Lots of young players snubbing moves to Acacdemy sides?

The Bossman99

My pal scouts for a premier team academy on the East Coast and he's saying that its becoming harder and harder to get players to move to Academy football.  Seems  a lot of boys just want to stay and play with their pals in boys club football - and that outside of the real elite teams - it seems that moving to an Academy from a good boys club is not seen as a step up at all - as the perception of quality is not great.  I was pretty surprised at this - but apparently more and more players are rejecting the advances of senior clubs.  Good for boys club fitba I sppose?

I guess more work needs to be done here then explaining to the boys the vision of getting to the first team and explaining that right now it might not be a step up but they have the potential to become professional football players, a bit like when Gilmour signed for Chelsea he was presented with a proper route into the first team squad. Not saying all boys should get this although it could be explained better for their potential aspirations.

• 2 months later...

In my opinion, the step up to professional clubs should not be until they are 15. It is much better for youngsters to stay at well run boys club for a few years playing with mates and standing out if they are good. It encourages kids to showcase how good they are knowing they may well be watched by others. If you stick them all into academies at 12/13 it is just a sanitised environment for them to develop and they lose the desire and competitive edge to succeed. 

At boys club level our entire team had the chance to move under the umbrella of a senior club - only 1 player jumped over and they lasted a year when they saw it was not the same and they missed the big games at boys club level playing against local teams with a chance of winning things.

If your good enough then why try to force it so early?

6 hours ago, latapythelegend said:

In my opinion, the step up to professional clubs should not be until they are 15. It is much better for youngsters to stay at well run boys club for a few years playing with mates and standing out if they are good. It encourages kids to showcase how good they are knowing they may well be watched by others. If you stick them all into academies at 12/13 it is just a sanitised environment for them to develop and they lose the desire and competitive edge to succeed. 

At boys club level our entire team had the chance to move under the umbrella of a senior club - only 1 player jumped over and they lasted a year when they saw it was not the same and they missed the big games at boys club level playing against local teams with a chance of winning things.

If your good enough then why try to force it so early?

Totally depends on the boys club organisation you'd think, i agree that game time is vital, but if a player is much too good for his bous club level and is literally strolling through games, he might be better off going to an academy and learning/playing with guys/against guys of his own ability level

• 2 months later...

As always there is no one answer to this. Some boys clubs are as good as Professional Pro youth. Pro youth I believe is non-competitive, so boys playing in good leagues like the P&J get a better competitive environment to learn in. There is also an element of everything being weighted in favour of the clubs and boys are too easily cast aside, not always the correct long term decision.

• 2 months later...

The training and coaching at both Edinburgh clubs isn't any better than any good well run boys club  and the way they go about getting kids in is just wrong as well. The glory hunting parents happily force pro youth on their kids when offered the chance as i've seen first hand. Then they swan around telling everyone their son play for this team or that team. It's an ego thing for most of them. There's not many who do reject it. It's easy to say you would, when there's no offer on the table, but you get that phone call and the dream is sold, your head is turned. I've seen so many boys clubs being pillaged by these pro youth clubs and more often than not, the kids are released shortly after completely different players and people, and not for the better. Then the parents are left hawking their kid around other pro clubs desperate to keep them in the system. The whole thing is a sham. 99% of the boys who go into pro youth are nothing more than jersey fillers anyway. Most are there to make up the numbers and ensure these pro clubs can field teams in their glorified friendlies. 

On 16/01/2019 at 10:47, shugsterk said:

The training and coaching at both Edinburgh clubs isn't any better than any good well run boys club  and the way they go about getting kids in is just wrong as well. The glory hunting parents happily force pro youth on their kids when offered the chance as i've seen first hand. Then they swan around telling everyone their son play for this team or that team. It's an ego thing for most of them. There's not many who do reject it. It's easy to say you would, when there's no offer on the table, but you get that phone call and the dream is sold, your head is turned. I've seen so many boys clubs being pillaged by these pro youth clubs and more often than not, the kids are released shortly after completely different players and people, and not for the better. Then the parents are left hawking their kid around other pro clubs desperate to keep them in the system. The whole thing is a sham. 99% of the boys who go into pro youth are nothing more than jersey fillers anyway. Most are there to make up the numbers and ensure these pro clubs can field teams in their glorified friendlies. 

I feel at Hearts the coaching structure has changed massively since I played under 19s 7-8 years ago.

Things such as Box Soccer, and individual player development. I know a young lad who is almost certain to get picked up from Tynecastle Boys Club a fantastic keeper and it's only a matter of time as there has been clubs sniffing around before and rightly so.

On 17/01/2019 at 13:32, junglehenry said:

I feel at Hearts the coaching structure has changed massively since I played under 19s 7-8 years ago.

Things such as Box Soccer, and individual player development. I know a young lad who is almost certain to get picked up from Tynecastle Boys Club a fantastic keeper and it's only a matter of time as there has been clubs sniffing around before and rightly so.

There is talk that Aberdeen have won that race. 

On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 10:47, shugsterk said:

That's as good  and accurate summary as you will see .Spot on in every sense .

On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 10:47, shugsterk said:

I've always thought that the development of young players with professional clubs is one of the most ineffective processes you will find. They are taking players at younger and younger ages, basically anyone who has any potential to kick a ball straight. The nature of sport is such that the success rate is never going to be high but with the current systems it seems ridiculously low. I've no magic answer but surely someone can come up with a radical alternative.

On 20/01/2019 at 08:45, shugsterk said:

There is talk that Aberdeen have won that race. 

Was speaking to Gordon Marshall yesterday, he was down at Forrestors HS. He comes down to Edinburgh at weekends and does all age groups upto first team at Aberdeen.

9 hours ago, Northboy said:

I've always thought that the development of young players with professional clubs is one of the most ineffective processes you will find. They are taking players at younger and younger ages, basically anyone who has any potential to kick a ball straight. The nature of sport is such that the success rate is never going to be high but with the current systems it seems ridiculously low. I've no magic answer but surely someone can come up with a radical alternative.

I'd imagine the turn-over is outrageous. Alot harder for a keeper to make it in the game aswell.

Archived