Do you like religion?

On 10/27/2018 at 10:09, Mr Pikey said:

Most of the ungodly acts committed in the last two thousand years have been done by men of god. Human beings are that arrogant they think there's a special place to go to when they die , they don't want to accept they're going in a hole in the ground to be eaten by worms.

Well, no.

Most ungodly acts have been done by people of all persuasions, for varying reasons. Some in the name of / prompted by one belief system or another, sure, whether religious, tribal, ideological, political, .... Others for survival,  expansion, science, ...

Religion at its core encompasses and ponders death as a natural cycle of life, so not sure WTF that second comment is about. If anything, the decline of Christianity in the UK/West has made us individually less well-equipped to handle issues surrounding mortality, and therefore issues surrounding life, meaning. See: rampant depression, directionless young adults still living with their parents at 30, low birth rates, militant atheism, consumerism, hedonism, etc. used to fill the void. 

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I appreciate that we can’t expect professional logical rigour from the amateur philosophy on this thread but surely you can do better than this pish

Oh God yeah, but as a short summary it suffices decently enough.

You could expand yourself, of course.

5 hours ago, banana said:

Religion at its core encompasses and ponders death as a natural cycle of life, so not sure WTF that second comment is about. If anything, the decline of Christianity in the UK/West has made us individually less well-equipped to handle issues surrounding mortality, and therefore issues surrounding life, meaning. See: rampant depression, directionless young adults still living with their parents at 30, low birth rates, militant atheism, consumerism, hedonism, etc. used to fill the void. 

What is better... a lie that draws a smile or a truth that draws a tear?

1 hour ago, Gordon EF said:

What is better... a lie that draws a smile or a truth that draws a tear?

Are you 100% sure that all religion is false? Bit of a bold statement, the best minds that have ever lived can't prove or disprove God/religion...yet P&B seem to have it all figured out.

27 minutes ago, stuartsmfc said:

Are you 100% sure that all religion is false? Bit of a bold statement, the best minds that have ever lived can't prove or disprove God/religion...yet P&B seem to have it all figured out.

Yes and now we’ve figured it out we can return to the real important issues.

Spoiler

It’s Lorne.

30 minutes ago, stuartsmfc said:

Are you 100% sure that I'm not Thor, God of Thunder?

1 hour ago, stuartsmfc said:

Given that we all know you can't be 100% sure of anything other than your own existence, then the only practical and rational way of looking at the world requires people to have a slightly lower bar for 'practical' certainty. Call it 99.99% sure. I'm 99.99% sure that all religion is false.

The same way that I'm 99.99% sure that if I jump in front of a car, it'll hit me rather than dematerialise out of existence then materialise on the other side of me. The same way that I'm 99.99% sure the old Japanese ghost that lives under my bed (that I just made up) doesn't actually exist.

The best minds that have ever lived wouldn't even try to prove or disprove that a God exists or a particular religion is real because they'd realise it's an utterly futile task. You can never prove or disprove the existence of something that doesn't exist or does exist but doesn't interact with the physical world or obey any of it's rules.

Even if 'God' appeared in front of you, told you mormonism was right all along and gave you a ride on the back of his flying giraffe, you couldn't be 100% sure it was real and that you weren't just having a severe mental breakdown.

Archived