Do you like religion?

23 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Think it’s safe to say Islam has the best fans, a very hostile atmosphere in their ultra section. Very much doubt that Jesus could do it on a cold, rainy night in Mecca.

very limited selection of songs and chants though - that "allahu akbar" dirge really grates after the 400'th rendition - it's not the Sheffield United version of Annie's Song, or Cliftonville doing The Time Warp, is it ?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

I wouldn't say believing or following more absolute mentals / fictional characters makes something more complete or makes most sense tbh.

All religion is so blatantly made up, it would genuinely be laughable if so many mugs didn't believe it.

Agree about the wars though. Humans have always found ways to sort themselves into sides then kill each other. Religion's just another excuse.

You wouldn't say that because you clearly have no understanding or knowledge about the stories of the prophets or Islam. It's a bit daft to label all religion as nonsense unless you have read every text, which I bet you haven't.

15 minutes ago, stuartsmfc said:

You wouldn't say that because you clearly have no understanding or knowledge about the stories of the prophets or Islam. It's a bit daft to label all religion as nonsense unless you have read every text, which I bet you haven't.

No it is perfectly rational to label all religion as daft.

Of course rationalism and religious beliefs are polar opposites so it’s understandable that religious people or their apologists do not understand this.

9 hours ago, Herman Hessian said:

very limited selection of songs and chants though - that "allahu akbar" dirge really grates after the 400'th rendition - it's not the Sheffield United version of Annie's Song, or Cliftonville doing The Time Warp, is it ?

Nothing compares to Ummah.

2018-10-27-09-28-54--897348234.jpeg

You only have to imagine Scotland without the whole Catholic / proddy shit to realise religion is not worth a f**k.  Most of the ungodly acts committed in the last two thousand years have been done by men of god. Human beings are that arrogant they think there's a special place to go to when they die , they don't want to accept they're going in a hole in the ground to be eaten by worms.

1 hour ago, stuartsmfc said:

Of course I haven't. And very obviously I don't need to. I've read/seen/heard enough to know that what I do know about them is nonsense. Any stuff I haven't read doesn't even have the potential to negate the nonsense I do know about them.

1 hour ago, stuartsmfc said:

I haven’t read all of Harry Potter. I don’t expect it will explain the world better than millennia of accumulated scientific knowledge either.

3 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I haven’t read all of Harry Potter. I don’t expect it will explain the world better than millennia of accumulated scientific knowledge either.

This again goes along with the fallacy that religion and science contradict each other. Do you know where science originated?

19 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

Last year I went to the funeral of an old band member from way back. He was of Italian descent and born Catholic, but had categorically and emphatically lapsed as soon as he was old enough to make up his own mind.

Unfortunately, his extended family had decided to go the whole religious hog for the funeral - I know 100% it's the last thing he would have wanted, but I guess what they wanted won the day once he wasn't there to express an opinion anymore.

Even more unfortunately, the priest realised he was for the most part in a room full of heathens and launched into a chastisement of the mourners - a lengthy and impassioned full-on "you can maybe avoid burning in hell if you repent and come over/back to us" spiel.

Going by the growing undercurrent of restive shuffling and sotto voce muttering as this carried on, I got the feeling someone was eventually going to crack and tell him to take a f**k to himself, but the mood was lightened by our old drummer unsuccessfully trying to stifle a burp which echoed round the place like a gunshot.

I don't really have too much of a problem with this. After all, funerals are really for those left behind rather than the actual dead person.

My family do lots of stupid things, but one thing I'm happy about is that more or less everyone's attitude to funeral planning is 'whatever the family want'. It's for them and I think that's fair enough.

For my funeral, I'll be dead. Could not give a monkey's what is or is not done for it.

5 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

I don't really have too much of a problem with this. After all, funerals are really for those left behind rather than the actual dead person.

My family do lots of stupid things, but one thing I'm happy about is that more or less everyone's attitude to funeral planning is 'whatever the family want'. It's for them and I think that's fair enough.

For my funeral, I'll be dead. Could not give a monkey's what is or is not done for it.

Maybe they'll drape a Hibs top on the coffin and play "Sunshine on Leith" as the coffin disappears.

Being an atheist I don’t really care what happens to me after I die but I had never considered the idea someone might want to give me a christian funeral with all the trimmings. To be honest I wouldn’t be too happy with my death being exploited to propagate some lies. Also, in my experience, catholic funerals go on forever so I think it would be a bit harsh to put other people through that.

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

Maybe they'll drape a Hibs top on the coffin and play "Sunshine on Leith" as the coffin disappears.

This would probably cause eyebrows to raise as my mostly Hearts-supporting family looked on, but I'd still be dead and unaware.

26 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

I'm in the same boat - as far as I'm concerned, once I've pegged it stick me in a rubble sack and bung me in the shed...what am I going to do, come back and haunt them?

In this case though there was just something about it that stuck in my throat, and from speaking afterwards to other folk that were there I know I wasn't alone. Knowing the guy as well as I did over the years and having heard him eloquently rage against religion on more than one occasion, it just seemed that the family members who'd set it up either didn't know him all that well or maybe just ignored all the available evidence and went for the default option.

2 hours ago, stuartsmfc said:

So if somebody claimed the moon was made of cheese and wrote a book about it - I would have to read the whole book before I could say "No it is not."

3 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

So if somebody claimed the moon was made of cheese and wrote a book about it - I would have to read the whole book before I could say "No it is not."

Bit of a stupid example tbh. Religion for the most part deals with fundamental questions that humans have asked since the beginning of time.  If you don't care why we are here and if there's a meaning of life then don't look any further. But if you do then religion can answer those questions for you. I'm not saying it's for everyone but it's naive to suggest that everyone who follows a religion is dumb and irrational. From people I know, they came to their faith pretty rationally tbh. 

9 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

I'm in the same boat - as far as I'm concerned, once I've pegged it stick me in a rubble sack and bung me in the shed...what am I going to do, come back and haunt them?

In this case though there was just something about it that stuck in my throat, and from speaking afterwards to other folk that were there I know I wasn't alone. Knowing the guy as well as I did over the years and having heard him eloquently rage against religion on more than one occasion, it just seemed that the family members who'd set it up either didn't know him all that well or maybe just ignored all the available evidence and went for the default option.

With any luck.

25 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

This would probably cause eyebrows to raise as my mostly Hearts-supporting family looked on, but I'd still be dead and unaware.

Actually, if it is like some funerals I have been to - your friends would probably sing it (maybe through gritted teeth) out of respect for you and admire how you had a laugh at their expense from beyond the grave.

More typically it has been Scotsmen having to sing "Jerusalem" and Englishmen having to sing "Flower of Scotland."

Archived