Do you like the Scottish?

Do you like the Scottish?  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 hours ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

Whenever there's a tragedy or incident in Glasgow and all you fucking hear is how the city came together to overcome it and help each other out. Like any other town or city anywhere would, but no, cause weedgies have managed to stop cutting each other's faces open, injecting drugs and battering f**k out there wives for 20 minutes once every few years were all meant to pat them on the back or something. 

That's hardly unique to Glasgow. It's just the shite social media and the press come out with after any tragic event anywhere.  The London blitz spirit Liverpool uniting across the football divide after Hillsboro',  Nice. NY after 9/11. Boston even made a film about their city pulling together. 

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, JTS98 said:

I'd have given you that a few years ago, but Princes Street now is a tired, sad-looking, run-down mess full of beggars that badly needs some life injected into it.

North side of Princes St is awful, it's a disgrace what's been allowed to happen to it. 

17 hours ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

Whenever there's a tragedy or incident in Glasgow and all you fucking hear is how the city came together to overcome it and help each other out. Like any other town or city anywhere would, but no, cause weedgies have managed to stop cutting each other's faces open, injecting drugs and battering f**k out there wives for 20 minutes once every few years were all meant to pat them on the back or something. 

So true.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

The same thing that's happened to every high street in the country to be fair.

I know High Streets are dying in the UK but Princes is/should be arguably the most iconic in Europe at least. The council have fucked that up massively. 

The whole Glasgow friendliness thing is relative.  I lived there a few years ago and Glaswegians aren't unfriendly...but they aren't as outwardly friendly as people from more rural areas.  They're friendly as far as city people go for example (compare them to Londoners!), but not superduper friendly if you know what I mean.

11 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Aberdeen and the surrounding areas are the strangest place I’ve ever lived and I have been all over the UK. I lived in a wee village called Blackburn and started a job in Ellon just north of Aberdeen and it took about 2 weeks before any of the local workers would even acknowledge me.

They were being kind, fannybaws.  It normally takes a decade.

We spent about 4 years living in Aberdeenshire, between Banchory and Aboyne, when our weans were wee and it was an absolutely delightful place to live.  Possibly one of the nicest parts of The UK?

f**k, I even took my son to Pittodrie a couple of times and bought him an Aberdeen shirt - just to keep up with his pal whose dad was a mad Sheep.

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

Have always thought Princes Street would be better if instead of shops it had all the bars and restaurants that are on George & Rose street.

No doubt about it. Some of the cafe culture plans that have been suggested there and George St would be hard to work in this climate but it's brutal right now and should be changed completely.  It should be the most attractive street in Europe imo and it's a total f**k up from the council at present.

Just now, ICTChris said:

I very rarely go into the centre of Edinburgh but seeing the pictures of Princes Street gardens at the moment is pretty shocking.

Another controversial decision from the council chopping down all those trees and the land gets hammered from the increased size of the Christmas market.  They really don't seem to be interested in maintaining public land for the interests of residents of the city.  

8 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

They were being kind, fannybaws.  It normally takes a decade.

We spent about 4 years living in Aberdeenshire, between Banchory and Aboyne, when our weans were wee and it was an absolutely delightful place to live.  Possibly one of the nicest parts of The UK?

f**k, I even took my son to Pittodrie a couple of times and bought him an Aberdeen shirt - just to keep up with his pal whose dad was a mad Sheep.

The whole place just feels dour and depressing in my opinion, I had a terrible time staying up there. The rent on my house was extortionate, the journey to and from work was a slog and the people were all fandans (the ones I worked with anyway). Maybe I had a bad experience. The golf courses are excellent though I did enjoy them. 

6 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

The whole place just feels dour and depressing in my opinion, I had a terrible time staying up there. The rent on my house was extortionate, the journey to and from work was a slog and the people were all fandans (the ones I worked with anyway). Maybe I had a bad experience. The golf courses are excellent though I did enjoy them. 

Well it's not a cheap part of the country but, "dour and depressing"?  Not my experience at all.  Some absolutely lovely landscapes and I was at about my fittest, walking through the hills with a wean in a backpack, since I stopped playing rugby.

Some absolutely shan accents.  You got that bit right, ken.

8 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Well it's not a cheap part of the country but, "dour and depressing"?  Not my experience at all.  Some absolutely lovely landscapes and I was at about my fittest, walking through the hills with a wean in a backpack, since I stopped playing rugby.

Some absolutely shan accents.  You got that bit right, ken.

Your right there is loads of lovely areas in Aberdeenshire I was wrong to include the whole shire. I played most of the golf courses on the coast and I think the other one I played was Newmachar so that was the only time I really got out into the green space. I drove home every Friday night and back up on Monday morning to limit the time I had to spend there so didn’t get to explore. Driving through the city of Aberdeen though is most certainly dour and depressing.

My car broke down during rush hour one morning at the front of the roundabout near the harbour and it caused even more pandemonium than usual. It’s a horrible place to get around. 

42 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Tram bill is going to loom large in every shit decision they make for 20 years.

It's topic for another thread I suppose. There's lot of residents getting pissed off with the council renting out so much public land to private investors over Christmas and August. I'm up for the tram extension here once it's all over with, can see the benefit in it.

37 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Aberdeen and the Shire in the winter, especially in the rain, has to be one of the most depressing places known to man. Nice enough on a summer's evening though.

I feel as if I have sold my soul to the devil sticking up for Aberdeenshire twice on two threads but winters in The Shire can be utterly glorious - especially with a hefty layer of snow.

The apotheosis of dreich?  Walking down Edinburgh's high street in the late afternoon in the drizzle in Nov or Feb.  The sky is grey, the buildings are grey and the wee bit of the Forth Estuary that you see is grey.  It's like entering a monochrome world.  Far worse than anything you'll see in Aberdeenshire.

Being a teen-a-bowlie from a family of Aberdonians or Doric fowk I used to love visiting the Silver City.

Mind you this was in the heyday oh George Street, St Nicholas Street, Union Street, before even the Coopy building maybe colours my memories.

Last time I was there, 2011, the “city center” was soulless, the Prince of Wales was a fucking disgrace, at least the Kirkgate, Ma’s, the Grill, the Broadsword (I, I ken), the Machar, the Torry we’re still ok.

The rest of the city is a ruin of faux pubs, shite shops and soulless retail parks

I feel as if I have sold my soul to the devil sticking up for Aberdeenshire twice on two threads but winters in The Shire can be utterly glorious - especially with a hefty layer of snow.
The apotheosis of dreich?  Walking down Edinburgh's high street in the late afternoon in the drizzle in Nov or Feb.  The sky is grey, the buildings are grey and the wee bit of the Forth Estuary that you see is grey.  It's like entering a monochrome world.  Far worse than anything you'll see in Aberdeenshire.

I knew you loved us really

Archived