Do you like the Scottish?

Do you like the Scottish?  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

You won't find me defending the People Make Glasgow shtick, I'm not sure it's the people of Glasgow plastering these signs everywhere and more the council who think it's a good tagline (they are wrong).

Related image

FFS that wasn't my point. Can you not leave the office to go for a short walk or something?:lol:

A lot of people seem to think that Scotland is the centre of the universe and that the eyes of the world are on us - people commenting about what an embarrassment the SNP are, or how the 'No' vote made us a laughing stock even to people talking about Scottish football in terms of the game being a "laughing stock" or having no credibility.

No-one gives a hoot.   If you think the eyes of the world are on us, they aren't.  

2 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Glaswegians are by far the most insular and parochial of all scots the same as Londoners are of all brits, generally speaking. This isn’t a coincidence the bigger a place and the more amenities it has the less need there is to leave .

I've long felt that a fair proportion of any big city population are naïve about how parochial they are. By necessity in a smaller community you have to interact with the wider world for work, education, health care, entertainment etc. In contrast, in a big city all those things are on your doorstep so you never have to stray far from home.

9 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

The pink colouring could be seen as controversial by some. Wouldn't find that in a liberal city like Edinburgh.

3 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

FFS that wasn't my point. Can you not leave the office to go for a short walk or something?:lol:

Don't think you know what your point was tbh

1 minute ago, Boostin' Kev said:

I have no idea what your point was then. You seem to be under the belief I'm having some sort of fit here when in actual fact I'm having a bit of a laugh on a football forum.

12 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

A lot of people seem to think that Scotland is the centre of the universe and that the eyes of the world are on us - people commenting about what an embarrassment the SNP are, or how the 'No' vote made us a laughing stock even to people talking about Scottish football in terms of the game being a "laughing stock" or having no credibility.

No-one gives a hoot.   If you think the eyes of the world are on us, they aren't.  

You could transfer that to Scottish football too.  No one outside Scotland or North Ireland give a pish about it.  Yet the media and Celtic and Rangers fans think differently.

Whenever there's a tragedy or incident in Glasgow and all you fucking hear is how the city came together to overcome it and help each other out. Like any other town or city anywhere would, but no, cause weedgies have managed to stop cutting each other's faces open, injecting drugs and battering f**k out there wives for 20 minutes once every few years were all meant to pat them on the back or something. 

31 minutes ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

Whenever there's a tragedy or incident in Glasgow and all you fucking hear is how the city came together to overcome it and help each other out. Like any other town or city anywhere would, but no, cause weedgies have managed to stop cutting each other's faces open, injecting drugs and battering f**k out there wives for 20 minutes once every few years were all meant to pat them on the back or something. 

Now we're talking. :guns

Like your signature as well.

22 minutes ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

What is it again,  I'm on mobile? Skinny Man??

It's Skinnyman, used to buy/dj and go to a lot of shows of the UK groups around that time.  Not really into that UK boom bap sound anymore but nice to still seeing people repping it, especially on here.

6 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Most people don't even seem to know where we are. You'd be as well asking folk to point out where Narnia is on the globe.

On the plus side, the Russians will never find us, no matter what Ruth Davidson says.

5 hours ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

To be fair, basically everywhere is like this. Just search "town/city strong" on Twitter anytime there is a tragedy. It's def not a thing unique to Glasgow.

8 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

there's no discernible centre that could take your breath away like the Champs Elysees in Paris, Museumplatz in Vienna, Piazza San Marco in Venice, or - dare I say it - Princes Street in Edinburgh.

I'd have given you that a few years ago, but Princes Street now is a tired, sad-looking, run-down mess full of beggars that badly needs some life injected into it.

Two points stick out for me from this thread.

1) Scotland: I've lived in various countries in Europe and Asia and to a greater or lesser degree all countries are self-obsessed and think the world cares a lot more about them than it really does. Poles used to routinely tell me how embarrassed they were at things that happened there and I didn't have the heart to tell them that the outside world basically doesn't know what's going on in Poland, far less care. Scotland's like that. We get a passing mention on the news when something big happens - like the referendum - but mostly we are just another country. People don't care.

Whether we're likeable or not is a question of taste. Having lived in Asia, one of the things I really, really, really like about Scottish people is our willingness to openly moan about things and to laugh at ourselves. This is not a universal trait. Koreans, for example, are unbelievably defensive about anything whatsoever to do with their country. They will not take criticism and they will not openly criticise their own country, especially to foreigners. Basically, they are babies. I'm very glad we're not like them. They have a longer life-expectancy, they are fitter and healthier etc, but they are joyless, miserable arseholes  with a huge arrogance complex, a terrible work and family culture and a huge suicide problem that stems from their shite society. Scottish people are better than that. I'm delighted to be Scottish and not Korean.

2) Glasgow: Glasgow is good. I know people from small towns get annoyed about being patronised etc, but it's perfectly rational. People from small towns visit Glasgow or hear news about it every day. Why should someone from Glasgow have any idea about Falkirk? It's a place they're unlikely to have any reason to visit or know anything about. It's the same in all countries. People in Korea always know what's going on in Seoul. I live in Seoul and events in a city like Daegu or Pohang are of absolutely no relevance to me. Why should they be?

7 hours ago, Boostin' Kev said:

It's Skinnyman, used to buy/dj and go to a lot of shows of the UK groups around that time.  Not really into that UK boom bap sound anymore but nice to still seeing people repping it, especially on here.

Haha nice, aye, used to get all the taskforce, jehst,  mud fam etc records back in the day. Skinny Man is playing in some youth club or something in Paisley some time soon I heard.

On 17/06/2018 at 05:34, Dee Man said:

I don't like anyone north of, and including, Aberdeen. Mainly because I don't have a scooby what they are saying to be able to judge them so just assume that they are c***s. 

Aberdeen and the surrounding areas are the strangest place I’ve ever lived and I have been all over the UK. I lived in a wee village called Blackburn and started a job in Ellon just north of Aberdeen and it took about 2 weeks before any of the local workers would even acknowledge me. There was a few boys from Leeds who had relocated up there with the job and they were all spot on but the locals were a strange lot. Couldn’t make out a word half the c***s were saying especially the ones from Peterhead and Fraserburgh who seemed to have a different language altogether. They announced redundancies when the oil price fell and I packed my car up the same day and drove the road back to Glasgow and back into a normal civilisation. 

1 hour ago, IrishBhoy said:

Aberdeen and the surrounding areas are the strangest place I’ve ever lived and I have been all over the UK. I lived in a wee village called Blackburn and started a job in Ellon just north of Aberdeen and it took about 2 weeks before any of the local workers would even acknowledge me. There was a few boys from Leeds who had relocated up there with the job and they were all spot on but the locals were a strange lot. Couldn’t make out a word half the c***s were saying especially the ones from Peterhead and Fraserburgh who seemed to have a different language altogether. They announced redundancies when the oil price fell and I packed my car up the same day and drove the road back to Glasgow and back into a normal civilisation. 

Good riddance

Archived