Larkhall Thistle 2018/2019 Thread

BigJasper

On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 23:51, kilsyth ranger said:

nnFelt a bit for larky today , they started well today an scored a belter off a goal , we equalized then should have had a stonewall penalty , larky broke and should have made it 2-1 , we missed a good few chances before half time but i thought larky fought hard enough to be on level terms at half time .
2nd half was a different story took over and scored 8 goals , could have been more , i disagree with u saying some players chucked it , i thought they fought till the end and played some nice football at times , but the problem obviously is when u lose a few goals the heads go down , keep at it , we've all been there at one time , it's painful at the moment but better times will come back to Larkhall thistle i'm sure off that .

Holders of all these proud records,  famous Larkie- the greatest nursery in Junior football-----------we will return.

I just hope it dosent take as long as General MacArthur, or has as many casualties.  I feel like KIA

Edited by larkyforever

4 hours ago, larkyforever said:

Holders of all these proud records,  famous Larkie- the greatest nursery in Junior football-----------we will return.

I just hope it dosent take as log as General MacArthur

Aye hopefully mate, Wishaw, Bellshill, even the Albert themselves have come back from being a lot worse off than Thistle are now. I remember going to see Albert in what was supposed to be their last ever game down on the park beside where the stadium used to be, The Venue took the team over and they played as a pub team for a couple of years and they built it from there.

20 hours ago, The real Dembele said:

Aye hopefully mate, Wishaw, Bellshill, even the Albert themselves have come back from being a lot worse off than Thistle are now. I remember going to see Albert in what was supposed to be their last ever game down on the park beside where the stadium used to be, The Venue took the team over and they played as a pub team for a couple of years and they built it from there.

We are where we are and I know people are working hard to get us out of it.

However, I hope something of the soul of the Club hasn't been so damaged that we bob along the bottom for a long time and all our proud history and achievements become lost in the mists of time and we are not perceived the way we used to be.

4 hours ago, larkyforever said:

We are where we are and I know people are working hard to get us out of it.

However, I hope something of the soul of the Club hasn't been so damaged that we bob along the bottom for a long time and all our proud history and achievements become lost in the mists of time and we are not perceived the way we used to be.

Not being funny mate but the proud history and achievements are pretty much lost in the mists of time already. I've been going on and off since the 70s and can only remember getting to two finals,  the Dryburgh Cup at Shettleston which Thistle won and I think the Sectional Cup against Bellshill at Partick which they lost 3-0. I think there were one or two in between these but not many. The only minor successes in the last 20+ years were a spell in the inaugural Superleage Premier after going close to winning the final Central First Division, just losing out on the last day to Johnstone Burgh and a Scottish Cup quarter final defeat at home to Arthurlie.

So junior supporters under the age of 50 probably see Thistle as a lower league side who haven't achieved much not as some big name with a reputation.

8 hours ago, The real Dembele said:

several RJnn A Not being funny mate but the proud history and achievements are pretty much lost in the mists of time already. I've been going on and off since the 70s and can only remember getting to two finals,  the Dryburgh Cup at Shettleston which Thistle won and I think the Sectional Cup against Bellshill at Partick which they lost 3-0. I think there were one or two in between these but not many. The only minor successes in the last 20+ years were a spell in the inaugural Superleage Premier after going close to winning the final Central First Division, just losing out on the last day to Johnstone Burgh and a Scottish Cup quarter final defeat at home to Arthurlie.

So junior supporters under the age of 50 probably see Thistle as a lower league side who haven't achieved much not as some big name with a reputation.

In that time off the top of my head;  7 Sectional League Cup final appearances, 2 wins, ( 1 v Pollok, 1 v Shotts ) 5 losses ( 3 to Pollok, 1 to Petershill, 1 to Bellshill ); 1 West of Scotland final loss to Irvine Meadow; 3  Evening Times Cup Finals, all lost, the last one to Kilsyth; another Dryborough Cup Final lost to a very good Kello Rovers team  4-3, the outstanding John Blackwood missing a sitter; A couple of Central Cup wins , several RJ  McLeod Cup wins ( one the same week as the Dryborough Cup win at Shettleston )several losses... more if I put my mind to it. Lots of decent players and teams through that period.  Despite the odd screw-up in the Scottish- like at Lugar for example---we had some great days. Players like Gerry Hamilton, Pat Barkey, John Mulholland, Billy Thomas, Peter Allan, Eric Alexander etc at different periods would have graced any team in Scotland. Tommy Burns , Tam Devine were great keepers.

Since that time we were challenging in the 80s and 90s  and for a spell seemed well established in the Premier League, then were relegated.

The point is we were challenging and prominent, even if up and down- and we had our history behind us, and teams were very wary of coming to Larkie

Edited by larkyforever

3 hours ago, larkyforever said:

In that time off the top of my head;  7 Sectional League Cup final appearances, 2 wins, ( 1 v Pollok, 1 v Shotts ) 5 losses ( 3 to Pollok, 1 to Petershill, 1 to Bellshill ); 1 West of Scotland final loss to Irvine Meadow; 3  Evening Times Cup Finals, all lost, the last one to Kilsyth; another Dryborough Cup Final lost to a very good Kello Rovers team  4-3, the outstanding John Blackwood missing a sitter; A couple of Central Cup wins , several RJ  McLeod Cup wins ( one the same week as the Dryborough Cup win at Shettleston )several losses... more if I put my mind to it. Lots of decent players and teams through that period.  Despite the odd screw-up in the Scottish- like at Lugar for example---we had some great days. Players like Gerry Hamilton, Pat Barkey, John Mulholland, Billy Thomas, Peter Allan, Eric Alexander etc at different periods would have graced any team in Scotland. Tommy Burns , Tam Devine were great keepers.

Since that time we were challenging in the 80s and 90s  and for a spell seemed well established in the Premier League, then were relegated.

The point is we were challenging and prominent, even if up and down- and we had our history behind us, and teams were very wary of coming to Larkie

I bow to your superior knowledge of Thistle history mate, I only went to the games occasionally before the mid 90s and assume most of these finals took place then.

However I think my point still stands, they were a long time ago in mostly minor competitions and mostly defeats. The run in the Premier League lasted three seasons or four at the most and ended when the money they had at the time ran out, resulting in a swift drop to the very bottom before promotion to the old Central First for umpteen years.

It's a romantic notion that teams fear going to Larkhall, maybe once but not now and it looks unlikely it will ever be like that again.

I bow to your superior knowledge of Thistle history mate, I only went to the games occasionally before the mid 90s and assume most of these finals took place then.
However I think my point still stands, they were a long time ago in mostly minor competitions and mostly defeats. The run in the Premier League lasted three seasons or four at the most and ended when the money they had at the time ran out, resulting in a swift drop to the very bottom before promotion to the old Central First for umpteen years.
It's a romantic notion that teams fear going to Larkhall, maybe once but not now and it looks unlikely it will ever be like that again.

The most important factor here is the stability of the club,we have seen in the past junior clubs throwing money about and then dropping down the leagues,yes Larkhall dropped down the leagues a right few year ago,before we stabilised and,then got promoted,yes we will go down this year,but we will have stability in league 1 and then go again,my point really in all of this is,when the money men start too pull their money out of Junior clubs that's when we will see other teams in dire straits,now Larkhall have never been in a position to throw money at success and we never will
Stability and our proud tradition is far more important,we will be alright

2 hours ago, larky9 said:

The most important factor here is the stability of the club,we have seen in the past junior clubs throwing money about and then dropping down the leagues,yes Larkhall dropped down the leagues a right few year ago,before we stabilised and,then got promoted,yes we will go down this year,but we will have stability in league 1 and then go again,my point really in all of this is,when the money men start too pull their money out of Junior clubs that's when we will see other teams in dire straits,now Larkhall have never been in a position to throw money at success and we never will

Thats not true either. In the past we were comparatively wealthy by Junior standards, decent crowds, social club, even tote doubles, junior discos etc. We were able to pay decent money and transfers. You seem totally unaware of this, we were not a pauper club, and certainly not regarded as such. No disrespect to the other Lanarkshire clubs, but we always on a higher level with perhaps the exception of Shotts and sometimes the Vics.

Income streams seem to have dried up. Committee size only 1/3 of what it was in the 70s

2 hours ago, larky9 said:

Absolutely mate, agree 100% with that, it needs to be sustainable. We've seen some of the boys thrown into the first team this season due to neccessity more than anything else but if there's a pathway for them into the first team it should encourage them and hopefully produce more players. The prime example of course being Graham Gracie but it's a few years now since he broke through and I can't recall many if any others coming up through the ranks and establishing themselves like he has done, this has got to be the way forward.

5 minutes ago, larkyforever said:

Thats not true either. In the past we were comparatively wealthy by Junior standards, decent crowds, social club, even tote doubles, junior discos etc. We were able to pay decent money and transfers. You seem totally unaware of this, we were not a pauper club, and certainly not regarded as such. No disrespect to the other Lanarkshire clubs, but we always on a higher level with perhaps the exception of Shotts and sometimes the Vics.

Income streams seem to have dried up. Committee size only 1/3 of what it was in the 70s

With all due respect mate need to focus on the here and now, the past has gone and you need to see the situation for what it is now.

I'm not saying we were a pauper club,what I am saying is we will never throw money at trying to get success
When was the last time time Larkhall paid better wages,than what the players are getting paid now ?
If I'm honest in that question it probably was in the 90s

4 minutes ago, The real Dembele said:

With all due respect mate need to focus on the here and now, the past has gone and you need to see the situation for what it is now.

I agree with you.

I was just correcting Larky9.  We are where we are- I know guys are working hard, but the decline is so great and the guys so few by past standards, I worry.

The opportunities should be there; Larkhall is a decent sized town ( 16,  000 ) (( much bigger than most towns with successful Junior Clubs, is football-mad, Rangers are not the force they were,

has the history behind it, and past players loved the club ( until last year ).  We own our own place, have done since 1881, and Im sure there is huge local affection and latent support.

Were not getting into it

4 hours ago, The real Dembele said:

Sorry, but I dont think it does.  I have results dating back to 1965, and our home record up until the recent decline is hugely positive.

There are teams beating us now who had NEVER beaten us, a 3 I can think of with 2 victories against us in  40 years.

The Sectional League Cup , West of Scotland, Evening Times Cup & Dryborough Cup were not to my mind minor trophies. I would put the McLeod & Central cups in that category.

The point is, we were COMPETITIVE in all competitions. I was sick of Pollok beating us in so many finals in the 80s.

Have a great night & best wishes---- we will return. 

Sorry, but I dont think it does.  I have results dating back to 1965, and our home record up until the recent decline is hugely positive.
There are teams beating us now who had NEVER beaten us, a 3 I can think of with 2 victories against us in  40 years.
The Sectional League Cup , West of Scotland, Evening Times Cup & Dryborough Cup were not to my mind minor trophies. I would put the McLeod & Central cups in that category.
The point is, we were COMPETITIVE in all competitions. I was sick of Pollok beating us in so many finals in the 80s.
Football is a funny old game,I remember the good old days as well,especially the 80s,but there is know point looking back,it's what happens from here on in that matters,and no doubt we will get there

15 hours ago, larky9 said:
15 hours ago, larkyforever said:

Football is a funny old game,I remember the good old days as well,especially the 80s,but there is know point looking back,it's what happens from here on in that matters,and no doubt we will get there

Lets not take too long about it

57 minutes ago, larky9 said:

Larkyforever if you put in a right few grand things will move even more quicker emoji2.pngemoji2.pngemoji2.pngemoji2.pngemoji23.png

larky9, to help Jags to be a bit more competitive you have been given the power to pick 4 Thistle players from the past, & any 4 players playing in today’s game. Talbot players are unavailable. What would your selections be ?