 3 free pints for me at teatime!!! - ya beauty

Wow

7 hours ago, ChinaX said:

You missed another typo - Barfields missing an r.

8 hours ago, Carilly said:

What’s likely to be team selection for Largs game?

Don't have any inside knowledge but a fair guess would suggest the rotation of the squad to keep them all interested.  Nobody wants to be subbed or benched but Buffs strength is the depth of talent available and can start with one set of players and add extra firepower after the first hour.  Fleming will get part of a game as he is still short of full match fitness and perhaps be played further forward but he just looks spare when too near the back and compromises Pettigrew by duplication.  At the last game Brian Boylan did his usual high speed closing down of defenders and goalkeeper but because he is so far forward he is often then caught offside when retreating, one of the hazards of his style of play but it limits his goalscoring chances. Nisbet and McKenzie are super busy and pacy and offer goalscoring capabilities but Carlo is unique because he attracts a cluster of defenders around him but still manages  to skip in a goal like his last minute game winner.   

Don't want to sound negative at all so shouldn't mention the frailties, but they are there.  2 in 2 out would give you the dream team but they are probably on the limit of the current budget.

One thing that is blindingly obvious to all is the need for composure when shooting, most of which is so wide of the mark or of the  'my granny can kick it harder than that' that it incurs actual bad words being cursed by otherwise fanatical supporters.

Check last week's starting 11 and swap around a bit, Whyte and Curragh might get a start and the rest could come on anytime.

22 hours ago, ChinaX said:

You wouldn’t  read the posters otherwise, last season we noticed posters with typos got talked about and fixed posters didn’t, strange, heard Alan McGhee talk about it once in music posters, misspelling the venue name alway got it talked about.

Edited by parkcircus

40 minutes ago, Marlowe said:

Don't have any inside knowledge but a fair guess would suggest the rotation of the squad to keep them all interested.  Nobody wants to be subbed or benched but Buffs strength is the depth of talent available and can start with one set of players and add extra firepower after the first hour.  Fleming will get part of a game as he is still short of full match fitness and perhaps be played further forward but he just looks spare when too near the back and compromises Pettigrew by duplication.  At the last game Brian Boylan did his usual high speed closing down of defenders and goalkeeper but because he is so far forward he is often then caught offside when retreating, one of the hazards of his style of play but it limits his goalscoring chances. Nisbet and McKenzie are super busy and pacy and offer goalscoring capabilities but Carlo is unique because he attracts a cluster of defenders around him but still manages  to skip in a goal like his last minute game winner.   

Don't want to sound negative at all so shouldn't mention the frailties, but they are there.  2 in 2 out would give you the dream team but they are probably on the limit of the current budget.

One thing that is blindingly obvious to all is the need for composure when shooting, most of which is so wide of the mark or of the  'my granny can kick it harder than that' that it incurs actual bad words being cursed by otherwise fanatical supporters.

Check last week's starting 11 and swap around a bit, Whyte and Curragh might get a start and the rest could come on anytime.

Our squad is full of quality, but lacks a wee bit of depth. I know money is tight, but we need another 2 or 3 bodies, one of them should be a goalkeeper.

Lots to be positive about, a couple of tweaks and we'll not be far away this season.

On 8/11/2018 at 11:34, funky monkey said:

Our squad is full of quality, but lacks a wee bit of depth. I know money is tight, but we need another 2 or 3 bodies, one of them should be a goalkeeper.

Lots to be positive about, a couple of tweaks and we'll not be far away this season.

After witnessing Adam Strain's need for onfield attention it's clear we need a backup keeper, maybe an older guy who doesn't mind being on the bench a lot because in the past the young second string guys rarely got a chance.  With the departure of Joe to 'Anger Management Classes' and 'Painting as Calming Therapy Course' we have ready made right backs taking over, however, the left rear is still problematic, too easily passed, looks good going forward though.   Mick Wardrope has a tendency to stop moving and throwing his hands in the air in a pleading style as though he has been robbed, but he still gives 100% effort, though more quality is required to his passes.   Great result against Kilbirnie but more shooting practice required.

1 hour ago, Marlowe said:

After witnessing Adam Strain's need for onfield attention it's clear we need a backup keeper, maybe an older guy who doesn't mind being on the bench a lot because in the past the young second string guys rarely got a chance.  With the departure of Joe to 'Anger Management Classes' and 'Painting as Calming Therapy Course' we have ready made right backs taking over, however, the left rear is still problematic, too easily passed, looks good going forward though.   Mick Wardrope has a tendency to stop moving and throwing his hands in the air in a pleading style as though he has been robbed, but he still gives 100% effort, though more quality is required to his passes.   Great result against Kilbirnie but more shooting practice required.

Agreed. Adam seems to have an ongoing injury problem, we really need a back up.

Joe Coleman had a great season last year, he screwed the nut and it lead to better performances. Perhaps the presence of Latta provided a focus. He made a mistake on Saturday which cost us 2 points, fine with that, but his anger in apportioning blame to Adam was out of order. Not sure what has happened since, but hope that he calms down and comes back into the fold.

I thought Wardrop would kick on with Frye and Hanvey away. There's something missing from his game currently, he comes with a senior pedigree so that fans are entitled to expect a wee bit more quality fromhim than we are getting.

We played some great stuff for an hour last night against a good team. Plenty to be optimistic about. COYB

Agreed. Adam seems to have an ongoing injury problem, we really need a back up.
Joe Coleman had a great season last year, he screwed the nut and it lead to better performances. Perhaps the presence of Latta provided a focus. He made a mistake on Saturday which cost us 2 points, fine with that, but his anger in apportioning blame to Adam was out of order. Not sure what has happened since, but hope that he calms down and comes back into the fold.
I thought Wardrop would kick on with Frye and Hanvey away. There's something missing from his game currently, he comes with a senior pedigree so that fans are entitled to expect a wee bit more quality fromhim than we are getting.
We played some great stuff for an hour last night against a good team. Plenty to be optimistic about. COYB

Got 2 disagree with your opinion on wardrope,think the new position a bit more forward really suits him and he's bn 1 of our best players in the early games,including motm at petershill.