Do you like religion?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another issue is this.  What disease kills more people than any other?  Malaria.
What causes Malaria?

According to religion, it is our sinful behaviour or something like that.
Has this answer been useful in curing Malaria?  Not really.

According to science, it is the Anopheles mosquito and the malaria parasite.
Has this answer been useful in curing Malaria?  Yes.

Similarly, there are religious people who refuse the polio vaccine, which stops it being eradicated.

31 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Another issue is this.  What disease kills more people than any other?  Malaria.
What causes Malaria?

Similarly, there are religious people who refuse the polio vaccine, which stops it being eradicated.

Could say the same about HIV/AIDS in Africa, condoms, and the Catholic church.

4 hours ago, coprolite said:

It's a very common misconception that adam and eve were the first people. 

God created man on the 6th day, then had a day off because it was sunday. Then he created Adam and Eve. Their children went among "the children of men", who were already kicking about. 

Adam and Eve were the first of God's people- it is the creation myth of the "people of the book", not of all people.

Wasn't she the result of vivisection/cloning?

Adam must have fucked himself at some stage.

What causes Malaria?

Maybe the mosquito only targets sinful people

4 hours ago, coprolite said:

It's a very common misconception that adam and eve were the first people. 

God created man on the 6th day, then had a day off because it was sunday. Then he created Adam and Eve. Their children went among "the children of men", who were already kicking about. 

Adam and Eve were the first of God's people- it is the creation myth of the "people of the book", not of all people.

It is a very common misconception to believe any of this pish.

I can understand stupid and/or uneducated and/or brainwashed people believing this bullshit; there’s no excuse for anyone else.

7 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Where in the Quran does it ask you to question that Muhammed was a peadophile? Or the shite about flying horses, meteorites, 40 virgins, dressing a certain way, praying 5 times a day in a certain direction, dictating things you can't eat and drink, having beards, denying women rights, having to visit a big stone, fasting, stoning, no interest in banking, halal, only using the right hand for eating and all the rest of the madly ludicrous bullshit that is either laughable nonsense or outright hateful?

Since you asked so nicely I'll point you in the direction of some watching material...first of all though why not look up some scientific evidence that fasting is great for your health, both physically and mentally.  Things you can't eat or drink...What like alcohol and pigs...both horrendous for you. Madly ludicrous bullshit right there my man.

There is 2 for you to enjoy. I'm not Muslim so they can explain better than I can. 

40 minutes ago, stuartsmfc said:

Since you asked so nicely I'll point you in the direction of some watching material...first of all though why not look up some scientific evidence that fasting is great for your health, both physically and mentally.  Things you can't eat or drink...What like alcohol and pigs...both horrendous for you. Madly ludicrous bullshit right there my man.

There is 2 for you to enjoy. I'm not Muslim so they can explain better than I can. 

Not watched the second one but the first was hateful propaganda dressed up to be nice.

The highlights were the guy saying equality is injustice and that equality is oppression. He also said women can't be socially responsible so have to be looked after by men. This is the Islamic social model he claimed. I'm sure women born in to such society get a choice on the matter.

Hateful bullshit. A horrendous pile of evil shite.

Also alcohol and pig meat aren't horrendous for you unless you have them in large quantities, much like anything else.

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

The highlights were the guy saying equality requires injustice and that equality requires oppression.

Haven't watched the video, but in a general sense that's accurate with my edits.

The road to 'equality' is drenched in blood, and you never arrive.

"The problem  of induction is a reason why science can never give you absolute results that never change."

Alternatively, one might have said:

"The power of science is that it never allows any answer to be absolute; but instead, looks for all possible ways to test it, to see if it needs to change."

It's exactly the different between "We know the answer in advance; what's the evidence that supports it?" and"Here's the evidence; what provisional conclusions can we draw from it?"

I quite like the guy who was speaking at that point, but he gets quite a few things "just wrong enough" to make obviously reasonable words appear to imply obviously incorrect conclusions. When he does it so often, there has to be a suspicion that it's deliberate: that it is advocacy, instead of a real attempt to interpret the data even-handedly. He talks a lot about Darwinism, using it as a slightly-strawish-man for the thing that he's actually wanting to put into doubt: he really means to cast some (fairly minor) aspersions in the direction of common descent, the inheritance of (not "acquired [except at one point]) characteristics"; and in the limit, evolution of species.

So let's get the main point out of the way. Evolution is a fact. It is observable today, and its actions over millions of years in the past are observable, and completely consistent cross multitudes of scientific disciplines. There is no better established fact than evolution, and personal incredulity doesn't get a vote.

Next, evolution is also a theory. The minute anyone tells you it is "just a theory", they are either lying (if they know what they are talking about) or are passing down and mutating a lie from someone who knew better. Very evolutionary sort of thing to do. The reason is that a scientific theory, to merit the term, has to be "a lot truer" than anything that any of us will ever encounter as an event in real life. It must agree with billions of observations, and not be contradicted by any single observation. The term "just a theory" conflates a scientific theory ("no one can really, quantitatively understand just how true this is" - as Feynman might put it) with an everyday theory, which is a completely different animal ("you pays yer money, you takes your choice"). The overloading of the word "theory" was originally  an intentional falsehood; now it has permeated to people who don't even know that it's completely dishonest. The words happen to have the same spelling and pronunciation, but the meanings are significantly different. Bait-and-switching of this sort is sometimes called "lying for god".

There's an awful lot that we don't know about the universe we live in; but it's more remarkable how much we have learned, and it only takes a sense of awe to allow oneself to accept the evidence instead of taking a closed-minded approach. The choice is between the actual wonders of the universe, and a shelf of books that hold a tiny collection of anecdotes that are slightly related to what we thought we knew about those wonders a few millennia ago.

On 27/10/2018 at 11:34, stuartsmfc said:

Bit of a stupid example tbh. Religion for the most part deals with fundamental questions that humans have asked since the beginning of time.  If you don't care why we are here and if there's a meaning of life then don't look any further. But if you do then religion can answer those questions for you. I'm not saying it's for everyone but it's naive to suggest that everyone who follows a religion is dumb and irrational. From people I know, they came to their faith pretty rationally tbh. 

Christianity deals with "how we got here" by saying God just made it all in a week and let Adam and Eve kick things off.  Religion gives people comfort, I get that and that's fine, but my 2 year old niece could come up with similarly inaccurate answers to such fundamental questions. 

On 27/10/2018 at 15:01, sugna said:

On the specific Olympians point: anyone professing actual belief in and devotion to those deities, in the UK, in the present day, would be almost universally considered to be insane.

“When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called a Religion.”

- Robert Pirsig

7 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

“When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called a Religion.”

- Robert Pirsig

Well no.

When one person suffers a delusion it's called being delusional about that thing, it doesn't mean they're insane.

When many suffer from the same delusion, it could be any number of things, such as groupthink (e.g. the religion example, any number of ideologies/tribalisms, the result of targeted propaganda/disinformation, etc.), general ignorance (which science has helped improve), mass hysteria, etc.

Archived