Do you like religion?

Just now, stuartsmfc said:

Bit of a stupid example tbh. Religion for the most part deals with fundamental questions that humans have asked since the beginning of time.  If you don't care why we are here and if there's a meaning of life then don't look any further. But if you do then religion can answer those questions for you. I'm not saying it's for everyone but it's naive to suggest that everyone who follows a religion is dumb and irrational. From people I know, they came to their faith pretty rationally tbh. 

I'd say it's more of a stupid conclusion to believe, without question, that the entirety of human development and existence is explained in a 1000+ year old book. 

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Miguel Sanchez said:

I'd say it's more of a stupid conclusion to believe, without question, that the entirety of human development and existence is explained in a 1000+ year old book. 

Well let's use the Quran as an example here. It tells you numerous times to question and try to prove it wrong. Over and over again. As I've said the people I know came to their conclusions rationally and by questioning for years. I'm not religious myself, I'm agnostic. But I'm not narrow minded enough to say "Oh that's alot of bullshit"

It would do you no harm to learn about what each religion actually believes in and teaches before saying it's all stupid.

3 minutes ago, stuartsmfc said:

Well let's use the Quran as an example here. It tells you numerous times to question and try to prove it wrong. Over and over again. As I've said the people I know came to their conclusions rationally and by questioning for years. I'm not religious myself, I'm agnostic. But I'm not narrow minded enough to say "Oh that's alot of bullshit"

It would do you no harm to learn about what each religion actually believes in and teaches before saying it's all stupid.

Next to no-one gets their religious beliefs from rationally questioning for years or whatever your made up anecdote is. Almost all people have the religion of their parents. It's why so few people with Muslim parents believe in the twelve Olympians. 

I've been to Rome twice on holiday.

The first time we visited the Scala Santa and there were busloads of Russian orthodox folks climbing the steps...... on their knees. Old folk, young folk. Bizarre.

The second time we were there with the kids and stopped to have a wee cake for lunch just outside our hotel. I sat right on the bottom step of the church next door and these two old ladie shouted at me :(

Religion is strange.

Our hotel was actually previously part of the church and was a converted monastery but nobody seems to mind that as it obviously sells booze etc.

In fact earlier that morning I'd been pumping the missus while the kids were visiting the WiFi zone....wonder what the old dearies would make of that!

11 minutes ago, stuartsmfc said:

Bit of a stupid example tbh. Religion for the most part deals with fundamental questions that humans have asked since the beginning of time.  If you don't care why we are here and if there's a meaning of life then don't look any further. But if you do then religion can answer those questions for you. I'm not saying it's for everyone but it's naive to suggest that everyone who follows a religion is dumb and irrational. From people I know, they came to their faith pretty rationally tbh. 

We're here as a successful result of millions of years of evolution and there's no intrinsic meaning to life except that which we create ourselves. What is the religious answer to those questions?

2 minutes ago, The OP said:

Next to no-one gets their religious beliefs from rationally questioning for years or whatever your made up anecdote is. Almost all people have the religion of their parents. It's why so few people with Muslim parents believe in the twelve Olympians. 

So you can't go on YouTube and see videos from lots of Muslim converts who have no Muslim background? I'd bet you'd find quite a few so that's not next to no one. If you want type in Hamza Tzortis - english/greek author with a masters in philosophy, yusha Evans - white American, EF dawah - white, ginger Welsh guy,  john fontain - white ginger from Manchester, aburraham green - English. I could go on and that's not even anyone I know personally. Enjoy

1 minute ago, stuartsmfc said:

So you can't go on YouTube and see videos from lots of Muslim converts who have no Muslim background? I'd bet you'd find quite a few so that's not next to no one. If you want type in Hamza Tzortis - english/greek author with a masters in philosophy, yusha Evans - white American, EF dawah - white, ginger Welsh guy,  john fontain - white ginger from Manchester, aburraham green - English. I could go on and that's not even anyone I know personally. Enjoy

You had me believing in the woman faced, peacock tailed horse which carried Mohammed from Mecca to Jerusalem until you mentioned gingers are into it. 

Where in the Quran does it ask you to question that Muhammed was a peadophile? Or the shite about flying horses, meteorites, 40 virgins, dressing a certain way, praying 5 times a day in a certain direction, dictating things you can't eat and drink, having beards, denying women rights, having to visit a big stone, fasting, stoning, no interest in banking, halal, only using the right hand for eating and all the rest of the madly ludicrous bullshit that is either laughable nonsense or outright hateful?

19 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Where in the Quran does it ask you to question that Muhammed was a peadophile? Or the shite about flying horses, meteorites, 40 virgins, dressing a certain way, praying 5 times a day in a certain direction, dictating things you can't eat and drink, having beards, denying women rights, having to visit a big stone, fasting, stoning, no interest in banking, halal, only using the right hand for eating and all the rest of the madly ludicrous bullshit that is either laughable nonsense or outright hateful?

Everything you just said can be answered by a simple search on YouTube. I'm not here to answer to rhetoric straight off of a Britain first or Tommy Robinson page. I'd maybe search for someone who actually knows about the religion though, not some right wing fanny with an agenda. 

Right wing :lol:

Britain First :lol:

So you won't be answering anything and instead will throw out hilarious accusations. 

Can you answer this one; what is it that I said do you believe to be from a Britain First page? Was there actually anything incorrect in what I said?

I should add that it's you who brought this particular religion in to this. Had you mentioned any other religion I would be asking about their ludicrous and hateful views.

2 hours ago, stuartsmfc said:

IMO: The religious answers don't make sense and just lead to a hundred more questions.

For example, we get told about Adam and Eve and a talking snake!  I have never encountered a talking snake and apparently it is not a sin to continue to eat apples but never mind that.  If incest is wrong, how did Adam and Eve ever have grandchildren?

3 hours ago, stuartsmfc said:

This again goes along with the fallacy that religion and science contradict each other. Do you know where science originated?

it's not a fallacy.

Religions explain the world with magic.

Science shows that the causes of phenomena are natural.

religions keep moving goalposts and pretending they never tried to literally explain anything.

Lots of scientists have been religious because the world was religious, not because religion is scientific.

Science has succeeded despite opposition from religion.

Spare us the bullshit. religion is made up nonsense that does more harm than good. 

3 hours ago, The OP said:

This is such a fundamental point. As a predictor of a person's religion, their parents' religion(s) absolutely slaughters all other candidate predictors. If I were modelling this (again), I wouldn't even use any other factors. In the US, there is some statistically significant (inverse) correlation between educational level and adherence to a religion; but it's swamped by the parents' beliefs.

It's as strong a predictor as deprivation is for educational attainment (and also for many other things).

On the specific Olympians point: anyone professing actual belief in and devotion to those deities, in the UK, in the present day, would be almost universally considered to be insane. It's the converse of the "from the parents" point - "expired" religions are obvious nonsense, to everyone. 

34 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

IMO: The religious answers don't make sense and just lead to a hundred more questions.

For example, we get told about Adam and Eve and a talking snake!  I have never encountered a talking snake and apparently it is not a sin to continue to eat apples but never mind that.  If incest is wrong, how did Adam and Eve ever have grandchildren?

It's a very common misconception that adam and eve were the first people. 

God created man on the 6th day, then had a day off because it was sunday. Then he created Adam and Eve. Their children went among "the children of men", who were already kicking about. 

Adam and Eve were the first of God's people- it is the creation myth of the "people of the book", not of all people.

Archived