Do you like the Scottish?

Do you like the Scottish?  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It gets no more Glaswegian than this.

I’m not actually from Glasgow but I was 25 living in a village with a population of about 2000 people where I didn’t know a soul. I went to the driving range during the week to pass the time but it got dark about 2pm so my activities were limited. I didn’t fancy wasting my weekends staying up there myself with nothing to do. What would non Glaswegians do in that situation?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

I feel as if I have sold my soul to the devil sticking up for Aberdeenshire twice on two threads but winters in The Shire can be utterly glorious - especially with a hefty layer of snow.

The apotheosis of dreich?  Walking down Edinburgh's high street in the late afternoon in the drizzle in Nov or Feb.  The sky is grey, the buildings are grey and the wee bit of the Forth Estuary that you see is grey.  It's like entering a monochrome world.  Far worse than anything you'll see in Aberdeenshire.

If Gincardine doesn't like somewhere then you know it's good. Like an unintentional Edinburgh grandad poster boy. 

6 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I’m not actually from Glasgow but I was 25 living in a village with a population of about 2000 people where I didn’t know a soul. I went to the driving range during the week to pass the time but it got dark about 2pm so my activities were limited. I didn’t fancy wasting my weekends staying up there myself with nothing to do. What would non Glaswegians do in that situation?

WAT?

Sidetracking a wee bit but do have some sympathy for this tbh , i was in shetland from age 20- 23 working with a 90% local squad. No one was outwardly hostile towards me and the boys at work were mostly sound but at the end of the day they all had their lives established. Friends family five asides etc etc most of them were 45 plus and were just going home to have their tea and watch the one show and maybe pump their wife on a good day.

This isn’t so much a city v island issue but more a case that if you go anywhere on your todd its a roll of the dice as to what else you find when you get there . If theres not a couple others in the same or similar situation to you then it can be a lonely existence.

When weegies or Edinburgers are at work and some one new comes from elsewhere, do you include them in your life or do you just carry on as you always done? Bet you never even think about it .

Theres a reason why people seek out expat groups abroad even in other English speaking countries . Locals for the most part don’t reach out to new people

I know High Streets are dying in the UK but Princes is/should be arguably the most iconic in Europe at least. The council have fucked that up massively. 

What has been fucked up around princes street exactly? I’m not there all that often but it doesn’t seem to have changed much in the last few years. When the new St James centre is complete it will be much better anyway.

22 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Sidetracking a wee bit but do have some sympathy for this tbh , i was in shetland from age 20- 23 working with a 90% local squad. No one was outwardly hostile towards me and the boys at work were mostly sound but at the end of the day they all had their lives established. Friends family five asides etc etc most of them were 45 plus and were just going home to have their tea and watch the one show and maybe pump their wife on a good day.

This isn’t so much a city v island issue but more a case that if you go anywhere on your todd its a roll of the dice as to what else you find when you get there . If theres not a couple others in the same or similar situation to you then it can be a lonely existence.

When weegies or Edinburgers are at work and some one new comes from elsewhere, do you include them in your life or do you just carry on as you always done? Bet you never even think about it .

Theres a reason why people seek out expat groups abroad even in other English speaking countries . Locals for the most part don’t reach out to new people

Similar experience to me apart from the island part. Because I’m a contractor most of the jobs I start have been in the central belt and usually you get a warm welcome from most of the other workers, people will make a bit of an effort to speak to you and involve you. Looking at other posts on here it seems I’m not the only one that’s had a bad experience interacting with Aberdonians. 

On 16/02/2019 at 12:42, MixuFixit said:

The one that literally looks like a steaming turd?

The St James centre that looked like a steaming turd has long since been ripped down and there is a massive job there to build the new one, think its complete in 2022. The old building was a disgrace, I have no idea how anyone let it be built in that area as it looked so out of place compared to all the lovely surrounding buildings.

Archived