Do you like the Scottish?

Do you like the Scottish?  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Scotland is a great country but we lack belief in ourselves. Also we need to stop the jealous nonsense with England.

England this England that, leave then. Err no.

Pathetic.

Examples?

12 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:
23 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:
Examples?

We voted no in a referendum despite moaning about Westminster rule for decades. The only country to ever do this.

And how does that show jealousy for England?

7 hours ago, ICTChris said:

ETA - I just saw where that photo came from, what an awful story.  What a world.

I like Scotland, I'm glad I was born here and am privileged to live here.  Most people are alright, including most Scots.

Fucking hell. I wish curiosity hadn't got the better of me there. 

On 17/06/2018 at 07:18, throbber said:

On the east coast maybe in places like Fraserburgh but the highlanders have very easy accents to understand.

I believe the 'Inverness' accent, which IMO stretches from Nairn in the East, to about Aviemore in the south, and as far North as Dorncoch, came about during big Oliver Cromwell's Scottish campaign.

I think in this part of the world up until the 17th Century we spoke Gaelic, then he decided 'Fuck this lads, I have no fucking idea what you lot are saying' and made everyone speak English.  Hence why they say Inverness has the accent closest to 'The Queens'.  We went straight from once language to the other with no chance for us to develop a twang like Weegie, Gadgie, Doric etc.

I've noticed a trend when people are giving Tories and Labour abuse that you hear the line "all MPs are the same, I dinnae trust any of them"

Then when it's folk from the SNP it's a personal slagging of that person and they are "an embarrassment to Scotland"

Too many Scots seem to want their political leaders all noncey and that honestly doesn't make you OFTW

I remember getting some training at work about a dozen years ago, 

It was taken by some Academic from Edinburgh University and was about Scottishness, and our tendency to talk ourselves, and things in general, down.  She'd written a book about it and she was a good presenter.  The more she talked about our dourness and attempted to contrast it with American sunny self confidence however, the more proud I became of being Scottish.

I genuinely think our negativity (if it really is a national trait) is one of the best things about us. 

There's stuff I don't like.  I don't for instance think it says great things about us that such a huge proportion identify with the OF.  I also think that lots of Glaswegians make the mistake of thinking we're all as enamoured of them as they are.

A certain cynical reserve however, is a quality.

35 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

The Scottish negativity sucks.
It’s the reason we’re so self deprecating about everything we do and what we can achieve.

In contrast the English are the opposite. Overly confident about themselves and the massive shit hole that is England.

I remember when I worked dahn sarf and a bellend tried to slag me for coming from Glasgow. He also said that Scotchland was shit.

The bellend was from Croydon.

I’m still laughing at him 10 years on.

50 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Politics forum for this pish please.

Aye I thought I'd stumbled into just that by accident.

The association of patriotism and it's opposite with how you voted in the referendum is nonsense. People who voted no may have voted because they wanted to stay in the EU (our status, back then, looked more secure as part of the UK), or because the economic case was unconvincing, and built on oil, whose price dropped hugely the year after. Some "No" voters would argue that theirs was the more responsible vote and the most patriotic.

I love the dourness and dry humour that you don't seem to get in the states and down south (the deep south, Londonshire), and I fuckin love Scottish football. 

I hate the shite diet and the way we treat cirrhosis as a life goal.

1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

The Scottish negativity sucks.
It’s the reason we’re so self deprecating about everything we do and what we can achieve.

In contrast the English are the opposite. Overly confident about themselves and the massive shit hole that is England.

Self deprecation is endearing.

Much moreso than its opposite, certainly.

Archived